Mass Effect 3 to require EA Origin

Below are answers to the most commonly asked questions about Origin and Mass Effect 3. Thank you for your patience as we have worked to answer them.

1) Will Origin be a requirement to play all versions of Mass Effect 3? (Digital and/or from a retail brick and mortar store)

Yes, Origin is required for all PC editions of Mass Effect 3, physical or digital.

2) Is constant Origin connection required or is it a single one off authentication when the game is first installed. Is there also a limit to the number of installations available?

Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer will require a constant connection.

3) Is Origin required for the retail versions of the game?

Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital.

4) Will ME3 be available on Steam?

During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?

Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

6) I?ve seen reports that Origin is spyware. Is this true?

Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on user?s machines. In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder. This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process.

7) Has the Origin EULA been updated following recent questions in Germany?

The German Origin EULA has been updated. For more information, please review the Origin EULA here: http://www.ea.com/1/product-eulas.

8) Is there a double-opt in for Mass Effect 3 marketing emails for German residents?

Yes, we always adhere to the German requirement of a double opt-in standard for marketing emails. Mass Effect 3 users must opt-in twice to receive these emails.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8975536

Pre order Canceled :(

And then they wonder why people resort to warez. I know I will, in addition to a physical copy.

Unfortunately, that won't save you from Origin...

3) Is Origin required for the retail versions of the game?

Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital.

Probably a good thing I always planned to get the 360 version then, as that's what I've always got the Mass Effect games on, so I want to keep going with my character.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your post a bit there.

I'm just gonna go down the usual route of waiting for it to get cheap.

Trolololol..

Placed a pre-order a few days back.

Looks like I'll be cancelling that.

Yet another game I wanted to play that I shan't be because EA are ******** >.>

I was hoping the boxed version wouldn't come with Origin. Not going to install that junk ever again.

Why can it be so simple on consoles and PCs have to deal with bloatware on top of competent DRM (Securom is a staple for EA releases, this should be no different)....

I'm sorry, but what the **** are you guys angry about ?

I could understand if you're obsessed with video game boxes, but I'll hazard a guess that every single one of you (that plays on the PC, and not the consoles) have a Steam game or two.

I don't like Origin, but this is ridiculous to cancel an order because of that alone.

Hell it's hardly even a DRM.

• Like 1

I could understand if you're obsessed with video game boxes, but I'll hazard a guess that every single one of you (that plays on the PC, and not the consoles) have a Steam game or two.

I don't like Origin, but this is ridiculous to cancel an order because of that alone.

The reason why so many of us don't like Origin is because it was only created because EA had a little tiff with Valve over selling their DLC on Steam (EA wanted to sell it through their own stores, instead of through the Steam store, like their games are sold, and how every other developer sells their DLC with no problems), and Origin is the result of their tantrum.

That's hardly a reason for people to cancel pre-orders and "boycott" EA.

And well, if say, you, think that Origin is EA's way of throwing a fit, I'd say that this "boycott" by some users just as silly :)

• Like 1

This will be the same with every major EA game being released from now until forever or when steam decides to open up it's third party management and interaction with customers.

If you refuse to use origin it's a matter of simplicity - your choice, your loss, you don't get to play the game.

• Like 1

I was hoping the boxed version wouldn't come with Origin. Not going to install that junk ever again.

Why can it be so simple on consoles and PCs have to deal with bloatware on top of competent DRM (Securom is a staple for EA releases, this should be no different)....

The last EA game to have DRM was Spore I believe. since that EA is the biggest publisher to be more or less DRM free, just using license keys, and or Steam or origin. and this is no more restrictive than any steam so I don't see a problem for all the whiners. beyond using it as an excuse to pirate.

• Like 1

The fact that Origin scans all the file on your PC and that the EULA says that EA can do anything with that should be enough to refuse Origin.

Now if you don't care, maybe you missed all the cases where people got BAN from Origin and lost all their games? You know, like people who got banned for quoting something on the EA forum, that's just ridiculous.

Moreover, some people got debited 2/3 times for a single buyout, and EA supports is one of the worst in the world.

So yeah, Origin is a good reason to NOT buy mass effect 3.

The reason why so many of us don't like Origin is because it was only created because EA had a little tiff with Valve over selling their DLC on Steam (EA wanted to sell it through their own stores, instead of through the Steam store, like their games are sold, and how every other developer sells their DLC with no problems), and Origin is the result of their tantrum.

Patches was a bigger area of concern, Steam demanded patches be done through their system instead of through EA's own in game or client delivery. meanign EA would have to maintain two patch system for all their games. same with DLC they would need to maintain two different system because Steam/Valve is being morons. Maintaining two patching system even fairly automated is very costly. it's not just about patching, even after the patch is tested, and found to work, it also needs to be fully tested again, after going through the patching system, dual patch delivery system effectively doubles the patch Q&A.

I hope no one is actually surprised by this move.

The fact that Origin scans all the file on your PC and that the EULA says that EA can do anything with that should be enough to refuse Origin.

Now if you don't care, maybe you missed all the cases where people got BAN from Origin and lost all their games? You know, like people who got banned for quoting something on the EA forum, that's just ridiculous.

Moreover, some people got debited 2/3 times for a single buyout, and EA supports is one of the worst in the world.

So yeah, Origin is a good reason to NOT buy mass effect 3.

It's interesting you say that because the two times I had to use EA support chat, it worked out quite nicely. They even gave me a coupon for 50% off a game as well for my trouble.

• Like 1

Except you know, it doesn't do that.

You know, like people who got banned for quoting something on the EA forum, that's just ridiculous.

You mean people canget punished for acting like idiots and flaming and mockiingother people all posting how to cheat in the games.. NO WAY!!

I hope no one is actually surprised by this move.

It's interesting you say that because the two times I had to use EA support chat, it worked out quite nicely. They even gave me a coupon for 50% off a game as well for my trouble.

indeed, I've heard only good things about Origin support, most people get refunded right away, not weeks later, and they always give you a 50% coupon, and they're always fast, especially if you use the chat, even on mail at most it's a day. now try that with Steam :)

• Like 2

Some PC gamers laugh at the closed systems of consoles but they seem to want a closed system on the PC, that being only Steam.

Origin isn't as bad as say Ubisoft's efforts in the PC space so just enjoy the game. Steam is nice but you can't expect everyone to bow before it.

• Like 2

Some PC gamers laugh at the closed systems of consoles but they seem to want a closed system on the PC, that being only Steam.

Origin isn't as bad as say Ubisoft's efforts in the PC space so just enjoy the game. Steam is nice but you can't expect everyone to bow before it.

I wasn't aware people hated the closed system so much as they hated the prospect of having a one-purpose machine that you can't upgrade. Any geek in his rightful mind wants one piece of software to perform more than one function, and doesn't like having multiple softwares that overlap in purpose.

• Like 1

I was mad when I bought Halflife 2 and was forced to install Steam. EA has a right to use Origin to attract more customers and keep them with Origin, so they can generate more sales. Sure they need to lear a thing or two, and mostly listen to their customers, and I'm talking about customers who use common sense. I'm hoping Origin can improve in the future, because face it, you want to play some good games, you're going to have to use it, just like Steam.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware people hated the closed system so much as they hated the prospect of having a one-purpose machine that you can't upgrade. Any geek in his rightful mind wants one piece of software to perform more than one function, and doesn't like having multiple softwares that overlap in purpose.

Spot on. (Y) I currently have five gaming clients on my PC: Steam, Games for Windows Live, Desura, Origin, and Green Man Gaming Capsule. The latter is only used for downloading games (you don't need it running to play the games), but still, it's a bit of a pain having five clients for all of my games.

Unfortunately, that won't save you from Origin...

Probably a good thing I always planned to get the 360 version then, as that's what I've always got the Mass Effect games on, so I want to keep going with my character.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your post a bit there.

I'm just gonna go down the usual route of waiting for it to get cheap.

until one of the groups fined a way around it

For me Origin isn't bad as such, it simply is the latest to the party. I hate installing crap I can do without. My computer isn't a public trash can. But no - nearly every goddamn dev/publisher wants me to install their sh*t. That's not unlike Internet Explorer toolbars back in the days.