Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

India's 2013 Mars mission

68 posts in this topic

Posted

Our Indian friends have sent satellites to the moon, so why not? They've come a long way fast.

[url=http://www.asianscientist.com/topnews/isro-indian-mission-to-mars-red-planet-2013/]AsianScientist....[/url]

[quote][b]Indian Scientists Propose 10 Experiments For 2013 Mission To Mars[/b]

AsianScientist (Jan. 9, 2012)

Posted

Good for India :)

Posted

Can't help but think that if they make it on their first try it'll be a bitter pill for Russia.

Posted

go go go India! yes! this is awesome. more competition, more pressure, more forward momentum! we should all be doing this together. i applaud this initiative, and if they can indeed launch next year..that would be super impressive!
3 people like this

Posted

Is anyone else thinking "they'll make it there, but they won't make it back?"
2 people like this

Posted

Awesome! I hope they can stick to the schedule and make everybody chase them. A little motivation is what the science world needs.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='IceBreakerG' timestamp='1326815703' post='594589451']
Is anyone else thinking "they'll make it there, but they won't make it back?"
[/quote]
It's a probe, not a crew ship - though they have a crew vehicle in development. Looks a bit like SpaceX's Dragon with more vertical sidewalls vs. NASA's Apollo or Orion for extra internal volume.

Posted

are they also planning a rover?

Posted

Nth this trip - just an orbiter. If that works out Katie bar the doors because they're serious.

Posted

Katie bar the doors...heh heh good one. I sure hope they're serious, the more contenders the better. What's their launch vehicle though? And why not go full hog and send an orbiter, lander and rover?

Posted

[quote name='neoadorable' timestamp='1327887730' post='594617860']
Katie bar the doors...heh heh good one. I sure hope they're serious, the more contenders the better. What's their launch vehicle though? And why not go full hog and send an orbiter, lander and rover?
[/quote]

Because after the exhaustive trip there with landing, the tech needed to relaunch, break Mars and get back to Earth does not yet exist. Or did you mean unmanned orbiters, landers, and rovers?

Nobody folks, and I mean NOBODY is going manned to Mars in anyone reading here's lifetime.

Posted

[quote name='Soulsiphon' timestamp='1327887924' post='594617866']
Nobody folks, and I mean NOBODY is going manned to Mars in anyone reading here's lifetime.
[/quote]

Once they find gold on Mars, they'll be there in a few years.
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='neoadorable' timestamp='1327887730' post='594617860']
Katie bar the doors...heh heh good one. I sure hope they're serious, the more contenders the better. What's their launch vehicle though? And why not go full hog and send an orbiter, lander and rover?[/quote]
Right now main launcher is the rough equivalent of Falcon 9 Block I - about 10 metric tons to orbit. This would let them get a payload to the Martian surface, but of limited scope. For a real good mission they need something that could orbit at least 30 metric tons and they're making excellent progress. A superheavy is also being worked on, but my guess is its major work will wait until the medium lifter is finished.

As for India's manned program - their manned spaceflight budget is only $1B less than that of the US. They have already orbited and recovered a subscale capsule prototype, and have 2 more test flights of larger versions for the near future. The first flight of their Dragon proportioned Crew Exploration Vehicle (CEV) is penciled in for 2016. They also have an ongoing astronaut training program.

The Indian CEV
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7c/ISROorbitalvehicle.jpg[/img]

Posted

Well at least if they run into any trouble and have to call support, they will be able to understand the other person on the line.
1 person likes this

Posted

Everyday you learn somthing new. I didn't even knew India had a space program.

Posted

And this will be the guy they send, cause' they don't have to worry about feeding him.
[url="http://www.wesh.com/r/23318108/detail.html"][b]Story[/b][/url]

[media]http://youtu.be/EhEHGGt33hM[/media]

Posted

[quote name='Biotoxic_hazard_835' timestamp='1327890263' post='594617920']
Everyday you learn somthing new. I didn't even knew India had a space program.[/quote]

Here's more news: they're building a nuclear sub fleet. The 367 foot (112 meter) ballistic missile sub [i]Arihant[/i], their first in class, should enter service this year.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4d/INS_Arihant_closeup.jpg/800px-INS_Arihant_closeup.jpg[/img]

Posted

Thanks for the info Doc, this is really exciting and I hope India has the balls to do what needs to be done.

And soulsiphon, I know you're a regular and its also my policy to ignore trolling, but in this case you're being a total idiot. The tech to go to Mars has existed since we mastered basic rocketry and life support. The technology to go to other star systems has existed since we developed those two and nuclear power. I think you should change your handle to IQsiphon for a week as punishment for that post.

Posted

[quote name='Biotoxic_hazard_835' timestamp='1327890263' post='594617920']
Everyday you learn somthing new. I didn't even knew India had a space program.
[/quote]

India has lots of thing people don't know about, yesterday a guy from US asked me " i dint know you guys have computers ". lol
But good to see my country progressing in right direction. Best of luck to our space guys :)
3 people like this

Posted

Indeed all the best to India's space program. As for that question you were were asked, was it soulsiphon by accident that did the asking? Just kidding!

Posted

I for one wish my country focuses more on problems at hand :(

Posted

[quote name='neoadorable' timestamp='1327905500' post='594618206']
Thanks for the info Doc, this is really exciting and I hope India has the balls to do what needs to be done.

And soulsiphon, I know you're a regular and its also my policy to ignore trolling, but in this case you're being a total idiot. The tech to go to Mars has existed [b]since we mastered [/b]basic rocketry and life support. The technology to go to other star systems has existed since we developed those two and nuclear power. I think you should change your handle to IQsiphon for a week as punishment for that post.
[/quote]
the tech might be there, but saying we mastered it is way too optimistic

Posted

True - there's a ways to go yet.

On the downside;

I just heard that India is slowing down their launch schedule a bit due to the Russian problems. They use a few Russian designs transferred due to a space cooperation agreement, and given the events of the last year (P-G etc.) India wants to make sure those bugs haven't crept into their program.

As to India taking care of other things instead of space: there is a LOT of money to be made launching communications satellites, both new and especially replacements for worn out ones. India wants, and is getting, some of that market. This can pay for some of those other priorities, but like any other new business you first need to invest in the infrastructure; in this case rockets and launch facilities.

Manned flight gets them ready not only for science missions but for satellite servicing missions. As commsats evolve larger and larger it becomes viable to fix or refuel them in place. Think Hubble, but at 36,000 miles up.

Posted

India's almost ready to set a launch date for their Mars orbiter. Looks like November of 2013.

[url="http://t.co/1393mQms"]http://t.co/1393mQms[/url]

Good luck guys :) :woot:

Posted

Yeah i was reading about it in newspaper today, sounds sweet.