India's 2013 Mars mission

I predict the Martians will not be amused ...

They will welcome Indians when we'll open 7-11 and 1 dollar shops there. :p

thanks for the update as always Doc! Nov 2013...is that even a launch windows? how are they planning the flight will take?

i wish this project all the best, if only we had more and more and more of them!

Nobody folks, and I mean NOBODY is going manned to Mars in anyone reading here's lifetime.

Actually, this has already happened -- in secret. :shiftyninja:

• 7 months later...

http://www.aviationweek.com/awmobile/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/asd_03_21_2013_p04-01-561387.xml

NEW DELHI ? India is preparing to integrate scientific payloads with its first Mars orbiter, which is scheduled to be launched Nov. 27, the country?s top space scientist says. ?The scientific payloads for the Mars Orbiter will be received in the end of this month for integration. Preparations are in full swing for the country?s first orbiter mission to Mars,? Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) Chairman K. Radhakrishnan says.

Subsystems are currently being tested and ground station augmentations are being made at the satellite center in the south Indian city of Bengaluru, the ISRO chief says. Integration of the satellite should be complete in September, he says.

The Maangalyaan orbiter will carry nine scientific instruments to study the Martian atmosphere, climate, geology, origin and evolution, as well as its past and current habitability.

The orbiter, including the Liquid Apogee Motor that will propel it to Mars and the rocket motor that will slow it down for Mars orbit insertion, will together weigh 1.35 tons, Radhakrishnan says.

The spacecraft will be boosted by a Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle, which was also used for the Chandrayaan-1 Moon mission.

Following launch, the mission is expected to take eight months to reach Mars. The schedule calls for insertion into Mars orbit in September 2014.

If the ISRO fails to launch the Mars mission this year, the next launch opportunities occur in January-April 2016 and April-May 2018. The mission is estimated to cost 4.5 billion rupees ($83 million).

Following launch, the mission is expected to take eight months to reach Mars. The schedule calls for insertion into Mars orbit in September 2014.

just in time for elections , what a coincidence :rolleyes:

@Sanke1

The mission is estimated to cost 4.5 billion rupees ($83 million).

its not like theya re stopping all key welfare programs to fund this. by space exploration standards, $83 Million for a mission to mars is incredibly cheap.

Although I'm excited for the extra competition on the space race but India probably should look at the poverty in their backyard before pursuing such endeavors.

Well, i agree with you at some level but scientific endeavours is not something that should be paying for this. On the other hand, some of the politicians might want to reduce their travel expences and some of the scams they have managed to pull which run into billions to help the poor.

Although I'm excited for the extra competition on the space race but India probably should look at the poverty in their backyard before pursuing such endeavors.

I can throw up just as many pictures of the USA that show plenty of abject poverty, too. Before ragging on other nations ignoring it, you should fix your OWN poverty issues.

Back on topic, this is great news for India. Good luck with your forthcoming launches!

I for one wish my country focuses more on problems at hand :(

This. I'm all for space advancement and stuff, but do you think the people in India really care about that when most of them are struggling to make ends meet.

The best anti-poverty program is a JOB. Science, tech, engineering & math (aka: STEM) and their R&D and those businesses that depend on them create good paying jobs, and those jobs have a multiplier effect when those salaries & wages get spent. This is why US coties. & states would kill to get an aerospace outfit.

• Like 3

Is anyone else thinking "they'll make it there, but they won't make it back?"

Most currently planned missions to Mars are planned as a one way trip.

So the UK is paying India roughly ?225 Million a year in aid, yet they can afford a functioning space agency and are planning missions to Mars?

So the UK is paying India roughly ?225 Million a year in aid, yet they can afford a functioning space agency and are planning missions to Mars?

I am sure the aids are being handed out with specific purpose and not do whatever you want with this money.

I am sure the aids are being handed out with specific purpose and not do whatever you want with this money.

Im just saying do they really need aid money if they can afford a Space Agency and a mission to Mars?

Im just saying do they really need aid money if they can afford a Space Agency and a mission to Mars?

I guess that's for UK to decide but even if you ignore this, given the corruption in India, most of the aid is probably being wasted anyway. There is a rampant wastage in NGOs (worldwide not just India), combine that with corruption and net result should be laughable.

I am saying this as an Indian and whose wife has studied NGOs for her masters.

• Like 3

I'm reminded of an old BBC2 Sketch Show 'Goodness Gracious Me' Where they had to send out 2 Low Cast workers to repair the Rocket Booster on their spaceship.

(Just for the record I'm Sikh and like every Sikh I've met, found the scene funny, not offensive)

I'm reminded of an old BBC2 Sketch Show 'Goodness Gracious Me' Where they had to send out 2 Low Cast workers to repair the Rocket Booster on their spaceship.

(Just for the record I'm Sikh and like every Sikh I've met, found the scene funny, not offensive)

Is that " Chakk de fatte " ( where alien speaks punjabi ) clip? :p

Is that " Chakk de fatte " ( where alien speaks punjabi ) clip? :p

lol I remember that one, no it wasn't that one. I just remember the scene had 2 workers repairing random stuff, including a rocket booster with hammers.

• 7 months later...

Off topic joke.

Rocket did not start initially and they had to get the auto mechanic from across the road. He looks at the rocket for few minutes and asks to put the rocket at 45 degree for few seconds and then put it back and then push the button. To all the scientists amazement that worked perfectly. The engine was made by Bajaj scooter company :p

On topic.

Good achievement by the ISRO and everyone involved. Bravo.

I can throw up just as many pictures of the USA that show plenty of abject poverty, too. Before ragging on other nations ignoring it, you should fix your OWN poverty issues.

Back on topic, this is great news for India. Good luck with your forthcoming launches!

well said