Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS?

I just purchased a Samsung Series 7 Slate and first thing I did was update the BIOS, scrub the hard drive and install Windows 8 Developer Preview.

So far I am loving the experience. I have not really ran into any major issues but I have noticed a bug every now and again (not a big deal).

Just wondering who uses Windows 8 as their primary OS and what you find to be the best features and most-hated features?

Also, what issues/bugs have you found?

I've been running Win 8 DP as my main OS for about 2 months and so far i like it a lot

I must admit at the moment I spend most of my time in the desktop

Only issues i ran into so far are

typing in FB chat goes really slow

running IE for a whole day, it starts taking up a lot of memory

zune doesn't really run very smoothly, lots of hickups in when playing music

I just purchased a Samsung Series 7 Slate and first thing I did was update the BIOS, scrub the hard drive and install Windows 8 Developer Preview.

So far I am loving the experience. I have not really ran into any major issues but I have noticed a bug every now and again (not a big deal).

Just wondering who uses Windows 8 as their primary OS and what you find to be the best features and most-hated features?

Also, what issues/bugs have you found?

I can see WIndows 8 running on your slate as a great OS, but as a desktop i don't know. Looking forward to the beta release in FEB.

I've been using it as my primary since day 1. :D I can do all the things I did with Windows 7, plus I haven't had a BSOD. In the long run, it's faster and I love nothing having to install such a memory hogging antivirus. :p

I have been running DP ever since it has been released. I can definitely feel, under the hood, Windows 8 is much more polished, it boots, open apps, and literally everything is faster and smoother.

So i am really loving the changes under it,

I never liked Ribbon, the idea is good, but not its current implementation.

I dont like Metro, and its Interface, trying to marry Tablet into Desktop usage. Again at least not its implementation. And i dont even like the idea either.

I've been using it as my primary since day 1. :D I can do all the things I did with Windows 7, plus I haven't had a BSOD. In the long run, it's faster and I love nothing having to install such a memory hogging antivirus. :p

Why why why why aren't you running an antivirus on your primary OS?

Security Essentials is not a memory hog. Don't be foolish.

As of now no, as the Developer Preview is too buggy and unstable, Obviously as it's a developer build.

But come Beta, providing it's fairly stable I likely will use it as my primary.

@Wakers - To be fair, it does have Windows Defender (Now looks like MSE) built-in with better security than before.

Once upon a time I used to run Windows Longhorn 4053, or whatever it was and 4074 as my primary OS, I have since then grown up. I won't run beta or pre-beta software on a production machine as a primary OS, that's just inviting problems.

Once upon a time I used to run Windows Longhorn 4053, or whatever it was and 4074 as my primary OS, I have since then grown up. I won't run beta or pre-beta software on a production machine as a primary OS, that's just inviting problems.

Running alpha/pre-beta Windows builds will almost always have a few bugs that will prevent the user from doing what they normally do. But when Win7 hit beta, I haven't looked back as it was stable as a rock. I could barely notice the difference when I moved to the RC1. I trust MS to do the same with the Win8 beta next month and I am getting excited to start using it as default.

I tried the DP, but it was too buggy to use.

Why why why why aren't you running an antivirus on your primary OS?

Security Essentials is not a memory hog. Don't be foolish.

You don't have to install an antivirus when running Win8, it comes with one build in

I ran it for a month or so... but Combat Arms wasn't compatible with it... not even in compability mode. So I'm back at Win7.

I hoping a good experience with the upcoming betas :)

You really think that they will leave the antivirus activated after the first install on the final release ?

To me, including Windows Defender beta (or whatever version it is really), is only here for testing purpose. On the final version, I would guess that you'll have to manually download/install it, just like MSE.

I'm pretty sure they said Windows Defender will be upgraded to include a Anti Virus and will be standard in Win 8 no need to download anything

you should be safe out of the box

My daughter does cos I haven't given her a choice, on her netbook. I'm holding off until the beta before I go back to it cos I couldn't get steam to launch any of my games.

Ha! I did that too, back in the day. I might even have the DVD somewhere. My laptop was a 300mhz PII with 128mb of RAM. You should've seen how slow just moving the cursor was.

I'm running Windows 8 as a 2nd OS, but it's got too many inconsistencies with rebooting for me to use it often enough.

I'm running Windows 8 on an AMD Athlon 64 (Single Core) with 2GB DDR2. The performance is not bad. :) Honestly, when it comes to running programs, not much has been a trouble ; .NET 4, Software Compatibly, it all runs smoothly in the hend. Heck I run a local server and Web Develop on this PC. :p

I'm just really surprised I haven't gotten a BSOD like I have on Windows 7.

I used to run it as main for a while. My Nvidia graphics card was acting up for a while already, I got fed up and switched to an ATI. Proper driver support is why I'm not on it anymore.

Waiting for beta 1 for a longer term setup, since I want to port my WP7 apps. Considering that it's ostensibly just another month or less away, I'm surprised that there weren't any invites to the tech beta yet.