Tera Online

I only got to play the Tera Online beta for a few hours last night, but I honestly gotta say it kept me more interested and busy than SW:TOR.

The sounds coming through my G35 were astounding. Explosions made me jump. Targeting mobs rather than just 'Tab, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6:repeat' was SO much more fun than I've had in any other mmo in a while. I was GLAD I had to keep one hand on the keyboard and one on the mouse nonstop. In swtor, I'm sitting there with the keyboard under 1 hand, and a beer in the other. While I love my beer, I go through a 12 pack in almost as many minutes. 3 beers held me over for 4 hours in Tera. That, my friends... is an accomplishment!

Now, I don't intend to specifically bash TOR. It is just the most recent that anyone can relate to. There isnt' anything 'unique' to it at all. Yea, so each quest gives cutscenes. Thats fine and all, but after your 4th or 5th alt, you're skipping those scenes just like every other mmo.

Anyway, did you guys get a chance to check it out this weekend? What were your impressions? I only made it to level 10, but I didn't find a single bug or glitch. All the quests worked. Gathering nodes... hahaha THEY ALL WORK. The mobs you fight are big, and scary, or small and numerous... and scary. There is no NDA so Youtube is filling up with vids on it. Go check em out!

Tera, like all Korean MMOs, will be a lame grind-fest come mid/late game. Not to mention the localization for Korean games are always laughable. While the gameplay looks like fun (and I'm glad you enjoyed it), I don't have high hopes for it.

Tera, like all Korean MMOs, will be a lame grind-fest come mid/late game. Not to mention the localization for Korean games are always laughable. While the gameplay looks like fun (and I'm glad you enjoyed it), I don't have high hopes for it.

That is semi-racist. Most korean mmo's(if not all) this far have been grindfests. Tera is not from what I've read. Even on the Korean side of things people hit max level in roughly the same time as it takes to max a character in SWTOR.

From the people I've talked to, the game isn't a grindfest. There are supposed to be enough quests to get you to max level--and I've heard it's actually a pretty fun leveling experience.

And it definitely won't be played by a bunch of lolipedos and furry lovers.

Stereotype much?

So its alright for me to state that SWTOR is played by a bunch of Virgin Robophiliacs? Man, thought this forum was more open minded. Dead wrong. Well, your loss. The game is great from the 10 levels I've played. Just figured I'd see what other people felt about it after playing it. Forgot the internet isn't the place to discuss things logically.

From the people I've talked to, the game isn't a grindfest. There are supposed to be enough quests to get you to max level--and I've heard it's actually a pretty fun leveling experience.

I read that there were somewhere around 1700 unique quests, not to mention all the repeatable/dailies. I hit 10 in about 2.5 hours without any grind at all. The entire time I was questing and never ran out of them. When I 'started' to, I simply did the next part of the storyline and it left me in an area with 5-10 more quests.

Wow, So many stereotypes. People need to lighten up in this thread and stop being immature.

Exactly. It wasnt a problem when you were playing dwarf/gnome on wow? Or what about the 'pandas' coming to wow? That's ok though because it's not Korean?

It didn't impress me. Guild Wars 2 has pretty much ruined MMOs for me and it's not even out yet.

As soon as there is more than one person in an area doing the same quest, you have to spawn camp. What's the point? Why are MMOs still being released with that broken logic?

It didn't impress me. Guild Wars 2 has pretty much ruined MMOs for me and it's not even out yet.

As soon as there is more than one person in an area doing the same quest, you have to spawn camp. What's the point? Why are MMOs still being released with that broken logic?

you do realize GW2 is being built around the traditional MMO structure right? Only dungeons are instances.

From what I experienced in Tera, is that no mobs aggro you. The respawned extremely quickly. I did not have to wait at all for spawns even with 20-30 people standing right next to me doing the same quests.

You do realise that you clearly have no idea about Guild Wars 2?

No quests, no forced grouping (if someone needs to kill the same thing then people get rewarded equally for taking part, not fighting over who tags the mob), no trinity, no stupid raids, no hotkey combat..

So yea..nothing like other MMOs

The problem with this is (and the 3 videos I just watched) is that it seems very cliche.

You say it was great until level 10, well, most new games are, because they are new. Things astound you, come to life, etc.

All MMO's have that effect it seems, but in the end, it is what is at the end that really matters, and that is where many, many MMOs come up short.

I'm glad you had fun until level 10, but like most MMOs, none of that matters, to the general populous, just what is at max level. And almost all MMOs fail in that department. EQ didn't and WoW didn't. But most since then have, including SWToR.

No quests, no forced grouping (if someone needs to kill the same thing then people get rewarded equally for taking part, not fighting over who tags the mob), no trinity, no stupid raids, no hotkey combat..

Trust me, I'm excited for gw2 as well but there is no reason for you to troll a game you're not interested in and know virtually nothing about. You need to relax and don't get your panties in a bunch. Especially considering gw2 hasn't even been given a release date yet. Tera, is literally a bridge for me. From one game to the next, Tera will get me there.

I bought swtor. It sucks IMO. I've played pretty much every mmo you can imagine. Swtor was a cloned mmo that brought nothing new or innovative to the table and only made money because of the star wars name attached to it.

Tera has innovated. I'm sorry you can't see past your shallow point of view and won't even give a game a chance because you're the all knowing mmo god. Why not try it? There will be an open beta. Save you're clueless rants for when you have tried the game.

I am looking forward to a few games coming up... Gw2, D3, torchlight 2, and wildstar. Just figured I'd give an honest opinion about the game as people are waiting to see how it pans out before paying for it.

You paint a bland picture.

No quests? Well then its not an RPG, there are quests, the only difference is they are not talk to NPC with floating "!" above his head, complete quest, turn in at NPC with a "?" above his head, instead events will happen and if you are in the area you will be able to help out and get the rewards. Honestly though, I don't think they can make a whole game around that.....otherwise there would need to be constant events happening or players would be forced to grind.

No forced grouping? Grouping is never forced in any game I've played (except Diablo 3 Beta), but there are areas and events that will require grouping (or at least working together) to complete, so yes, there is "forced" grouping (as forced as it is in WoW and other MMOs).

No trinity and raids? True, and that will make it different than other MMOs, but it will still play like most other MMOs, same control scheme, same general gameplay, just a few new mechanics and some old outdated ones being removed. Its just like any other new triple-A MMO, they change a few things, introduce a few things, and scrap some old things.

As far as having to camp mobs in Guild Wars 2, that's simply wrong (as the person I quoted stated), as long as you attack a mob, no matter who hit it first or did the most damage, everyone who participated in the fight gets full experience and loot, whether they are in a party or not. Which means unless someone kills a mob before you get to it (assuming you are too far away or they outlevel the mob a lot, this will rarely happen), you will never have to wait for respawn like you do in every other MMO. Same goes for any resources the game world has (like a copper vein in WoW for example), each person can use the node before they and them only have to wait for it to respawn.

Scraggles, while I fully agree with you on SWTOR (though I didn't buy it, the beta was about the worst MMO I've played), you seem to know very little about GW2, instead of making stuff up, take the time to read this post (or at least some of it) so you have some idea of how the game will play.

The problem with this is (and the 3 videos I just watched) is that it seems very cliche.

You say it was great until level 10, well, most new games are, because they are new. Things astound you, come to life, etc.

All MMO's have that effect it seems, but in the end, it is what is at the end that really matters, and that is where many, many MMOs come up short.

I'm glad you had fun until level 10, but like most MMOs, none of that matters, to the general populous, just what is at max level. And almost all MMOs fail in that department. EQ didn't and WoW didn't. But most since then have, including SWToR.

I agree to an extent. I enjoyed it up to level 10, which is only as far as I got. I ran through 3 classes. Sorcerer lvl 4, Warrior lvl 4, and Archer lvl 10. Now, I honestly have NOT enjoyed any MMO in the early levels since EQ as they are all the same watered down, boring, nothing to do until higher levels because you have no skills kind of game. What I really enjoyed about Tera was that you were active during those 10 levels. Even though at 10 I only have 6 active skills, I used ALL of them quite often. You had to be aware of your surroundings. You HAVE to dodge. There were fights that I had that I did not take ANY damage at all because I was paying attention. It allowed me to continue fighting further without resting. I, at one point decided to eat a sandwich while playing. I couldn't play nearly as well and I had to rest between almost every battle.

Certain aspects of it are cliche. There is no avoiding that with video games. The actually action and skill required to fight things is what makes this different. That one innovative aspect is something that will last from level 1, all the way to end game. No other game does it. Even WoW has literally NOTHING unique about it. Every single aspect of that game was copied and compiled from the dozens of mmo's before it. Tera took something from a different genre of games and made it work.

I'm not saying the game was astounding. I am saying what they did with the combat IS impressive. I will never 'like' the combat of another MMO again. Seriously... I'm so sick of hopping on a new MMO that I've never played and its as simple as

"Tab: creature targeted... then 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1,2,3,4 creature dead. Tab: 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1,2,3,4 creature dead. Tab 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1,2,3,4 creature dead."

Again, I am going to sincerely miss the new fighting style when I start playing GW2. However I honestly think GW2 is going to be the closest thing to any WOW killer we will see anytime soon.

Again, I am going to sincerely miss the new fighting style when I start playing GW2. However I honestly think GW2 is going to be the closest thing to any WOW killer we will see anytime soon.

If GW2 plays half as good as it sounds like it will from what I've read, WoW won't stand a chance unless it drops the subscription fee, then it may stand a chance, but I doubt it. Recently played WoW to level 85, got bored (not going to dedicate my life to getting a guild that puts me in a raiding group), once I hit 85 and geared up from heroics and LFR, there was literally NOTHING left to do, without dedicating my life to the game (I was already spending 8+ hours a day in the game, bored off my @ss trying to find something to do), I decided joining a raiding guild and dedicating a specific time to do things to get better gear was just not for me.

GW2 seems to be nothing like this, much like GW1 where things that helped your character didn't take obscene amounts of time to earn, it didn't seem like you needed to be dedicated to get everything you needed to be competitive once you hit level cap. Assuming GW2 is similar on gearing to GW1, along with the other changes, it will make WoW really show its age. But of course there will still be dedicated WoW players that say every other MMO sucks.

It's also made by ncsoft... So it's going to suck, it will be a grind and it I'll have a total of max 5 amor models and the only difference between the 500 sets in the game I'll be textures. Which is how ncsoft and Korean MMOs keep the graphics so high in the first place. And of course, females don't get armor, they get super comfy metal thongs.

I agree to an extent. I enjoyed it up to level 10, which is only as far as I got. I ran through 3 classes. Sorcerer lvl 4, Warrior lvl 4, and Archer lvl 10. Now, I honestly have NOT enjoyed any MMO in the early levels since EQ as they are all the same watered down, boring, nothing to do until higher levels because you have no skills kind of game. What I really enjoyed about Tera was that you were active during those 10 levels. Even though at 10 I only have 6 active skills, I used ALL of them quite often. You had to be aware of your surroundings. You HAVE to dodge. There were fights that I had that I did not take ANY damage at all because I was paying attention. It allowed me to continue fighting further without resting. I, at one point decided to eat a sandwich while playing. I couldn't play nearly as well and I had to rest between almost every battle.

You do realize youre describing Age of Conan, except without the awesome lore.

It's also made by ncsoft... So it's going to suck, it will be a grind and it I'll have a total of max 5 amor models and the only difference between the 500 sets in the game I'll be textures. Which is how ncsoft and Korean MMOs keep the graphics so high in the first place. And of course, females don't get armor, they get super comfy metal thongs.

You do realize youre describing Age of Conan, except without the awesome lore.

It's made by ArenaNet, not NCSoft, they just publish it. There's no grind in Guild Wars 1, there won't be in Guild Wars 2. Armor is for appearance and not stats.

I highly suggest that you look at a video on youtube (Guild Wars 2 Manifesto would be a good one to start with) because you know nothing about it.

I'd love to try it - the videos I've seen of the gameplay look pretty cool - but since it's monthly sub-based, it's an instant no-go for me. Shame though, I really wanted to be a hamster that wields an ax 50 times larger than my body.

ArenaNet or ncsoft is the same thing. They're practically identical in how they develop games.

And you assume to much

Utterly wrong. Oh well, if you don't want to try a game based on your hideously misinformed opinion about a publisher and not even the developer then it's your loss.

Actually I have no interest in GW2 because the ate itself is asolutely disinteresting to me. The fact it's an ncsoft/ArenaNet game ony adds to it. Either of them have yet to make a truly unique game that actually looks like some work has been put into it.