Tera Online

I've been back and forth to the website about to purchase the game and keep on delaying. The game looks so good, I love the combat from the videos I've seen, and the world looks fantastic. I think the only thing holding me back is the community and there being a lack of players. How are you guys finding the amount of people online? I don't want it to be a MMO where I'm running around for long amounts of time and don't run into anyone...or that everyone is super high level.

And is anyone else thinking of jumping in on this?

I've been back and forth to the website about to purchase the game and keep on delaying. The game looks so good, I love the combat from the videos I've seen, and the world looks fantastic. I think the only thing holding me back is the community and there being a lack of players. How are you guys finding the amount of people online? I don't want it to be a MMO where I'm running around for long amounts of time and don't run into anyone...or that everyone is super high level.

And is anyone else thinking of jumping in on this?

Haven't had nor heard of single issue of lack of players. And they extended inaugural pricing till end of June (due to technical issues). So you can get your subscription at a discounted rate. Game is lots of fun. First MMO I've played where i'm taking my sweet time. In the last 3 weeks only done 3 levels, just because I'm finding other things to do. Though with Nexus's released and the next major patch adding BG's and raids, think I might go ahead and make push to 60.

Haven't had nor heard of single issue of lack of players. And they extended inaugural pricing till end of June (due to technical issues). So you can get your subscription at a discounted rate. Game is lots of fun. First MMO I've played where i'm taking my sweet time. In the last 3 weeks only done 3 levels, just because I'm finding other things to do. Though with Nexus's released and the next major patch adding BG's and raids, think I might go ahead and make push to 60.

Right on, Slane, thanks a lot! Sounds great and like I said from what I've seen the game itself looks like a lot of fun and something I could really get into. I don't have a lot of real-life friends looking at Tera (most are going to GW2 and D3) so that's coming into my decision. Good to hear about the sub discount...just might give it a go.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to pass along that Tera now has a 7-day free trial available, as well as an 'instant demo' via browser. I haven't tried the browser demo but am downloading the trial right now. Should be able to put in some quality time for a few days starting Sunday (I work nights Thurs-Sat). Got one of my buddies interested as well and he's going to be playing on a Mac via Boot Camp. Since GW2 (most)likely won't be coming out for another month at least, I figure I can give Tera a legit play and see how it goes. Love the world art from all the videos I've watched.

How is this game doing? It had all the hype leading up to release, then it was released, and then there's been nothing about it.

They basically copied Aion thats why but changed the combat system to be something unique. Aion is f2p now tho and a far more polished game so most people that were interested in Tera have stuck with that.

Gave the instant demo a try, and I wasn't really impressed. Gonna give the 7-day trial a shot though, since I didn't get to see how a spellcaster would play aaaaand... I'm burnt out on games until I can get my hands on either Torchlight 2 or Guild Wars 2. :p

Been playing with the 7-day trial and its just not hooking me in. I'm playing a human archer, level 9 now, and I read in chat that it takes level 11 to get to the world. Think I'll push to there to see what's up...but not too thrilled. The graphics are excellent, the combat is fun, I just feel bland when playing. Maybe being in a guild or grouping would make it more exciting (things you cannot do on a trial account).

Been playing with the 7-day trial and its just not hooking me in. I'm playing a human archer, level 9 now, and I read in chat that it takes level 11 to get to the world. Think I'll push to there to see what's up...but not too thrilled. The graphics are excellent, the combat is fun, I just feel bland when playing. Maybe being in a guild or grouping would make it more exciting (things you cannot do on a trial account).

Unfortunately the world doesn't really open up till level 20. Sure you get off noob ilsand at 11, but at level 20 you finally get to fight some BAM's and it changes the game significantly.

Unfortunately the world doesn't really open up till level 20. Sure you get off noob ilsand at 11, but at level 20 you finally get to fight some BAM's and it changes the game significantly.

Hmm, level 20? :/ I'll have to think on this a bit. Thanks for the heads up.

Hmm, level 20? :/ I'll have to think on this a bit. Thanks for the heads up.

At least play till the final BAM in the starter island. It is but a preview of what you get to deal with at level 20 but it is still a BAM. Once you get to fight the Basalisks and do your first dungeon you'll get a much better feeling for the game, your class and how epic the battles can be. There was a dungeon that my party went through and tried to 3 man when we were 2 levels senior to it. We got our buts handed to us repeatedly because we were lacking proper group composition (a tank, a support and a healer). But that made it all the more fun to complete on our own and the battles were very exciting.

What's the point in persevering with a game until level 20 if it's boring as **** up to that point?

Why can't they just make the whole game fun? This is one of the worst trials I've ever played - there's nothing there to encourage me to keep playing.

What's the point in persevering with a game until level 20 if it's boring as **** up to that point?

Why can't they just make the whole game fun? This is one of the worst trials I've ever played - there's nothing there to encourage me to keep playing.

You realize that every MMO that gives you trails usually caps you at level 20. And all of those MMO's only get interesting, really interesting at or post level 20 right? It is not uncommon for that to happen, but honestly even with just the first 20 levels of gameplay I had a difficult time returning to standard control schemes for the GW2 beta. I barely even played it (mostly because of the framerate, though). Tera is one of the few games where I feel the most involved with what my character is doing on screen. Most other games there is a disconnect because everything is tagged in order by the server and hitboxes can mean little to nothing. It only takes about 6 hours of play to hit level 20 anyways, its not that difficult. I thought it took a while as well but I already have 3 characters at level 11, two at level 20 and one at 48. And this is with very mild amounts of play (as in I've played maybe once a day for the past 3 or so weeks).

The main reasons why level 20 is where everything really opens up is:

1) By level 20 you have most of your bread and butter skills and you class has really fleshed out.

2) You start your first BAM (Big Ass Monster) quests.

3) You get your first real dungeon.

4) You get your first Glyphs, the upgrades to your abilities that can modify the way your class plays more to your liking.

Coming off the 7-day trial here. The game looks great and has decent combat, but at the end of the day, I can't help like feel the whole point of the game is rather lacking with the story and questing. It just doesn't feel interesting nor does it draw me in. :/

Best way I can describe it is that it feels like the movie The Expendables. As any fan of that movie will tell you, it's not about the story, it's about the action. And that's what Tera feels like to me. If you can get over the generic aspects of it, you'll likely have a blast.

For me though, this game just isn't suited to my taste. At least, not for $50 and a subscription fee anyway. Really could use something to play this summer. :pinch:

You realize that every MMO that gives you trails usually caps you at level 20. And all of those MMO's only get interesting, really interesting at or post level 20 right? It is not uncommon for that to happen, but honestly even with just the first 20 levels of gameplay I had a difficult time returning to standard control schemes for the GW2 beta. I barely even played it (mostly because of the framerate, though). Tera is one of the few games where I feel the most involved with what my character is doing on screen. Most other games there is a disconnect because everything is tagged in order by the server and hitboxes can mean little to nothing. It only takes about 6 hours of play to hit level 20 anyways, its not that difficult. I thought it took a while as well but I already have 3 characters at level 11, two at level 20 and one at 48. And this is with very mild amounts of play (as in I've played maybe once a day for the past 3 or so weeks).

The main reasons why level 20 is where everything really opens up is:

1) By level 20 you have most of your bread and butter skills and you class has really fleshed out.

2) You start your first BAM (Big Ass Monster) quests.

3) You get your first real dungeon.

4) You get your first Glyphs, the upgrades to your abilities that can modify the way your class plays more to your liking.

And this is why almost every MMO is **** these days. The "real game" doesn't start until level x is just a crappy excuse for horrendous game design.

There are games out there that don't have this ass backward design, sadly they're not out yet!

And this is why almost every MMO is **** these days. The "real game" doesn't start until level x is just a crappy excuse for horrendous game design.

There are games out there that don't have this ass backward design, sadly they're not out yet!

Unfortunately that's not how MMO's seem to work. The easiest way to keep you playing is to gradually give you access to the content as you progress.

I only got to play the Tera Online beta for a few hours last night, but I honestly gotta say it kept me more interested and busy than SW:TOR.

The only problem I've had with SWTOR is the combat. If anything should've been an action RPG, SWTOR was it. Honestly, hitting tab plus button mashing is no fun, especially when you're a Jedi or Sith.

Now, I've only tried TERA through Gaikai, and didn't really have any fun, seeing as how it is basically a demo for the game. I need to try the real game.

I'm totally buying the game next month. Had a ball with the 7 day trial. They sent me a coupon code for 25% off the game, which expires on the 30th so I should be able to still use it. If not, no biggie I guess.

I really enjoyed the combat system, and the animations are spectacular imo. The scarily loli-esque quality of the female models of some races is kinda weird...but hey nothing wrong with a hot elf type chick with jiggly bits right?

I'm hearing there isn't much end game content though, which might make me second guess buying it. But we'll see.

I'm totally buying the game next month. Had a ball with the 7 day trial. They sent me a coupon code for 25% off the game, which expires on the 30th so I should be able to still use it. If not, no biggie I guess.

I really enjoyed the combat system, and the animations are spectacular imo. The scarily loli-esque quality of the female models of some races is kinda weird...but hey nothing wrong with a hot elf type chick with jiggly bits right?

I'm hearing there isn't much end game content though, which might make me second guess buying it. But we'll see.

Damn, I think the 50% off sale just went offline from Raptr. Was gonna suggest going through that if you planned on buying it but oh well. :(

I've been taking my sweet time leveling. While the end game may lack content (not confirming it, since I haven't gotten there) the game itself offers lots of replayability with the other classes. They also plan on releasing more glyphs and have already demonstrated that they are willing to evolve classes (they added blocks to Fighters in a previous patch as well as multiple other abilities to them and Lancers).

The thing I love about this game is the support and emphasis on not only PvP but GvG and the political system. They have added in the ability for Guilds to fight for power rather than attain Vanarcship through popular vote. A lot of subtle but great ideas coming from En Masse.

The voting system is pretty sweet, great idea to further the game world socially. I don't know, my 7-day trial just ended. Think I will wait a bit longer - I have no qualms buying the game at all but I just got into WoW and don't want to carry 2 subs.

Damn, I think the 50% off sale just went offline from Raptr. Was gonna suggest going through that if you planned on buying it but oh well. :(

Well maybe by the time I can buy the game in 11 days or so, someone else will have a nice sale for me to pick it up then. :)

Well maybe by the time I can buy the game in 11 days or so, someone else will have a nice sale for me to pick it up then. :)

Wellllll, if you're looking to save money, you might wanna hit it before June 30th seeing as you have a coupon for 25% off, and there's a subscription-lock in at 40% off too which will end on the 30th as well.

http://store.enmasse.com/store/tera/en_US/pd/productID.249003000

Just trying to save ya money kind sir. :p

Wellllll, if you're looking to save money, you might wanna hit it before June 30th seeing as you have a coupon for 25% off, and there's a subscription-lock in at 40% off too which will end on the 30th as well.

http://store.enmasse...uctID.249003000

Just trying to save ya money kind sir. :p

Yeah I knew about that sub price lock in also. Unfortunately I can't buy the game until my SS comes in in the beginning of July. So I'm pretty boned I guess :(