Windows 8: My list of improvements

windows 8 improvements

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#16 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 March 2012 - 19:27

#7 won't happen. Sinofsky specifically compared their solution to the iPad's folders, and claimed that MS's concept was superior.

#17 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

Posted 09 March 2012 - 19:32

I really like your list and I hope MS does pick some of your ideas, specially the first 6 items on your list.

I think 7 and 8 are just not possible at the moment.
They try to have an app model that works both on Tablets and PC's.
For those tablets it would be very memory and battery consuming if they can have more then 2 apps open at a time.
That's also the reason they have to be full screen, that way they can go in a suspended mode as soon as it disappears from the screen.
If you can resize them they will never go in suspended mode, because they just keep occupying the screen
It would be nice if MS would adjust that problem, but we all have to realize that Win8 is basically a 1.0 version of a new app platform.
Maybe by Win9 they adjust the app model that you can do these things if you are on a PC or laptop.

Further down the list you got a couple of other good ones.

About the apps, we all know they are still in pre BETA stage so we can hope that they will be updated over time, hopefully we see regular updates before it goes into RC

I like that you actually took the time to think about how to make it better, instead of just saying it doesn't work like Win 7 so it s*cks

Nice one

#18 tuanese

tuanese

Neowinian

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:51

Where do you think all these changes came from so far?

Microsoft's internals.

No user wants their beloved OS to become like Windows 8.

#19 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:59

Microsoft's internals.

No user wants their beloved OS to become like Windows 8.

Speak for yourself.

I have absolutely zero issues with the Consumer Preview, which is now my main OS (and on a desktop).

Just because some of you will fight change with all the fervor of the supporters of certain GOP presidential candidates, do NOT lump all users of Windows in that crowd, thank you.

#20 tuanese

tuanese

Neowinian

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:30

Speak for yourself.

I have absolutely zero issues with the Consumer Preview, which is now my main OS (and on a desktop).

Just because some of you will fight change with all the fervor of the supporters of certain GOP presidential candidates, do NOT lump all users of Windows in that crowd, thank you.

Time will tell, isn't it.

We'll see how Windows 8 sells. :)

#21 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:34

Time will tell, isn't it.

We'll see how Windows 8 sells. :)

Even if Windows 8 sells poorly, Metro isn't going away. It'll be refined and sharpened for Windows 9. If Apple wants to believe they are in a "Post-PC" world, I think Microsoft wants them to eat their own words, which means drastic changes for Windows yet to come.

#22 cynthia400

cynthia400

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:55

You can move multiple items on the Start screen when you have it zoomed out, just grab any section of icons and you will move all the icons that are in that group.

#23 Hitman2000

Hitman2000

Neowinian

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:01

The one thing i dont understand is why microsoft is trying this one size fits all crap.

why don't they just develop a seperate OS marketed specifically for tablets/moible devices...

#24 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:46

• All-Search (Independent). It’s a very welcomed feature the distribution of search within a specified category (Files, Settings and Programs), but I feel that they need to bring back the unsorted search like Windows Vista/7; you could press start and search anything and the first thing that pops up would generally match what you were looking for. (This could be triggered through a WinKey combination)

I believe what you're asking for is unified search and I wanted this to. And it is there. Don't use a search hotkey, when the start screen is up, just start typing what you're looking for. It will search everything and display the results. Whether or not what you're looking for will be the first result can't be guaranteed though.

Even if Windows 8 sells poorly, Metro isn't going away. It'll be refined and sharpened for Windows 9. If Apple wants to believe they are in a "Post-PC" world, I think Microsoft wants them to eat their own words, which means drastic changes for Windows yet to come.

I think Microsoft agrees with Apple and is trying to catch up by shoehorning a tablet UI onto a very productive and loved desktop UI. You know Microsoft can't take down iPad in a fair fight, tablet vs. tablet. So they will leverage their desktop dominance, I'm not sure they have a choice.

#25 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 March 2012 - 16:24

I think Microsoft agrees with Apple and is trying to catch up by shoehorning a tablet UI onto a very productive and loved desktop UI. You know Microsoft can't take down iPad in a fair fight, tablet vs. tablet. So they will leverage their desktop dominance, I'm not sure they have a choice.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Apple is tip-toeing around with the iPad, and ignoring many usability features Windows tablets have had for years.

#26 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 March 2012 - 16:28

many usability features Windows tablets have had for years.

Like what?

#27 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 March 2012 - 16:37

Like what?

Pretty much the power of a full OS.

#28 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 March 2012 - 16:58

oh, ok, I thought you meant 'usability' in the way that Wikipedia defines it:

Usability is the ease of use and learnability of a human-made object

#29 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 11 March 2012 - 19:33

If you think about it, it makes sense. Apple is tip-toeing around with the iPad, and ignoring many usability features Windows tablets have had for years.

The most important ones IMO, expandability and upgradeability will always be an advantage for Wintel. Built-in obsolescence is Apples #1 guaranteed revenue stream. That's their busines model.

#30 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 March 2012 - 20:03

#7 won't happen. Sinofsky specifically compared their solution to the iPad's folders, and claimed that MS's concept was superior.

For 7 I thought it would have been a good add-on since there are items that people, like myself, like to group, and when you want it, you'll know where to find it very quickly. Hope in a future it is implemented.

I really like your list and I hope MS does pick some of your ideas, specially the first 6 items on your list.

I think 7 and 8 are just not possible at the moment.
They try to have an app model that works both on Tablets and PC's.
For those tablets it would be very memory and battery consuming if they can have more then 2 apps open at a time.
That's also the reason they have to be full screen, that way they can go in a suspended mode as soon as it disappears from the screen.
If you can resize them they will never go in suspended mode, because they just keep occupying the screen
It would be nice if MS would adjust that problem, but we all have to realize that Win8 is basically a 1.0 version of a new app platform.
Maybe by Win9 they adjust the app model that you can do these things if you are on a PC or laptop.

Further down the list you got a couple of other good ones.

About the apps, we all know they are still in pre BETA stage so we can hope that they will be updated over time, hopefully we see regular updates before it goes into RC

I like that you actually took the time to think about how to make it better, instead of just saying it doesn't work like Win 7 so it s*cks

Nice one

I'm glad you liked my list. I know Metro has a lot of potential inside it, but it still needs to be polished further.

About resizing the metro apps, after rethinking a little I noticed that you indeed have a point, there are tablets in mind and they need to have a comfortable way to suspend the apps (much as iOS does)...
On a much more deep thought, there's no need to run 2 apps per screen (at least I rarely have more than 2 windows displayed at a time in Win7), but I do believe that there should be a possibility to resize their windows to the size you want. There are apps that I would like to make them share 50% - 50% of the screen (and that number will increase when metro productivity apps start to appear).

You can move multiple items on the Start screen when you have it zoomed out, just grab any section of icons and you will move all the icons that are in that group.

That's not what I'm getting at unfortunately. Imagine that I have them on different groups, and I would like to move the items between other groups (including the original group of that item).

Edit: I know it's there, but in terms of keyboard and mice movements, it can require 4+ key presses to look for something when I don't know what type of file is.

I believe what you're asking for is unified search and I wanted this to. And it is there. Don't use a search hotkey, when the start screen is up, just start typing what you're looking for. It will search everything and display the results. Whether or not what you're looking for will be the first result can't be guaranteed though.

The unified search is what I'm getting at, but not the way Win8 implements it. I would like to have something apart from the new search Win8 has; more like Vista and 7 in which you'll type and the first thing that appeared would be focused and just need an Enter to run it. Please note that I don't want to make the new search disappear, but a new option which includes "All files, apps, and settings"

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!