Windows 8 easy upgrade from Windows 7, or is still a clean install preferre

I was wondering when Windows 8 is released - or maybe even now with the CP - is it easy to just upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 8?

Or, for performance sake, is a clean install recommended/preferred?

The thing is... I hate to reinstall all my software, games and mostly iTunes.

I do have Win8CP on a VM, so I don't have experience upgrading from Win 7 to Win8CP.

I would always do a clean install. You're less likely to get problems, and the performance is bound to be better than an upgrade. I think it's best to start afresh when installing a new operating system.

There is now an option to keep "Personal Files" meaning it will delete any program or setting and keep your home folder (?) only.

pretty much the same as a fresh install, without the hassle of transferring data and formatting drives.

An upgrade took about 30mins on my computer, on a core i7 2600 with 12gb ram, on a 128gb SSD.

And the upgrade was very clean.

I did an upgrade from 7 ultimate to windows 8 CP and had no issues. Except an unrelated issue just over a week later... my SSD panic locked yesterday and I need to arrange for it to be sent back to OCZ uggh!

you should have no issues doing an upgrade install, though it may perform better on a clean install.

There is now an option to keep "Personal Files" meaning it will delete any program or setting and keep your home folder (?) only.

pretty much the same as a fresh install, without the hassle of transferring data and formatting drives.

very cool mate, thanks for telling us/me ill have to try that out later on a test system

I've been working on computers for over twenty years, and I've always recommended a clean install.

Each OS is different, each install is different. Doing an upgrade may save you install time, but I've had to fix more issues because of OS upgrades than just about anything else.

Do yourself and your favorite computer tech a favor...clean install.

T