Neowinian

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:04

Impossible to fix it

#93 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:32

I have the feeling, this is what you picture when you use the term "desktop":

But the times' are a' changing, my friend.

This is also a desktop computer:

And so is this:

And this too:

The time has come where we need an OS that can fit all of these devices, and yet still maintain backwards compatibility.

Wow you have got to be kidding me.

Rotating a tablet a certain way and attaching a keyboard does not magically turn it into a desktop.

If I showed a picture with my iPhone horizontal, and a keyboard connected to it, is that a desktop?

A desktop computer is a computer that you intend not to move. It is specifically made to be in a fixed location.

Oh wait, let me guess, laptops are now desktop computers right? My mom had a laptop that never moved for 5 years. She kept it on the desk at all times and never moved it once.

Those pictures you listed above are not desktop computers. No way.

#94 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:51

Face it, the desktop OS is dead.

How do you think videos like that are being made by the various people involved? Let me tell you, they won't be using Metro anytime soon. For any serious work on Windows 8 you'll most likely end up using the "desktop" for the years to come, so there's really nothing dead about it.

Starting Windows 8 you have to learn and deal with two completely different interface environments within the same OS. How practical.

#95 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:04

I'm growing a bit tired of quoting Microsoft:

[Source]

I'm already using an iPad. How does that make me resistant to change? It simply doesn't work well for every use case.

Mouse isn't as accurate as trackball. If you didn't switch to trackball before, you never cared about accuracy before Metro.

Wow you have got to be kidding me.

Rotating a tablet a certain way and attaching a keyboard does not magically turn it into a desktop.

If I showed a picture with my iPhone horizontal, and a keyboard connected to it, is that a desktop?

A desktop computer is a computer that you intend not to move. It is specifically made to be in a fixed location.

Oh wait, let me guess, laptops are now desktop computers right? My mom had a laptop that never moved for 5 years. She kept it on the desk at all times and never moved it once.

Those pictures you listed above are not desktop computers. No way.

A desktop isn't a computer you never intend to move, because that would be cou ter productive. Years ago there was a trade off between performance and mobility. Now there isn't. Making a computer with the intention that it doesn't move,rather than lack of mobility as a consequence is shooting yourself in the foot.

#96 Active.

Active.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 22:54

Mouse isn't as accurate as trackball. If you didn't switch to trackball before, you never cared about accuracy before Metro.

This makes no sense whatsoever and is serously the stupidest argument yet. But I'm sure at some point you'll have people convinced that they didn't realize Metro was all they wanted and needed on the Desktop all along. Good luck! :laugh:

#97 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 19 March 2012 - 23:05

This is why we're getting Metro:

Posted Image

Stright from Microsoft.

#98 wahoospa

wahoospa

Neowinian

Posted 19 March 2012 - 23:24

"How would you fix Metro on the desktop?"
I'd get rid of Metro and call it 'Windows 7 SE..

#99 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 March 2012 - 23:48

This is why we're getting Metro:

Posted Image

Stright from Microsoft.

Nobody cares if it is a unified ecosystem. Do you think parents and grandparents care if Windows 8 on the desktop is the same as on the phone? Nobody wants to forget 20 of UI history just because. They do not want to sit and read a metro book in order to use heir new computer. They do. It want to watch tutorials in order to use their computer. They will simply request an older operating system. It is simple, it is far more advanced than metro is on the desktop, and it is what everybody grew up with memorizing how to use the system.

Why is it so horrible to perform this slowly and 100% optional like Apple is doing? At least they are keeping their 10 years of UI design intact by still having the dock on.

Honestly, and I am not the only one to think this, Windows 95 seems way more advanced than Windows 8 in terms of UI.

#100 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 March 2012 - 23:52

Why is it so horrible to perform this slowly and 100% optional like Apple is doing? At least they are keeping their 10 years of UI design intact by still having the dock on.

Because the tech world doesn't move at a snail's pace anymore? 10 years is FAR too long to move over to a new paradigm, especially now. OS X is being left in the dirt.

#101 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 20 March 2012 - 00:14

Because the tech world doesn't move at a snail's pace anymore? 10 years is FAR too long to move over to a new paradigm, especially now. OS X is being left in the dirt.

Apple realizes that people don't operate their Macs in the same way as they do their iPads. For some reason Microsoft is under the impression whatever works for tablets works for desktops as well and vice versa. With Windows XP through 7 the company assumed people would enjoy using a minimally adapted desktop UI on a touch screen device (guess again), starting Windows 8 they think people will enjoy using a tablet UI on regular desktops and notebooks.

#102 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2012 - 00:29

starting Windows 8 they think people will enjoy using a tablet UI on regular desktops and notebooks.

Metro is more than a tablet UI...

I'd hardly call this a tablet UI...

I foresee huge potential for the Metro UI. Even on desktops it's amazing to use.

#103 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 20 March 2012 - 00:31

Metro is more than a tablet UI...

That's not really Metro now is it? You're showing me the desktop environment with Windows Aero which is included for compatibility reasons and whatnot.

#104 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 March 2012 - 00:36

That's not really Metro is it? You're showing me the desktop environment with Windows Aero which is included for compatibility reasons and whatnot.

You're not thinking outside the box... But look what I'm doing... I'm running a few Immersive apps on the side and in the background that I can quickly Win+Tab to call up to the front should I need them.

#105 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 20 March 2012 - 00:36

That's not really Metro is it? You're showing me the desktop environment with Windows Aero which is included for compatibility reasons and whatnot.

He's showing that Metro is complimentary... not a replacement. It works with the desktop - not designed to eliminate it.