Installing directx 9 on Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:14

Try booting into safe mode and install the DirectX runtime there.

#17 Titans Dynasty

Titans Dynasty

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:12

I've been experiencing some difficulty with installing driectx 9 on Windows 8 as well. I initially had problems when I tried to play a game on my computer which had Windows 7. I tried various solutions, but essentially Windows wouldn't allow me to install directx 9 because I had a newer version (directx 11) and didn't need directx 9.

I then upgraded to Windows 8 and figured the problem would be solved. I tried to load the game and ran into the same issue. I took GreyWolf's advice and installed it in safe mode. This seems to have worked, but I am now getting the error message "The MSS DLL file is installed in the Windows or Windows system directory - it must be installed in the application directory." I have no clue what that means or how to fix it. Any help would be much appreciated.

#18 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 17:58

The DirectX redistributable is MANDATORY for many older games in Windows 8. Microsoft announced there will not be newer DirectX redistributable but that does not mean that Windows 8 ships with the whole DX9c redistributables: they only included just the latest 2 libraries but many games relies on older ones. Same for the .NET Framework: Windows 8 comes with Framework 4.5 but it doesn't come with anything below 4 (3.5, 3.0, 2.0, 1.0, none of those are present).

I have installed the redistributable on Windows 8 without any issue, if the web version doesn't work try the full version that you can find here.

#19 Hamit Çağdaş Ince

Hamit Çağdaş Ince

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 18 February 2013 - 19:56

Can you please stop installing crap on your PC? You don't have to install directx9 in Windows 8.

hi, do you know directx 9 needs for lots of games and windows 8 doesnt support directx 9 for that reason we can not play games in windows 8... if you said we dont need to install directx9 in windows8 explain it then!! how i will play battlefield 3, dota, crysis 3 in windows 8 ?!!

#20 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:08

DirectX 9 is perfectly fine to install on Windows 8 x86 or x64 and is required for lots of Windows DirectX based games to run.

.Net 3.5 (.Net 2.0 & 3.0) is available from Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on /off.

If Direct X 9 wont install on your machine then you have a lot of issues if .Net 3.5 is added correctly.

#21 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 February 2013 - 21:44

Not quite sure this would work:

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=7352

The Microsoft Application Compatibility toolkit:

Once installed you can- create a DirectX version lie shim for the installer- Which basically lies to it says it has what it needs. Then then install finishes to try the game which should work fine since it actually has a later DX9 than it calls for. Also you could use this tool to get the DX to install if it does not work correctly.

#22 Breach

Breach

Neowinian

Posted 18 February 2013 - 21:48

The DirectX redistributable is MANDATORY for many older games in Windows 8. Microsoft announced there will not be newer DirectX redistributable but that does not mean that Windows 8 ships with the whole DX9c redistributables: they only included just the latest 2 libraries but many games relies on older ones. Same for the .NET Framework: Windows 8 comes with Framework 4.5 but it doesn't come with anything below 4 (3.5, 3.0, 2.0, 1.0, none of those are present).

I have installed the redistributable on Windows 8 without any issue, if the web version doesn't work try the full version that you can find here.

+1

Though I have always been wondering why they didn't include it by default.

#23 OP Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:07

+1

Though I have always been wondering why they didn't include it by default.

I guess in time it would be redundant and you can still install it if you really need it.

#24 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:26

Can you please stop installing crap on your PC? You don't have to install directx9 in Windows 8.

:pinch:

several legitimate programs scream that directx is not installed in windows 8, including winamp and potplayer.
Windows does not come with all directx files for some reason, i always use the web installer from microsoft website.

#25 someone2013

someone2013

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:30

Thanks TokiToki! :)
Installing the RuntimeLibs http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35 worked fine for me on Windows 8, 64bit! I had no sound in Skyrim on Windows 8, now everything is perfect. Of course the runtime libraries of v9 did not overwrite the DirextX11-Installation.