Wii U launch set for November 18

wii-u launch date

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 03 April 2012 - 16:38

Nintendo-focused outlet cites Japanese retailer memo with global release dates for tablet-based console.

The Wii U will hit shelves at the height of the holiday season, according to a report from Wii U Daily.

The Nintendo-focused site is crediting an internal e-mail circulating among staffers at Japanese retailer Media Land with the news that the Wii U will debut in North America on Sunday, November 18. The report indicates that the following week will see the system arrive on shelves in Japan.
Nintendo announced a holiday release window for the Wii U in January. The new tablet-based console has been confirmed to launch in North America, Europe, Japan, and Australia before the year is out

#2 OP Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 03 April 2012 - 16:39

Report: Wii U Release Date Leaked

Japanese release expected a week later.

Nintendo's next console Wii U will launch in the US on Sunday, 18th November, according to a leaked internal memo from a Japanese retailer.

WiiUDaily obtained the information, describing it as an "email circulated among staff at a game store in Japan, the Akihabara-based Media Land, one of the most popular video game shops in Tokyo." The message also states that the console launches one week later in Japan. A European release date isn't mentioned.

Although unofficial at this point, the dates are in line with the release of Nintendo's last console, the Wii, which launched on November 19, 2006 (also a Sunday). It came out in Japan two weeks later, and in Europe, three weeks later.

So far Nintendo has only confirmed that the console would be released sometime during Autumn 2012, but no dates were specified.

#3 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 03 April 2012 - 16:41

i still want to know the price

#4 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 April 2012 - 16:41

Very probable. Let's see how games gear up and how good this device will do. Hope it's far way more powerful than the 360 and PS3, so it can hold on with the future competition .

#5 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

Posted 03 April 2012 - 16:43

So they have announced a release date, just no price or actual specs yet?

#6 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 03 April 2012 - 16:44

So they have announced a release date, just no price or actual specs yet?

technically this release date was leaked ssooooooo......

#7 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 03 April 2012 - 17:35

my guess is $299

#8 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 April 2012 - 17:46

I bet that the Wii-U gets it official unveiling at E3.

#9 S00N3R FR3AK

S00N3R FR3AK

Champion

Posted 03 April 2012 - 19:28

Some other outlets don't want to lend any credibility to this Wiiu daily place. It seems like a likely date because the Gamecube released on the same day but for now most likely just a guess.

#10 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 03 April 2012 - 19:31

I bet that the Wii-U gets it official unveiling at E3.

They officially unveiled it last E3, but yeah, they've said they'll show off nearly everything about it this E3. They still probably won't comment on the specs though, as they rarely ever do these days.

#11 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 03 April 2012 - 19:39

They officially unveiled it last E3, but yeah, they've said they'll show off nearly everything about it this E3. They still probably won't comment on the specs though, as they rarely ever do these days.

They might. The only reason they didn't say the wii specs is cause they wanted to try to hide the fact that it was an overclocked gamecube with some extra ram. Unless the hardware is something disappointing(like equal to 360 in power), i don't see why they'd hide it this time around.

#12 myxomatosis

myxomatosis

Shrinking Universe

Posted 03 April 2012 - 19:44

This is the first Nintendo console I won't buy at launch :o

#13 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 April 2012 - 19:54

They might. The only reason they didn't say the wii specs is cause they wanted to try to hide the fact that it was an overclocked gamecube with some extra ram. Unless the hardware is something disappointing(like equal to 360 in power), i don't see why they'd hide it this time around.

I'm thinking this is going to be an overclocked Wii :unsure:

I mean, HD Wii gaming will be enough to get these out the door, but I am curious as to what they show at E3.

#14 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 April 2012 - 19:55

This is the first Nintendo console I won't buy at launch :o

and Why not

Edit: this si from Wiki on specs

CPU

The Wii U CPU is designed by IBM. It is described by IBM as an "all-new, Power-based microprocessor",[64] the processor is a multi-core design manufactured at 45 nm with an eDRAM cache. Although neither Nintendo nor IBM has revealed detailed specifications, such as the number of cores, clock rate, or cache sizes, references to the chip containing "a lot" of eDRAM and "the same processor technology found in Watson"[65] indicate that the processor shares some characteristics with IBM's POWER7 processor, which powers the Watson computer system and incorporates a large L3 eDRAM cache.

The Wii U CPU will be produced by IBM at their 300 mm semiconductor manufacturing facility in East Fishkill, New York.[64]

[edit]Technical specifications

Nintendo released technical specifications of the Wii U hardware,[66]

Processors: Storage:
  • Internal flash memory, expandable via SD memory cards and USB hard disk drives[68]
  • Slot-loading optical disc drive compatible with 12 cm "proprietary high-density optical discs" (25GB single layer capacity)[69][70] and 12 cm Wii optical discs
Ports and peripheral capabilities:
  • SD memory card slot (supports SDHC cards)
  • USB 2.0 ports (2 at front of console, 2 at rear)
  • Sensor Bar power port
  • "AV Multi Out" port
  • HDMI 1.4 out port[59]
Controller: Note: The Wii U is also compatible with the Wii Remote, Wii Nunchuck, Wii Classic Controller, and the Wii Balance Board.[71] It has been announced through Nintendo Network that the Wiimote will still be used not only for Wii games, but as a new way to combine it with the experience brought by the tablet controller.[72]
Video: Audio
  • "AV Multi Out" port. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI

#15 BumbleBritches57

BumbleBritches57

Neowinian

Posted 03 April 2012 - 19:58

That tablet like controller is straight stupid.