50 posts in this topic

Posted

[b]Here are 13 great examples of stupidity and greed.[/b]

[color=#ff0000][i][b]Source:[/b][/i][/color] [url="http://www.businessinsider.com/13-lottery-winners-who-lost-it-all-2011-6?op=1"]http://www.businessinsider.com/13-lottery-winners-who-lost-it-all-2011-6?op=1[/url]

How often have the words "I wish I could just win the lottery," rolled off your tongue? Probably a few times at work when your boss makes you do something tedious, or when you can't afford that vacation to Europe you've been meaning to take.
These 13 lottery winners may tell you to be careful what you wish for.

[b] Denise Rossi: $1.3 million California lottery[/b]

[img]http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4dd150a64bd7c8c233160000-400-300/denise-rossi-13-million-california-lottery.jpg[/img]
ChristiesDenise Rossi won [url="http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20149566,00.html"]$1.3 million[/url] in the California lotto, didn't tell her husband, and divorced him just days later.
Her husband, Thomas, found his wife's behavior very strange, but moved out anyway. It wasn't until two years later that Thomas received a letter to his new Los Angeles apartment (accidentally postmarked to him) revealing his ex-wife had won the lottery.
Thomas took Denis to court for not disclosing the money in the divorce papers and the judge awarded Thomas the money in full.
If Denise had disclosed the money during the divorce, she more than likely would have been able to keep all, or at least half of the cash.

[b] Bazil Thorne: $2.2 million in the Austrailian lottery[/b]

[img]http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4e0c711fccd1d5604b0e0000-400-300/bazil-thorne-22-million-in-the-austrailian-lottery.jpg[/img]Bazil Thorne won [url="http://kozar.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/13-lottery-winners-who-lost-everything/"]$2.2 million[/url] back in 1950. About a month later, his son Graeme went missing and Thorne received a ransom note for the money he had won from the kidnappers.
But when it was time to give the money to the kidnappers to get his son back, the kidnappers never answered. This was Australia's first kidnapping and there was a massive search for Graeme.
Unfortunately he was found murdered on August 16.

[b] Ibi Roncaiolo: $5 million in the Canadian lottery[/b]

[img]http://static8.businessinsider.com/image/4e0b7539cadcbb6f23220000-400-300/ibi-roncaiolo-5-million-in-the-canadian-lottery.jpg[/img]Ibi Roncaiolo and her husband Dr. Joseph Roncaiolo's marriage had been on the rocks. Ibi was a heavy drinker, and high spender, and their son felt as though his parents didn't really care about eachother.
Then Ibi won [url="http://lotterywinnerbios.blogspot.com/2009/09/ibi-roncaioli-lottery-winner-poisoned.html"]$5 million[/url] from a lottery ticket. After she quickly burned through that, her husband got suspicious. Ibi kept track of all the finances in the home, so Joseph had little idea of how much money they had.
When Joseph looked into their finances, and realized Ibi had burned completely through their savings he snapped. The doctor then injected his wife with two lethal shots of anesthetics, killing her.

[b] Evelyn Adams: $5.4 million in New Jersey Lottery[/b]

[img]http://static8.businessinsider.com/image/4be2d4c87f8b9a8077040200-400-300/evelyn-adams-54-million-in-new-jersey-lottery.jpg[/img]
WikimediaIn the mid-'80s, Adams won the lottery twice; once in 1985 and again in 1986 to defy all odds against her. The New Jersey native won a cool $5.4 million but was a heavy gambler. And with Atlantic City being located in New Jersey, it wasn't long before Adams had lost all her money. Today, she now lives in a trailer park and is flat broke.
[i]Source: [url="http://www.askmen.com/top_10/dating/top-10-lottery-tragedies_1p.html"]AskMen[/url][/i]

[b] Luke Pittard: $1.9 million in UK Lottery[/b]

[img]http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/4be2d2257f8b9a4877340100-400-300/luke-pittard-19-million-in-uk-lottery.jpg[/img]
BusinessPundit.com$1.9 million may sound like a lot but you can't live off it forever.
Welsh-born Luke Pittard won a

Posted

Ouch. Sad to see so many people who had family that turned on them.

Not sure why Luke Pittard is in that list. He won some cash, took a trip, got married, bought a house, and then continues to work while collecting interest on the rest of his winnings and is happy. Not sure how that's "losing it all."
3 people like this

Posted

I know a girl who won

Posted

If you win the lottery, the best thing to do is:

1. Stay out of the spotlight - Refuse to be on the news, radio or anything that exposes you to a threat and the public.
2. Keep your mouth shut, don't tell anyone, not even your dog.
3. Collect ALL the money and avoid the "yearly" pay B.S.
4. Put ALL the money in the bank. Every single cent. Live off the interest.
5. Do not quit your job just because you have money now. That is dumb and stupid.
6. Don't be too nice and avoid giving everyone you see money. That will leave you bankrupt in the long run.
4 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Scorbing' timestamp='1333808819' post='594784004']

1. Stay out of the spotlight - Refuse to be on the news, radio or anything that exposes you to a threat and the public.
5. Do not quit your job just because you have money now. That is dumb and stupid.
6. Don't be too nice and avoid giving everyone you see money. That will leave you bankrupt in the long run.
[/quote]

Keeping quiet and collecting all of it I agree with, but I would immediately move all my families and friends Direct Debits over to my account and pay off any debts at least
1 person likes this

Posted

If I won the lottery I would not tell anyone how much I really won. Also due to the fact that not one of my friends, colleagues or family would give me any money they could all kiss my arse 'cos no-ones getting a penny.

Plus the added bonus of not giving anyone any money is the phrase - "well you gave (insert name here) some so why not me" will never come up. Sorted.

obviously my kids would be spoiled rotten but not too much eh ;-)

Posted

You missed the woman that was reported to be claiming social security after she snorted a million up her nose a year and a bit after her lotto win.

I can't believe people that go public after a huge win.

The Scottish couple that won

Posted

With the UK lottery i thought one of the stipulations is that you have your face in the papers?

Posted

[quote]3. Collect ALL the money and avoid the "yearly" pay B.S.[/quote]
Why would you do that? You won't get as much money and you'll just blow through it faster (if you don't have too much self control).

It sounds really easy to say yeah if I won $600 million I'd just throw it all in the bank and live of the interest, 99% of people who do win lotteries won't do anything like that. They'd buy a huge house, fancy cars, go on expensive vacations and then a few years later wonder where it all went.

Getting some amount of it yearly reduces the changes of that happening.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='TheLegendOfMart' timestamp='1333828362' post='594784624']
With the UK lottery i thought one of the stipulations is that you have your face in the papers?
[/quote]

No, you check a 'no publicity box'. Or you don't.

Posted

And in the UK if you win

Posted

Good read.

Having enough money to make life too easy is dangerous. I wouldn't want to win the lottery or be rich (nor do I try).

Posted

"For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of the foolish shall cause them to perish."
Proverbs 1:32
1 person likes this

Posted

If I won $300 million in the lottery, when people ask me for money I'd just tell them I spent it all on a Mac.
4 people like this

Posted

[quote name='SnoopZ' timestamp='1333829173' post='594784634']
And in the UK if you win

Posted

Posted

They always say you know who your true friends are when you come into some sort of luck.
Shame to see these people blew the lot but it's their own fault, no sympathy for being so stupid.

Posted

Maybe winning the lottery is not such a good thing after all.

Posted

[quote name='Scorbing' timestamp='1333808819' post='594784004']

[/quote]

I agree it's important to be responsible and not lose all your money at once, but it would be ridiculous to win the lottery and not have any fun with it at all!

Posted

[quote name='Austin Weaver' timestamp='1334756502' post='594808247']
I agree it's important to be responsible and not lose all your money at once, but it would be ridiculous to win the lottery and not have any fun with it at all!
[/quote]

theres having some fun with the winnings and theres being a total ,loser and blow it all acting like a n00b.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/149945/If-anyone-was-nice-to-me-cos-of-my-10m-Lotto-winningsId-stab-em.html

kinda glad he has hardly anything left now, he caue a lot people missery.

Posted

It's such a shame. Some of these things were just unavoidable and horrible, but the worst ones to me are the people that just spend their way to nothing. I just do not understand how you can have such bad money management skills...

Posted

[quote name='Austin Weaver' timestamp='1334756502' post='594808247']
[/quote]

I agree 100%, but with some frugality, you could support yourself for most of your life. I just don't get it. If I won the lottery, no matter how much it was, I would not buy a mansion. I would buy a nice, reasonable home and try as best I could to live off of the interest and not touch the principle. lol
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Detection' timestamp='1333809078' post='594784010'] I would immediately move all my families and friends Direct Debits over to my account and pay off any debts at least [/quote]

Worst idea ever. If we have learned anything from the original post its not to trust your family/friends when you have a large sum of money because they are likely to stab you in the back, maybe even literally.

Posted

[quote name='Scorbing' timestamp='1333806521' post='594783948']
Micheal Carroll won [url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1249209/Lotto-lout-Michael-Carroll-dole-squandering-millions.html"]$15.5 million (

Posted

[quote name='Martin5000' timestamp='1334762805' post='594808431']
Hehe, dollars from the London lotto? Think the original author was drunk or something? I suspect he was