13 Lottery Winners Who Lost It All

Here are 13 great examples of stupidity and greed.

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/13-lottery-winners-who-lost-it-all-2011-6?op=1

How often have the words "I wish I could just win the lottery," rolled off your tongue? Probably a few times at work when your boss makes you do something tedious, or when you can't afford that vacation to Europe you've been meaning to take.

These 13 lottery winners may tell you to be careful what you wish for.

Denise Rossi: $1.3 million California lottery

denise-rossi-13-million-california-lottery.jpg

ChristiesDenise Rossi won $1.3 million in the California lotto, didn't tell her husband, and divorced him just days later.

Her husband, Thomas, found his wife's behavior very strange, but moved out anyway. It wasn't until two years later that Thomas received a letter to his new Los Angeles apartment (accidentally postmarked to him) revealing his ex-wife had won the lottery.

Thomas took Denis to court for not disclosing the money in the divorce papers and the judge awarded Thomas the money in full.

If Denise had disclosed the money during the divorce, she more than likely would have been able to keep all, or at least half of the cash.

Bazil Thorne: $2.2 million in the Austrailian lottery

bazil-thorne-22-million-in-the-austrailian-lottery.jpgBazil Thorne won $2.2 million back in 1950. About a month later, his son Graeme went missing and Thorne received a ransom note for the money he had won from the kidnappers.

But when it was time to give the money to the kidnappers to get his son back, the kidnappers never answered. This was Australia's first kidnapping and there was a massive search for Graeme.

Unfortunately he was found murdered on August 16.

Ibi Roncaiolo: $5 million in the Canadian lottery

ibi-roncaiolo-5-million-in-the-canadian-lottery.jpgIbi Roncaiolo and her husband Dr. Joseph Roncaiolo's marriage had been on the rocks. Ibi was a heavy drinker, and high spender, and their son felt as though his parents didn't really care about eachother.

Then Ibi won $5 million from a lottery ticket. After she quickly burned through that, her husband got suspicious. Ibi kept track of all the finances in the home, so Joseph had little idea of how much money they had.

When Joseph looked into their finances, and realized Ibi had burned completely through their savings he snapped. The doctor then injected his wife with two lethal shots of anesthetics, killing her.

Evelyn Adams: $5.4 million in New Jersey Lottery

evelyn-adams-54-million-in-new-jersey-lottery.jpg

WikimediaIn the mid-'80s, Adams won the lottery twice; once in 1985 and again in 1986 to defy all odds against her. The New Jersey native won a cool $5.4 million but was a heavy gambler. And with Atlantic City being located in New Jersey, it wasn't long before Adams had lost all her money. Today, she now lives in a trailer park and is flat broke.

Source: AskMen

Luke Pittard: $1.9 million in UK Lottery

luke-pittard-19-million-in-uk-lottery.jpg

BusinessPundit.com$1.9 million may sound like a lot but you can't live off it forever.

Welsh-born Luke Pittard won a ?1.3 million jackpot ($1.9m USD) in 2006 but spent it all on a trip to the Canary Islands, a wedding, and a house. A year-and-a-half later, Pittard was forced to take up a job in a McDonald's flipping burgers. He says he's happy though and his leftover winnings still collect interest.

Source: Business Pundit

Michael Carroll: $15.5 million in the London lottery

michael-carroll-155-million-in-the-london-lottery.jpgMicheal Carroll won $15.5 million (?9.7 million) in the London lotto, but in just eight years, he blew through it.

What did he spend his money on? Drugs, gambling, and prostitutes.

Now, Carroll is living off unemployment checks, which give him about $67 (?42) per week.

Jeffrey Dampier: $20 million in Illinois Lottery

jeffrey-dampier-20-million-in-illinois-lottery.jpg

Cafeterra.infoDampier and his wife won the $20 million prize back in 1996 and used the winnings to help his family out by buying them houses and the like. He also started a gourmet popcorn store in Tampa, Florida which performed quite well and provided jobs for his family.

But in July of 2005, Dampier went to visit his sister-in-law and her boyfriend when she claimed she had car troubles. Her boyfriend pulled a pistol on Dampier and the two kidnapped him and killed him. They were ultimately convicted in 2006 and 2006 and received life sentences for their crimes.

Source: Cafeterra

Abraham Shakespeare: $30 million in the Florida lottery

abraham-shakespeare-30-million-in-the-florida-lottery.jpgAbraham Shakespeare could barely read and was working as a truck driver's assistant. Then luckily one day he won $30 million in the Florida lottery. He said he found out he won after giving the last $3 he had in his pocket to a homeless man.

Shakespeare had a criminal record, and decided to take the lumpsum of $16.9 million. He didn't buy much, a car, a rolex, a house, and he was generous with the rest, helping family and friends.

But then Shakespeare went missing. Later he was found dead, and Dorice Moore was found guilty of his murder. Moore was a friend who managed his finances.

Billy Bob Harrell Jr.: $31 million in Texas Lottery

billy-bob-harrell-jr-31-million-in-texas-lottery.jpgA Pentecostal preacher working as a stockboy at Home Depot hit the $31 million jackpot back in 1997. At first, life was good with Billy Bob buying a ranch, six other homes, and some new cars. Like many others who win the lottery, he was unable to simply say "NO!" when people asked him for a handout.

Later in life he divorced his wife and eventually committed suicide, the stress apparently too much to handle for this lottery winner.

Source: Business Pundit

Willie Hurt: $3.1 million in Michigan Lottery

willie-hurt-31-million-in-michigan-lottery.jpgIn 1989, Willie won a $3.1 million jackpot in the Michigan Lottery and was on top of the world.

Fast forward to two years later and Hurt was divorced, lost custody of his children, charged with attempted murder, and had one hell of a crack-cocaine addiction. So bad that he blew through his entire fortune.

Source: AskMen

Suzanne Mullins: $4.2 million in Virginia Lottery

suzanne-mullins-42-million-in-virginia-lottery.jpgMullins won the lottery back in 1993 and opted for yearly payouts instead of a lump sum. As a result, she quickly found herself in debt and used her future payouts as collateral for a $200,000 loan. Mullins later switched to a lump sum payout but never paid back her debts. The loan company filed suit and won judgment for a $154k settlement but they haven't collected anything because Mullins reportedly has no assets.

Source: MSN

William Post: $16.2 million in Pennsylvania Lottery

william-post-162-million-in-pennsylvania-lottery.jpg

Cafeterra.infoIn 1988, William "Bud" Post won a $16.2 million jackpot in the Pennsylvania state lottery. That was the start of his problems.

An ex-girlfriend sued him for a share of winnings and won, his brother hired a hit man to try to kill him hoping to inherit some winnings, and other relatives bugged him constantly for money. Within one year, Post was $1 million in debt and filed for bankruptcy. He now lives on food stamps and a $450 month stipend.

Source: MSN

John Whittaker: $314.9 million in the West Virginia lottery

john-whittaker-3149-million-in-the-west-virginia-lottery.jpgJack Whittaker won the biggest single lottery ticket as of Christmas day in 2002, in West Virginia?a whopping $314.9 million. At first Whittaker put his money to good use, donating to charities, building churches, and helping out friends and family.

But then it got ugly, and Whittaker told everyone who wanted money from him "could kiss off." His wife and daughter began to resent him, he was drugged had $545,000 stolen from his car in cash while he was at a strip club, then he had another $100,000 in cash stolen from his car, a few weeks later was charged with a DUI.

His granddaughter also became resentful and turned into a drug addict, and eventually, she died of a drug overdose. She was able to buy these drugs because of the unlimited amounts of money available, Whittaker said his granddaughter was his world.

Ouch. Sad to see so many people who had family that turned on them.

Not sure why Luke Pittard is in that list. He won some cash, took a trip, got married, bought a house, and then continues to work while collecting interest on the rest of his winnings and is happy. Not sure how that's "losing it all."

• Like 3

If you win the lottery, the best thing to do is:

1. Stay out of the spotlight - Refuse to be on the news, radio or anything that exposes you to a threat and the public.

2. Keep your mouth shut, don't tell anyone, not even your dog.

3. Collect ALL the money and avoid the "yearly" pay B.S.

4. Put ALL the money in the bank. Every single cent. Live off the interest.

5. Do not quit your job just because you have money now. That is dumb and stupid.

6. Don't be too nice and avoid giving everyone you see money. That will leave you bankrupt in the long run.

1. Stay out of the spotlight - Refuse to be on the news, radio or anything that exposes you to a threat and the public.

5. Do not quit your job just because you have money now. That is dumb and stupid.

6. Don't be too nice and avoid giving everyone you see money. That will leave you bankrupt in the long run.

Keeping quiet and collecting all of it I agree with, but I would immediately move all my families and friends Direct Debits over to my account and pay off any debts at least

If I won the lottery I would not tell anyone how much I really won. Also due to the fact that not one of my friends, colleagues or family would give me any money they could all kiss my arse 'cos no-ones getting a penny.

Plus the added bonus of not giving anyone any money is the phrase - "well you gave (insert name here) some so why not me" will never come up. Sorted.

obviously my kids would be spoiled rotten but not too much eh ;-)

You missed the woman that was reported to be claiming social security after she snorted a million up her nose a year and a bit after her lotto win.

I can't believe people that go public after a huge win.

The Scottish couple that won ?161,000,000 and then a day later on TV popping corks out of Champagne bottles with big grins as bis as their bellies.

Next day it was reported they had left the country and are in Crete, to escape the harassment.

If I won the jackpot, it will be kept quiet.

I would then spread 33% to my fianc?e, 33% to me, 12.5% each to my two children and then the rest spread equally between Poppy fund and The Salvation Army.

Why would you do that? You won't get as much money and you'll just blow through it faster (if you don't have too much self control).

It sounds really easy to say yeah if I won $600 million I'd just throw it all in the bank and live of the interest, 99% of people who do win lotteries won't do anything like that. They'd buy a huge house, fancy cars, go on expensive vacations and then a few years later wonder where it all went.

Getting some amount of it yearly reduces the changes of that happening.

With the UK lottery i thought one of the stipulations is that you have your face in the papers?

No, you check a 'no publicity box'. Or you don't.

And in the UK if you win ?50 million etc you automatically get it all at once, none of this take a lump sum crap.

If you only got 3 million a year you could die a few years later and then family can't inherit it etc.

Good read.

Having enough money to make life too easy is dangerous. I wouldn't want to win the lottery or be rich (nor do I try).

And in the UK if you win ?50 million etc you automatically get it all at once, none of this take a lump sum crap.

If you only got 3 million a year you could die a few years later and then family can't inherit it etc.

In the UK, it doesn't matter what you win, you get it all in one lump sum, with no tax to pay(on the actual winnings).

?1m sounds a lot of money, but when you say it is only One Thousand, ?1000's - and you know how easy it is to spend ?1000, it suddenly doesn't seem so much

They always say you know who your true friends are when you come into some sort of luck.

Shame to see these people blew the lot but it's their own fault, no sympathy for being so stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree it's important to be responsible and not lose all your money at once, but it would be ridiculous to win the lottery and not have any fun with it at all!

I agree it's important to be responsible and not lose all your money at once, but it would be ridiculous to win the lottery and not have any fun with it at all!

theres having some fun with the winnings and theres being a total ,loser and blow it all acting like a n00b.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/149945/If-anyone-was-nice-to-me-cos-of-my-10m-Lotto-winningsId-stab-em.html

kinda glad he has hardly anything left now, he caue a lot people missery.

It's such a shame. Some of these things were just unavoidable and horrible, but the worst ones to me are the people that just spend their way to nothing. I just do not understand how you can have such bad money management skills...

I agree 100%, but with some frugality, you could support yourself for most of your life. I just don't get it. If I won the lottery, no matter how much it was, I would not buy a mansion. I would buy a nice, reasonable home and try as best I could to live off of the interest and not touch the principle. lol

• Like 2

I would immediately move all my families and friends Direct Debits over to my account and pay off any debts at least

Worst idea ever. If we have learned anything from the original post its not to trust your family/friends when you have a large sum of money because they are likely to stab you in the back, maybe even literally.

Hehe, dollars from the London lotto? Think the original author was drunk or something? I suspect he was ? from the UK national lottery.

What? You don't know how to read.