Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:51

man, you type good for a 5 year old

:shifty:

You get the point :p

#33 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:31

Not everyone has modern hardware now do they?

No, but Windows 8 happens to boot up incredibly fast even on older hardware.

And yes, the sound was removed for performance reasons. I think startup sounds are annoying, and it's not only Windows. It's kinda funny when a MacBook goes BOOOOOOONG when some of my friends turn it on in a discrete environment.

#34 +devHead

devHead

The stars, like dust...

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:36

I agree with most everyone; the startup sound was kind of stupid. I'm glad they made a separate checkbox for it in the Sounds schemes dialog even. I've always turned it off. On the other hand, I really hope they restore the ability to change your system fonts (Window titles, dialog box, icon font, etc.) I really can't understand why they'd remove that functionality completely, at least for desktop/laptop devices.

#35 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:16

I agree with most everyone; the startup sound was kind of stupid. I'm glad they made a separate checkbox for it in the Sounds schemes dialog even. I've always turned it off. On the other hand, I really hope they restore the ability to change your system fonts (Window titles, dialog box, icon font, etc.) I really can't understand why they'd remove that functionality completely, at least for desktop/laptop devices.

I agree, I don't like that I can't change the system fonts to what I want, like in Win7 and previous versions.

#36 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 May 2012 - 15:43

Just one question.... How come a little kb audio file impacts that dramatically the performance?

#37 McKay

McKay

Grossly Incandescent.

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:34

I just looked on System sounds, and there arent even options for "Logon" "Logout" anymore. It's a shame, I spent about 30 minutes tracking down some new sounds for my login/logout and discover I can't use them.

#38 Dubstep Nixon

Dubstep Nixon

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:47

Startup sounds are so Windows 3.1, they should have been gone long ago. I disable all system sounds myself, they are annoying.

/tada.wav

#39 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:15

Just one question.... How come a little kb audio file impacts that dramatically the performance?

If the systems can boot in as little as 3sec then playing a 1.x sec sound is about 33% of boot time? :/

#40 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:28

I disable system sounds - they are annoying and INTERFERE

#41 Ci7

Ci7

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony XZ

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:44

i like it better this way (Y)

#42 RandPC

RandPC

Neowinian

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:11

If the systems can boot in as little as 3sec then playing a 1.x sec sound is about 33% of boot time? :/

The boot process doesn't come to a halt while the sound plays, the sound can easily continue to play while the system is booting. It's basically the processing time required to start and play the sound... which is effectively nothing at all on anything manufactured in the last ~15-20yrs.
I can definitely say that removing bootup/shutdown/logon sounds has done nothing at all to improve the speed on Win7. Playing a couple second long audio clip just isn't remotely stressful enough on the hardware to have even the tiniest impact.

#43 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 24 June 2012 - 16:11

The boot process doesn't come to a halt while the sound plays, the sound can easily continue to play while the system is booting. It's basically the processing time required to start and play the sound... which is effectively nothing at all on anything manufactured in the last ~15-20yrs.
I can definitely say that removing bootup/shutdown/logon sounds has done nothing at all to improve the speed on Win7. Playing a couple second long audio clip just isn't remotely stressful enough on the hardware to have even the tiniest impact.

It doesn't come to a halt but I think MS had blogged that at times the boot process is so fast that it needed to wait on the sound to finish playing (or something like that, obviously IIRC).

#44 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 25 June 2012 - 15:57

My machine boots to start screen in 5 seconds once past bios screen. I cannot compromise time over some tring tring sound.

#45 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 25 June 2012 - 16:05

Right, because on today's hardware a quick jingle is likely to have a severe impact on startup performance. Gimme a break.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!