Galaxy Nexus vs One X

62 members have voted

1. 1. For camera, software and screen, which is better?

• Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    • HTC One X/XL
    • One is better at some, please explain.

So with my upgrade looming ever closer(may 1st) and the new EVOs release date unknown I have been looking at the Nexus. I like the idea of pure Android and no waiting around for updates. I get $50 in credit for google wallet through May 22nd and I get $100 in trade credit on my EVO through Best Buy which will stack with another $50 gift card from that superbowl promotion(good for the whole year). I'm not a fan of touchwhiz so the SGS3 would only matter to me should it have pure google which is rumored. For those that have used both the new One X and the Nexus what do you think of the two? I am mainly looking to compare camera, software and screen as the internals will be different from the One X to the EVO but we can't compare that yet. Unless of course the One XL comes out quickly and people are still reading this thread, So for me right now

Galaxy Nexus Pros

Quick updates(jelly bean this year)

32GBs internal

EVO worth $100 on trade in

$50 in google wallet credit through May 22nd

removeable battery

Cons

5 months old already

Pentile? Gonna go to the sprint store sunday to get a closer look.

One X pros

At least on video the camera app looks great

25GBs of drop box

SD card slot on sprint version

Larger screen

Super LCD?

Cons

16GB of internal

Non-removeable battery

The OG EVO had slow updates

Have not played with Sense 4 but my EVOs sense sucks

Pentile is rather horrible (my Droid 3 has an pentile and it is rather horrible indeed) however, when it comes to the oneX the non-removable battery is already and instant no buy for me.

If you are really in the market for a new phone soon i would hold off for a few more weeks and see if the new Galaxy phone is going to come to sprint.

also the Galaxy SII technically has better specs than the Nexus and benchmarks better (OneX is better than GSII)

Pentile is rather horrible (my Droid 3 has an pentile and it is rather horrible indeed) however, when it comes to the oneX the non-removable battery is already and instant no buy for me.

If you are really in the market for a new phone soon i would hold off for a few more weeks and see if the new Galaxy phone is going to come to sprint.

also the Galaxy SII technically has better specs than the Nexus and benchmarks better (OneX is better than GSII)

I can wait till may 3rd, but if history repeats itself I don't want to wait a few months to see the phone stateside. As for the touchwhiz though, I'm not sure i want to mess with putting stuff on it to getting pure google. But if the rumors of pure google on the phone are true I might wait,

I voted for the One X since I got one at the weekend, and I love it. There's some software bugs, but there is a patch due which will fix most of them, but aside from that it's massively powerful, the screen is gorgeous to look at, and it's a pretty device too (prettier than the Galaxy Nexus IMO).

Sense 4 is a completely different beast to older versions of Sense, they've taken a lot of the bloat out, and it looks pretty good. In fact I haven't really even considered removing it (something that made my Desire infinitely better). The Beats Audio is pretty amazing too, the sound quality when it's turned on is aces.

yeah, the no removable battery is a auto no-deal for me as well, as most android phones currently need the extended battery to have any kind of acceptable battery life.

most android phones I'm seeing an average battery life of 4-8 hours with the standard battery, that's just unacceptable IMO

yeah, the no removable battery is a auto no-deal for me as well, as most android phones currently need the extended battery to have any kind of acceptable battery life.

most android phones I'm seeing an average battery life of 4-8 hours with the standard battery, that's just unacceptable IMO

What do you do with your phone?! My One X gets about 40 hours on a single charge with moderate use.

Might as well throw this out there for me, I plan to have this as my main music player through spotify, with music downloaded mostly and not streaming. Read news stories on multiple apps through out the day and playing games, though most are not graphics heavy. One more thing I thought of, how many people can I text at once? I know the OG EVO can handle 40, how about the Nexus?

What do you do with your phone?! My One X gets about 40 hours on a single charge with moderate use.

i don't even own a smart phone right now (need to wait till i get a new job first)

idk, maybe it's just because I'm looking at the cheaper ones but most of the specs and reviews i've looked at for android phones show bad battery life

It's a no brainer, the One X. To the bit about the Galaxy Nexus getting quick updates, that totally depends on where you buy it from! if it's a carrier locked model then your in for a long wait for updates (my Telstra Galaxy Nexus is stuck on ICS 4.0.1 and apparently Telstra is not that interested in pushing out updates for it...they have this attitude that they are not required to update their phones [which is true, nowhere in the contract does it state they are required to push updates], however, is still a bad attitude to have considering part of the appeal of the Nexus line is it's suppose to get frequent updates). Also, I dunno why people are so hung up on the Pentile display on the Galaxy Nexus for? as it looks beautiful to me and I love it! However, I would of bought the One X, but I didn't want to wait another week for it to be released and got the Galaxy Nexus instead :p.

I can wait till may 3rd, but if history repeats itself I don't want to wait a few months to see the phone stateside. As for the touchwhiz though, I'm not sure i want to mess with putting stuff on it to getting pure google. But if the rumors of pure google on the phone are true I might wait,

I am sure it will take them a few extra months to bring the phone to the USA and sadly I expect the phone not to be released for Verizon like they did with the Galaxy SII however, this time around it might. They claim the GSII didnt come to Verizon due to the Galaxy Nexus.

I had a SGS 2 previously but decided to sell it and swap to a Nexus. I don't view a mobile device as a serious gaming platform, so no loss switching to the weaker GPU on the Nexus, what was more important to me was that I wanted vanilla Android and prompt system updates.

As long as your Nexus is Yakju or Mysid, you'll receive system updates direct from Google OTA, for all other revisions it's down to Samsung. Of course, you can download the appropriate factory image direct from Google and apply the update yourself, you can also change type to a Yakju to receive updates as well (XDA forums for HowTo's).

I'm glad I made the swap to the current Nexus and I'll be upgrading to any new Nexus in the future.

The Pentile display on my Galaxy Nexus isn't bad at all, AFAIK Pentile only looks bad on sub HD resolutions.

Toss up - the screen on the GN is actually quite good. Sure, people will complain about pentile, but it's not noticeable to most people, and people bitch about it because they can.

Camera - is decent on Nexus, but all the reviews I've read on One X - people are raving about the camera.

Software - subjective. If you like Sense, then you'll like One X. If you want stock ICS with fast updates plus big dev. community, the Nexus is the way to go.

These are two top notch devices. You'll be happy either way.

It's a no brainer, the One X. To the bit about the Galaxy Nexus getting quick updates, that totally depends on where you buy it from! if it's a carrier locked model then your in for a long wait for updates (my Telstra Galaxy Nexus is stuck on ICS 4.0.1 and apparently Telstra is not that interested in pushing out updates for it...they have this attitude that they are not required to update their phones [which is true, nowhere in the contract does it state they are required to push updates], however, is still a bad attitude to have considering part of the appeal of the Nexus line is it's suppose to get frequent updates). Also, I dunno why people are so hung up on the Pentile display on the Galaxy Nexus for? as it looks beautiful to me and I love it! However, I would of bought the One X, but I didn't want to wait another week for it to be released and got the Galaxy Nexus instead :p.

You do know that ALL carrier versions of the Galaxy Nexus can be flashed with a stock Google ROM, don't you?

You can "fix" Telstra's laziness with the GN with the following:

fastboot oem unlock

fastboot flashall -w (using the stock images from Google themselves)

fastboot oem lock

you will then get official updates from Google - no more Telstra

You do know that ALL carrier versions of the Galaxy Nexus can be flashed with a stock Google ROM, don't you?

Yes, I'm well aware of that. Apart from voiding your warranty, having to flash your phone to make it work properly is still a flaw. I had to root and flash my old HTC Desire to make it work properly, while granted the ROM was more up to date and run so much better then the stock HTC ROM. It was still annoying that I had to do that. Unless your a techie that doesn't mind screwing around with your phone, it's not a good thing as it makes OEMs/Carriers lazy and it screws over the general consumer (the main people the money comes from, who just want a phone that works out of the box). However, please don't read that as I'm against that kind a customization as I'm not, no problem with it at all per say. I just feel OEMs/Carriers should also try to do a good job as well because not everyone will want to root/flash their device to get it's full potential.

You can "fix" Telstra's laziness with the GN with the following:

fastboot oem unlock

fastboot flashall -w (using the stock images from Google themselves)

fastboot oem lock

you will then get official updates from Google - no more Telstra

I know, just rather keep my 2 year warranty in case I need to return the phone for repairs and yes I know you can reflash it back to stock before you send it in, however, if the phone dies and you can't reflash it your screwed..rather not take that risk. I'll probably try custom ROMs towards the end of my 2 year contract (like I did with my Desire) when it doesn't matter if something goes wrong. That is just me.

Few more questions, when do the on screen buttons on the gnex go away and can I customize it at all? And if I were to go with the EVO I would grab a 32gb SD card for just my music as I don't wan to stream that, do I need to get one of the higher end SD cards that are faster or will a basic one keep things running?

Neither phone has expandable storage I'm afraid. I do know that the One X has 32GB internal though, so you should be set :)

Neither phone has expandable storage I'm afraid. I do know that the One X has 32GB internal though, so you should be set :)

The EVO version of the One X(the one I would get over the gnex) does.

Might I ask if you could consider the Sony Xperia S? Should be a little cheaper than either the Nexus or One X, is about as fast, has an amazing display and awesome camera, and Sony is always quite fast with software updates. Plus, we already have Cyanogenmod 9 alpha's, unlockable bootloader, ... And Sony's Android skin is the best you can get, usually even smoother than 'clean' Android. Also has 32GB of memory on-board, and the display is true RGB, not PenTile.

The EVO version of the One X(the one I would get over the gnex) does.

Which one is the evo one, I've not heard of such a thing?

Few more questions, when do the on screen buttons on the gnex go away and can I customize it at all? And if I were to go with the EVO I would grab a 32gb SD card for just my music as I don't wan to stream that, do I need to get one of the higher end SD cards that are faster or will a basic one keep things running?

The on screen buttons only go away when an app goes full screen, such as netflix when watching a video.You have to remember that the Galaxy Nexus has no physical buttons so the on screen ones are the only way to interact with the device. Customisation is a big selling point of Android, but if you mean customise the on screen buttons then you can't do that.

If you get the EVO then you don't need a high speed SD card but it helps when accessing data, especially if you store things like game data for games like Shadowgun.

I will always buy a Nexus phone and a SIM-free one at that as I hate manufacturer skins and carrier customisations, they slow down updates and IMHO generally cause more problems than they solve.