Galaxy Nexus vs One X

62 members have voted

1. 1. For camera, software and screen, which is better?

• Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    • HTC One X/XL
    • One is better at some, please explain.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. Apart from voiding your warranty, having to flash your phone to make it work properly is still a flaw. I had to root and flash my old HTC Desire to make it work properly, while granted the ROM was more up to date and run so much better then the stock HTC ROM. It was still annoying that I had to do that. Unless your a techie that doesn't mind screwing around with your phone, it's not a good thing as it makes OEMs/Carriers lazy and it screws over the general consumer (the main people the money comes from, who just want a phone that works out of the box). However, please don't read that as I'm against that kind a customization as I'm not, no problem with it at all per say. I just feel OEMs/Carriers should also try to do a good job as well because not everyone will want to root/flash their device to get it's full potential.

I know, just rather keep my 2 year warranty in case I need to return the phone for repairs and yes I know you can reflash it back to stock before you send it in, however, if the phone dies and you can't reflash it your screwed..rather not take that risk. I'll probably try custom ROMs towards the end of my 2 year contract (like I did with my Desire) when it doesn't matter if something goes wrong. That is just me.

Fair enough. Although I don't believe the contents on the phone is the deciding factor for a warranty, just the status of the bootloader. I think :)

Fair enough. Although I don't believe the contents on the phone is the deciding factor for a warranty, just the status of the bootloader. I think :)

I checked and flashing the phone to yakju WILL void the warranty. Obviously if the phone is bricked then there would be no way to check anyway.

Might I ask if you could consider the Sony Xperia S? Should be a little cheaper than either the Nexus or One X, is about as fast, has an amazing display and awesome camera, and Sony is always quite fast with software updates. Plus, we already have Cyanogenmod 9 alpha's, unlockable bootloader, ... And Sony's Android skin is the best you can get, usually even smoother than 'clean' Android. Also has 32GB of memory on-board, and the display is true RGB, not PenTile.

O I think it looks awesome, sadly Sprint has not gotten a Sony phone in awhile and I do not have the cash to buy unlocked.

So right now I am still tilting back and forth between the two. The gnex of course I can get for "free" with my money given back in various ways as long as I get it before may 22nd and the EVO(One X) costing me at least $100, $50 if it comes out before may is up. I will be toying around with the gnex this sunday and I guess the One X at a ATT store in early May. Don't care for the SGS3, don't like touchwhiz at all. Do yall think that the gnex dual core will be good enough to last the next two years playing games and run the current version of android? That is my main question. I will get a better look at the screens and camera apps and that i can see for myself but I just don't know about the hardware.

Galaxy Nexus is one of the best high end phones out there with the WORST camera by far in ts category.

Considering I have an SLR it really doesn't bother me how good or bad the camera is on my phone.

Played with the gnex today and the only problem I found is the lack of sprint TV. I found the app in the market and installed it but then it said this app is not compatibility with this device. Would this because these phones are not on sprints network in the store and just the wifi? Or does the gnex not get to use those sprint apps at all. Honestly not getting Sprint TV could be the deal breaker if the May 18th(For EVO LTE) release date stays true letting me get the $100 for the EVO from best buy.

Get what you like. By my observation the pentile display is not obvious with the 720p display. Personally I used to love Sense but ICS by itself is much better looking than Sense.

The added horsepwer to the One X is not a plus either since it is still running Sense ontop of ICS. The only good thing the OneX has is the Camera.

Get what you like. By my observation the pentile display is not obvious with the 720p display. Personally I used to love Sense but ICS by itself is much better looking than Sense.

The added horsepwer to the One X is not a plus either since it is still running Sense ontop of ICS. The only good thing the OneX has is the Camera.

As long as the pics are in HD that is what I need. Not looking for high quality here. At this point now the most important factor is figuring out if sprint tv will work on the gnex. I found a case with a kick stand so that negates that bonus of the LTEVO so now it is just the TV. I really enjoy watching ESPN on there so I really hope I can.

What about the One S? :)

The only worthwhile advantages that the X has over the S IMO is the screen, NFC and more internal storage.

You can check my review of the one S out here:

http://www.neowin.ne...1937-htc-one-s/

The screen isn't as bad as what some people make it out to be IMO, obviously if you have 720P screens side by side, you will notice the difference :p

Also the One X has 32GB of storage, the one S has 16GB.

Stock ICS and sense V4 are both great, they have their weaknesses and strengths, it just comes down to personal preference in the end and I strongly suggest that you try all mobiles out in the shop first :)

EDIT:

As for the camera, easily the one X

Oh :(

What about the one XL? (not out yet though) Can it be used on sprints network?

It has pretty much the same internals as the S but the screen of the X, so the best of both :)

Oh :(

What about the one XL? (not out yet though) Can it be used on sprints network?

It has pretty much the same internals as the S but the screen of the X, so the best of both :)

Yeah, the new EVO 4G LTE is a one xl but with a better battery, 2000mah, a SD card slot and kickstand.

Right now between the two phones I am looking at pure google, $50 of google credit and a for sure $100 for my OG EVO for the gnex and the LCD screen, built in kickstand, camera of the EVO LTE(One XL). If the rumored May 18th release date is true then I will be able to get the $100 for my EVO np.

Last question for now, if I were to root the new EVO to stay up to date on android and get rid of most of the crap I don't need can I still use sprint TV? I know no one here has it yet but in terms of other phones on the network.

I can't comment on the sprint TV thing etc. as I am not 100% sure :p

But with ICS you can now disable any apps that come on the mobile as stock, can't remove them though :( But it is better than nothing and it stops them from using any resources and showing up in your app drawer etc. :)

When people complain about Pentile, they usually refer to one of the Motorola smartphones. They used RGBW Pentile, which is especially horrible due to the white pixel business. The GNex is RGBG.

When people complain about Pentile, they usually refer to one of the Motorola smartphones. They used RGBW Pentile, which is especially horrible due to the white pixel business. The GNex is RGBG.

Which is still crap. We have some Pentile phones on display (Galaxy Nexus and Lumia 800), and every time I see them I notice edges don't look good. It's not too bad on the Galaxy Nexus, but it does negate much of the high DPI advantage in my opinion.

Yup, it isn't exactly the same for UI and the way it works but it is more or less the same.

I will try to get a panorama photo done with my one S sometime tomorrow to try and give you an idea of the quality :)

Well Sprint tv just became a moot point, I remembered about the watch ESPN app and I have Time Warner so I am good as I did not use Sprint TV for anything else. So I will just wait till May 6th to play with the One XL just to make sure and then I will make my choice. Though I guess there are a few demo units out right now. And could people with gnex post some pics for comparison with his one s please?

Using a hacked apk, yu can get the 25gb Dropbox on any phone. I have it for my GSII already. The one X is having tons of bugs according to the XDA forums, and the Tegra 3 is becoming dated. Id wait a bit longer for a GSIII or somethin with a Snapdragon S4.

Using a hacked apk, yu can get the 25gb Dropbox on any phone. I have it for my GSII already. The one X is having tons of bugs according to the XDA forums, and the Tegra 3 is becoming dated. Id wait a bit longer for a GSIII or somethin with a Snapdragon S4.

The new EVO has the Snapdragon. That is why I really just wanted to compare camera, software and other stuff that the One x and EVO LTE would share.

I will try to get a panorama photo done with my one S sometime tomorrow to try and give you an idea of the quality :)

Just took a quick panorama shot:

http://i.imgur.com/pydpm.jpg

Not bad and I am pretty sure that I moved up and down a bit for each "shot", so it wasn't exactly even throughout as I had to readjust.

See if you can spot where the "stitching" hasn't quite worked out :p

I currently have a Nexus (VZW model) and while I do absolutely love the phone, I'm really digging the One-X.

Honestly if Verizon would get a version (not the incredible -s variant) (I hate the back of the incredible... and yes I am a previous owner of a og incredible) I'd be pretty tempted to jump ship.

I just like HTC better. (I guess because all my previous phones were HTC... Droid Eris, Incredible, Incredible 2).

I am now 99% sure I am getting the gnex. I have till the 5th to get the extra money for EVO trade in. I figure I have to at least wait till the next GS3s announcement but I'm ready for the Nexus and getting the new one in the fall.