Gizmodo: Nokia Lumia 900 "selling like crazy

I seriously hope all this hype about the sales figures is actually shown off by Nokia soonish.

They'll probably show the sale numbers in Q2 results.

I've heard many people saying its sold out in stores but the article says a lot of stores only have 8 units, it shouldn't be hard to sell 8 units so its not that impressive tbf.

If you read the article you find that an employee at a single store said "it's selling like crazy", and that the stores where it's sold out actually had 8 (or less) in stock in the first place. It's just artificial scarcity by the look of it. Hopefully it works out for them and it encourages sales when stock levels improve.

I happened to have a hands on at a local store today. To be honest, it feels very solid and class. Cannot fault at the design. Very good suff. WP7.5 on the other hand feels like it is lacking features because most are hidden in some far away place.

I happened to have a hands on at a local store today. To be honest, it feels very solid and class. Cannot fault at the design. Very good suff. WP7.5 on the other hand feels like it is lacking features because most are hidden in some far away place.

What is it lacking?

What is it lacking?

WP7.5 on the other hand feels like it is lacking features because most are hidden in some far away place.

It's the OS design philosophy of hiding all random stuff and steep learning curve, gives us that feeling. This certainly doesn't mean it lacks features.

However some apps which I depend on are less polished. Eg: Asee which I use for surveillance of our business premises. If I try to switch cameras at speed, the whole DVR crashes/reboots. This does not happen on same app in iOS or Android.

Waiting for it's update forever. Lazy devs are not bothered. However the same Android and iOS apps see a monthly update and bug fixes.

That was offtopic and not MS or Nokia's fault. But it definitely brings the whole WP7 experience down. This hurts Nokia's sales. Its a circle.

Shouldn't it be - "given away like crazy? ? Considering AT&T are effectively giving them away for free (not including contract price of course).

Ah here's the caveat:

They note however that initial stock was very low to start with, with most stores starting with only 3-4 of each colour, giving a maximum of 8 per store. AT&T has about 2,200 locations in USA.

Shouldn't it be - "given away like crazy? ? Considering AT&T are effectively giving them away for free (not including contract price of course).

Nope because Nokia still get paid. As do AT&T. A 2 year contract is far more lucrative than a single sale.

Oh I love your comments. You just hate it when theres good news about Windows Phone.

I'm a bit surprised at the low stocking levels given how hard Nokia has been pushing this launch.

I think more than anything that shows just how well it's selling. Nokia no doubt prepared for this launch by preparing as much stock as they could, so it's clearly doing very well. At my local AT&T store people have been in there pretty regularly to look at the Lumia... I even had to wait in line when I wanted to look at it. LMAO

I want one, I really wish it was on Verizon

Agreed. I looked at it the other day and it is a very nice phone. I'm hoping Nokia has a nice Lumia 900 style phone on Verizon when Windows Phone 8 comes out as that will be around when I'll be eligible for an upgrade.

Who cares if they are given away for free. Want to pay $79+ a month in Australia just for the contract? Free phone. Done. Doesn't matter where you go, just have the phone.

America is actually behind in contracts and pricing, I really do feel for them. I haven't paid for a phone in over 10 years. Seriously. Take a look at the plans here and compare. http://www.telstra.com.au http://www.vodafone.com.au http://www.optus.com.au

Does that mean Australian sales numbers shouldn't count, because they're free on the contract?

The thing is. You still have a choice of phone. So people are still choosing the WP7.

You just hate it when theres good news about Windows Phone.

Not at all. I just like to get at the real facts. Like how this was conveniently omitted from the original post:

They note however that initial stock was very low to start with, with most stores starting with only 3-4 of each colour, giving a maximum of 8 per store. AT&T has about 2,200 locations in USA.

The stock was already low to begin with. There's nothing worse than fake hype. Just like the picture of people queuing at an AT&T store waiting to buy an iPhone being used as proof of demand for the Lumia.

Bought 3 cyan Lumia 900's for the family and we love them, contract with verizon had been up for over a year and had been waiting for the Nokia's specifically. A little hesitant moving to AT&T but coverage for us is great and the sound quality of phone is excellent. Don't know if it is the phone or AT&T but very impressed from the beginning.

Whether low numbers or not in stock; the plain fact is that Nokia, who was virtually nonexistent in the US, has create a large demand from a lot of people who, I bet, never even had considered Nokia once in their lives. How to get (back) into a market dominated by iPhones and Androids... that's no small task. In fact, I'm sure it would have been impossible for any other mobile phone maker to do the same with WP7-enabled handsets if they had been in the same situation.

I don't understand how Nokia was never big in the US. How did Nokia omit America all these years?

Whether low numbers or not in stock;

What I dislike is using low stock as proof of demand when there's hardly any stock to begin with. It's self defeating. I wish Nokia and the Lumia all the best, but such fake hype is just pointless.