New Gmail Look rolls out...complaints sky rocket

I switched a long time ago. I think the default display density is too open but setting it to Cosy is just right. I also wish read messages had an ever so slightly darker background to them. Apart from that, I really like it.

Switched to it ages ago, I like it on large screens, on low resolution laptop screens (~ 768px vertical) it feels a little cramped due to all the toolbars being fixed (rather than just the action bar like it was previously), but I'm getting used to it now.

'people hate change'.

Well there's a good reason. I've never used gmail, but before hotmail went ajax, it was perfect. As soon as it went ajax, it just became a mess (and it still is a mess). Double click emails to open them but single click does nothing? WTF is that about? Half the time when you click the checkbox it'll actually open the message instead, and once you go back, all the checkboxes have been cleared so you have to start again. Plus is it slow and laggy compared to before.

What browser are you using? With both Firefox and Safari I've never had an issue with the ajax hotmail interface (granted, I only use it once every few days because I primarily use gmail). Single clicking opens the message and clicking 'Back to messages' keeps the checkbox states.

Where do I complain? I hate it!

Why change something that doesn't need change and that isn't broken?

Probably making it more tablet friendly

As for the new look, i dont like it as much, but im not gonna have a fit over it. I mostly check my email through the gmail app anyways on my phone.

Really? Gmail changed the look? I haven't been on Gmail's web based server for a long time. I just go in through Pop3

Gmail old look is going away and the new look will be permanent. No more reverting back to the old look. Half the users hate the new look. Twitter, Facebook and forums are filling up with users demanding the old look back again. Googles own video had 54,818 dislikes about half red.

youtube.com/watch?v=vfW5e6jVsMs

The upgrade is more of a downgrade. They added frames, removed text from the icons, added auto-collapsing labels and removed all the old themes.

Why in god's name are they doing this?

Ehh the new look is fine. Nothing wrong with it. People are just too stuck in their way.

I don't understand why anybody is against the new look. It's clean and has so much customization compared to the old one.

What is it that you don't like?? It still has the themes...

I like the look personally, but find it to be very slow. If they could resolve that I'd be happy.

Gmail old look is going away and the new look will be permanent. No more reverting back to the old look. Half the users hate the new look. Twitter, Facebook and forums are filling up with users demanding the old look back again. Googles own video had 54,818 dislikes about half red.

youtube.com/watch?v=vfW5e6jVsMs

The upgrade is more of a downgrade. They added frames, removed text from the icons, added auto-collapsing labels and removed all the old themes.

Why in god's name are they doing this?

All this shows is now many folks use GMail as just another Webmail service - despite that it has supported offline usage since its creation. (Like Hotmail - and notably unlike Yahoo Mail - GMail/GoogleMail has supported both POP3 and IMAP4 from the beginning - and totally without extra charges from Google. Outlook has been my preferred GMail client since I have had GMail - originally back when Outlook lacked IMAP4, which is GMail's default. Outlook 2010 (Windows) and 2011 (OS X) both include IMAP4 auto-detection (going along with the existing POP3 auto-detection); therefore, there is no reason Outlook users can't use Outlook with GMail.)

Really? Gmail changed the look? I haven't been on Gmail's web based server for a long time. I just go in through Pop3

I'd used POP3 with GMail for as long as I'd used GMail; my switch to IMAP4 came when I upgraded from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010 x64, as Outlook 2010 includes autodetection for both mail protocols - and IMAP4 is GMail's default. Both are treated equally by Outlook (which had long been my POP3 client of choice since Outlook 97).

I'd used POP3 with GMail for as long as I'd used GMail; my switch to IMAP4 came when I upgraded from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010 x64, as Outlook 2010 includes autodetection for both mail protocols - and IMAP4 is GMail's default. Both are treated equally by Outlook (which had long been my POP3 client of choice since Outlook 97).

I use pop3 in combination of all downloaded mails getting put in my all mail folder. That way I have a copy of all my emails on Gmail, plus a copy on my computer which then also gets backed up to carbonite, a drive inside my computer and 2 backup driver outside my computers, one of which gets put in a safety deposit box.

I like it. I've been using it for a while now.

• 3 weeks later...

You are not being serious are you? There is nothing wrong with the new look. I like it much better than the old look. The new design is great. Something is seriously wrong with those 54,818 people.

You must be on drugs. Its horrendous. Its pathetic. It looks like a 10 year old dictated what it should look like. It now takes 4 times longer for me to do the same tasks. Kudos google!! A job horribly done!

I've been using it since, what? January? It's great, and I love it.

I found it a bit harder to use. Now I have to search for a button because the contrast is just so low on this version now. I do like the auto collapsing buttons though.

I have no problem with the new look. when changes roll out people ALWAYS complain, whether its better or worse, purely because its different.

I don't understand why anybody is against the new look. It's clean and has so much customization compared to the old one.

What is it that you don't like?? It still has the themes...

These same people will be against every other change, they're called haters.

And haters gonna hate.

These same people will be against every other change, they're called haters.

And haters gonna hate.

I still hate it. The old interface was much better. The icon buttons were nicer and the Frame they added is just horrible. I also hate the auto-hide labels. I miss the old interface, it was perfect and didn't need to be upgraded with this crap.