RCA/svideo to VGA? (or dvi/hdmi)

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this to (feel free to move it if needed, I apologize in advance), but I have a dilema:

I'm heading off to college soon and I can only bring my computer monitor to use as a functional tv for various reasons. My monitor only has four inputs on it: vga, dvi, hdmi, and 3.5mm aux. Being the nostalgia loving nerd that I am, I still use my old consoles (nes, n64, etc.) that don't support fancy new digital inputs. For now, they're hooked up to a tv which has rca inputs. Sure, I could emulate all of my old favorites (at the cost of rom glitches and non-native controllers), but my laptop can't quite handle Dark Cloud or Wind Waker, so I'm stuck finding an alternative.

Over the last few days, I've been looking for a method to hook up my old consoles to my monitor. The only things I can find are labelled as pc to tv converters that only convert vga to rca or component and I was wondering if any one of the nice folks here at neowin knows of a solution. Price isn't particularly an obstacle, but the goal is to find the point at which the lowest price coordinates with decent quality.

There's a slight problem, you will need a signal converter since an RCA-to-VGA requires signal modulation (or the TV/monitor has to be able to use 15kHz+vsync/hsync via different pins. I wouldn't count on it). If the console would output component (3 for video, 2 for audio) then it would work (for example the HAMA RCA-to-VGA adapter)

You might be able to find one of these; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_box in ebay or perhaps they're still sold somewhere.

There's a slight problem, you will need a signal converter since an RCA-to-VGA requires signal modulation (or the TV/monitor has to be able to use 15kHz+vsync/hsync via different pins. I wouldn't count on it). If the console would output component (3 for video, 2 for audio) then it would work (for example the HAMA RCA-to-VGA adapter)

You might be able to find one of these; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_box in ebay or perhaps they're still sold somewhere.

A signal converter is what I'm looking for then? Ah, thank you. I wonder if anyone here has experience with them or could suggest a decent model.