Photo

116 replies to this topic

#1 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 April 2012 - 15:51

We all know that Microsoft has completely removed "Start button" and "Start Menu" from Windows 8. Actually the new Start Screen has replaced the Start Menu and Start button has been replaced by a hidden square thumbnail which appears when you move your mouse cursor to bottom-left corner of screen.

We have shared a few freeware such as ViStart, Start8 and Classic Shell which help you in getting back Start button and Start Menu in Windows 8.

ViStart already provides a Windows 7 look-like Start Menu and Start button in Windows 8. Start8 provides a combination of new Start Screen and classic Start Menu in Windows 8. On the other hand, Classic Shell provides a classic Start Menu and its own custom Start button in Windows 8.

If you are using Classic Shell in Windows 8 to get Start Menu and Start button back but not happy with its Start Menu UI and Start button look, here is something interesting for you.

Did you know Classic Shell's Start Menu is highly customizable and supports 3rd party skins and you can change Start button image using its Settings?

Today we are going to release a free skin for Classic Shell which will provide Windows 7 look-like Start Menu and Start button in Windows 8.

Following is a preview of this skin in action:

Posted Image

To enjoy this skin, you just need to follow these simple steps:

1. First of all download and install Classic Shell if you are not using it:
Download Classic Shell
2. After installing Classic Shell, download our Windows 7 look-like skin for it:
Download Windows 7 Skin for Classic Shell
3. Once you download the above mentioned ZIP, extract it and you'll get following 3 files in it:
  • SevenVG.skin
  • Start_Button.png
  • Settings.xml
4. Copy SevenVG.skin and Start_Button.png files to following folder:

C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins

Here C: is the system drive where Windows is installed in your system. If you installed Windows in any other drive, replace C: with the correct drive according to your system.

5. Now open Classic Start Menu Settings window. You can open it either by going to "All Programs -> Classic Shell -> Start Menu Settings" option or by right-clicking on Start button and selecting "Settings" option.

Posted Image

6. Now go to "Skin" tab and select "SevenVG" skin from the list.
7. Now the important part! Click on "Backup" button given just before OK button. It'll show a drop-down list, select "Load from XML File..." option.

Posted Image

It'll open a browse dialog box, select "Settings.xml" file in downloaded ZIP file and click on OK button.
8. That's it. You might need to log off your system or close and restart Classic Shell Start Menu to enjoy Windows 7 look-like Start Menu and Start button in Windows 8.

NOTE: This skin will also work in Windows Vista and Windows 7.
NOTE 2: You can add/remove items to Start Menu using "Special Items" and "Customize Start Menu" tabs in Start Menu Settings window

Source: AskVG.com - Tweaking with Vishal

This is a customization post for those who use Classic Shell to help them attain the Windows 7 Start Menu look more easily, so kindly don't say "stick with Windows 7" or "you can't handle change" or start the flamewars again.

#2 aristofeles

aristofeles

Neowinian

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:16

Still woking on RC.
I may end up using Windows 8 thanks to this skin.

#3 Kelxin

Kelxin

Neowinian

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:33

Same.

#4 OP UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Posted 30 June 2012 - 16:55

Just released: Classic Shell 3.5.1. Now with an option to boot to the desktop as early as possible (giving a slap to Metro screen) on every boot. :woot: :laugh: :D :rofl:

#5 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 30 June 2012 - 17:27

Do the folder / window links on the right of the start menu work ?

Last time I installed one of these they were just for show, and I mainly use the start menu to access explorer in one way or another / right click Computer for device manager etc

#6 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 30 June 2012 - 17:30

Does this come up if you press the Windows Key? I don't think I've physically clicked on the start button in years.

#7 OP UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Posted 30 June 2012 - 17:48

Do the folder / window links on the right of the start menu work ?

Last time I installed one of these they were just for show, and I mainly use the start menu to access explorer in one way or another / right click Computer for device manager etc

Maybe you tried ViStart. Right click and everything works as expected in the Classic Shell menu's right column. You can customize all those links and put your own folders there.

Does this come up if you press the Windows Key? I don't think I've physically clicked on the start button in years.

Yes it comes up when you press Win key and with Shift+Win key you can switch to Metro. Or you can customize what key opens what and what click opens what. Super-customizable.

#8 simrat

simrat

pooonjabi!

• Phone: Nokia 603 Symbian belle fp2, Xperia SL 4.1.2

Posted 30 June 2012 - 18:01

I liked all improvements they made in Windows 8, but only thing bugging me was lack of start menu, Now i can use happily Windows 8.

#9 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 30 June 2012 - 18:07

This is the best solution yet to booting to desktop rather than metro. Great work!

#10 OP UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Posted 30 June 2012 - 18:20

This is the best solution yet to booting to desktop rather than metro. Great work!

Thanks!! All credit to Ivo Beltchev, he's the developer. Still I personally would be using combination of XP and W7 because of removed features in W8 I can't tolerate. :(

#11 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 30 June 2012 - 18:22

Same for me. Whilst this solution is great with regards to metro, it doesn't overcome my other really major gripe... the apparent removal of Aero.

#12 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 30 June 2012 - 18:33

Still I personally would be using combination of XP and W7 because of removed features in W8 I can't tolerate. :(

Just out of curiosity which features can't you tolerate being without? And not the hundreds listed in your blog, which features can't you live without?

#13 OP UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Posted 30 June 2012 - 18:56

Just out of curiosity which features can't you tolerate being without? And not the hundreds listed in your blog, which features can't you live without?

- Status bar dumbed down in Explorer
- Automatic file association ability removed (must go to Default Programs to set them)
- Start screen doesn't search locations outside of Libraries, Start menu searched all indexed locations (neither does Classic Shell at the moment-it's hard to add Windows Search integration with the current design)
- Windows metrics and appearance settings gone
- Can't stand new Task Manager - it doesn't even remember last tab, plus many other issues, (won't link to link on my blog or else I will be accused of shameless self promotion of my blog) - I don't want any Metro apps appearing in my task manager
- Aero Glass of course. (Hopefully the Windows 7 skin+UxStyle will work, haven't tried that)

#14 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 30 June 2012 - 19:01

- Automatic file association ability removed (must go to Default Programs to set them)

Isn't this a good thing for vendors?

#15 OP UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Posted 30 June 2012 - 19:05

No agruments. I'm out of here. I don't want to fight again. :)