Classic Shell Skin to Get Windows 7 Lookalike Start Menu & Button

We all know that Microsoft has completely removed "Start button" and "Start Menu" from Windows 8. Actually the new Start Screen has replaced the Start Menu and Start button has been replaced by a hidden square thumbnail which appears when you move your mouse cursor to bottom-left corner of screen.

We have shared a few freeware such as ViStart, Start8 and Classic Shell which help you in getting back Start button and Start Menu in Windows 8.

ViStart already provides a Windows 7 look-like Start Menu and Start button in Windows 8. Start8 provides a combination of new Start Screen and classic Start Menu in Windows 8. On the other hand, Classic Shell provides a classic Start Menu and its own custom Start button in Windows 8.

If you are using Classic Shell in Windows 8 to get Start Menu and Start button back but not happy with its Start Menu UI and Start button look, here is something interesting for you.

Did you know Classic Shell's Start Menu is highly customizable and supports 3rd party skins and you can change Start button image using its Settings?

Today we are going to release a free skin for Classic Shell which will provide Windows 7 look-like Start Menu and Start button in Windows 8.

Following is a preview of this skin in action:

SevenVG_Skin_for_Classic_Shell.png

To enjoy this skin, you just need to follow these simple steps:

1. First of all download and install Classic Shell if you are not using it:

Download Classic Shell

2. After installing Classic Shell, download our Windows 7 look-like skin for it:

Download Windows 7 Skin for Classic Shell

3. Once you download the above mentioned ZIP, extract it and you'll get following 3 files in it:

• SevenVG.skin
  • Start_Button.png
  • Settings.xml

4. Copy SevenVG.skin and Start_Button.png files to following folder:

C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins

Here C: is the system drive where Windows is installed in your system. If you installed Windows in any other drive, replace C: with the correct drive according to your system.

5. Now open Classic Start Menu Settings window. You can open it either by going to "All Programs -> Classic Shell -> Start Menu Settings" option or by right-clicking on Start button and selecting "Settings" option.

Start_Button_Settings_Windows_8.png

6. Now go to "Skin" tab and select "SevenVG" skin from the list.

7. Now the important part! Click on "Backup" button given just before OK button. It'll show a drop-down list, select "Load from XML File..." option.

Apply_Windows_7_Skin_Classic_Shell_Start_Menu.png

It'll open a browse dialog box, select "Settings.xml" file in downloaded ZIP file and click on OK button.

8. That's it. You might need to log off your system or close and restart Classic Shell Start Menu to enjoy Windows 7 look-like Start Menu and Start button in Windows 8.

NOTE: This skin will also work in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

NOTE 2: You can add/remove items to Start Menu using "Special Items" and "Customize Start Menu" tabs in Start Menu Settings window

Source: AskVG.com - Tweaking with Vishal

This is a customization post for those who use Classic Shell to help them attain the Windows 7 Start Menu look more easily, so kindly don't say "stick with Windows 7" or "you can't handle change" or start the flamewars again.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just released: Classic Shell 3.5.1. Now with an option to boot to the desktop as early as possible (giving a slap to Metro screen) on every boot. :woot: :laugh: :D :rofl:

• Like 2

Do the folder / window links on the right of the start menu work ?

Last time I installed one of these they were just for show, and I mainly use the start menu to access explorer in one way or another / right click Computer for device manager etc

Does this come up if you press the Windows Key? I don't think I've physically clicked on the start button in years.

Do the folder / window links on the right of the start menu work ?

Last time I installed one of these they were just for show, and I mainly use the start menu to access explorer in one way or another / right click Computer for device manager etc

Maybe you tried ViStart. Right click and everything works as expected in the Classic Shell menu's right column. You can customize all those links and put your own folders there.

Does this come up if you press the Windows Key? I don't think I've physically clicked on the start button in years.

Yes it comes up when you press Win key and with Shift+Win key you can switch to Metro. Or you can customize what key opens what and what click opens what. Super-customizable.

• Like 2

I liked all improvements they made in Windows 8, but only thing bugging me was lack of start menu, Now i can use happily Windows 8.

This is the best solution yet to booting to desktop rather than metro. Great work!

This is the best solution yet to booting to desktop rather than metro. Great work!

Thanks!! All credit to Ivo Beltchev, he's the developer. Still I personally would be using combination of XP and W7 because of removed features in W8 I can't tolerate. :(

Same for me. Whilst this solution is great with regards to metro, it doesn't overcome my other really major gripe... the apparent removal of Aero.

Still I personally would be using combination of XP and W7 because of removed features in W8 I can't tolerate. :(

Just out of curiosity which features can't you tolerate being without? And not the hundreds listed in your blog, which features can't you live without?

Just out of curiosity which features can't you tolerate being without? And not the hundreds listed in your blog, which features can't you live without?

- Status bar dumbed down in Explorer

- Automatic file association ability removed (must go to Default Programs to set them)

- Start screen doesn't search locations outside of Libraries, Start menu searched all indexed locations (neither does Classic Shell at the moment-it's hard to add Windows Search integration with the current design)

- Windows metrics and appearance settings gone

- Can't stand new Task Manager - it doesn't even remember last tab, plus many other issues, (won't link to link on my blog or else I will be accused of shameless self promotion of my blog) - I don't want any Metro apps appearing in my task manager

- Aero Glass of course. (Hopefully the Windows 7 skin+UxStyle will work, haven't tried that)

- Automatic file association ability removed (must go to Default Programs to set them)

Isn't this a good thing for vendors?

I can't speak for xpclient here, but for me their neutering of media centre (making it a payware addon) is a massive no-no for me, it's the only software that really interfaces well with an IR-receiver, remote, and a massive library of video files.

I have just found out,there is a new version of Classic Shell just been released today. Classic Shell 3.5.1 see here-http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/forums/forum/1049755/topic/5315813

This version of Classic Shell is also for all versions of Windows 8,including Windows 8 Release Preview,as well as for Windows 7 and Windows Vista. This version,Classic Shell 3.5.1 now boots straight to the desktop in Windows 8,by passing the Metro start screen.

Before in the old version of Classic Shell,you had to click the desktop tile to get to the desktop on Windows 8. Not anymore. Now in this new and improved version of Classic Shell,you are now taken straight to the desktop on every start up on Windows 8.Instead of the Metro start screen,which is what most users like me want.

And another thing I have noticed is that now when you click "search for files and folders" in the Classic Shell start menu. You are now taken to Windows Explorer in Windows 8,just like on Windows 7.Not to the Metro start menu,like you was in the previous version of Classic Shell.Which I did not really like.

So although before,if you had Classic Shell installed on Windows 8, you hardly dealt with the Metro theme and Metro start menu. Now in the new updated version of Classic Shell 3.5.1,you don't deal with it at all. Now all of your work is done from the Classic Shell start menu,which is how it should be.

So time to upgrade to the new version of Classic Shell. Andrea Borman.

• Like 3

I can't speak for xpclient here, but for me their neutering of media centre (making it a payware addon) is a massive no-no for me, it's the only software that really interfaces well with an IR-receiver, remote, and a massive library of video files.

Isn't Windows 8 supposed to be cheaper as a result of removing it? If the cost of Media Center is the same as the cost removed from Windows will it bother you much?

Andrea Borman.

Out of curiosity, why do you end every single post with that, and put it in your signature block?

• Like 2

Isn't Windows 8 supposed to be cheaper as a result of removing it? If the cost of Media Center is the same as the cost removed from Windows will it bother you much?

Yes it will because it's extra hassle that I don't need.

Proud to present my Windows XP start menu and desktop on Windows 8 RP.Thanks to Classic Shell and I have even got the Windows XP network icon thanks to network activity Icon for Windows 7 here-http://www.itsamples.com/network-activity-indicator.html

Which also works on Windows 8,as well as on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

It seems we are winning the battle to see less of the Metro theme.as now with this new version of Classic Shell,we can boot straight to the desktop in Windows 8 RP. No more hacks. Andrea Borman.

post-417173-0-02825900-1341096577_thumb.

Proud to present my Windows XP start menu......

......It seems we are winning the battle

Proud? It's a Start Menu, a place for accessing shortcuts, and what battle? Theres a battle? If you don't like something don't use it. Simple.

Yes it will because it's extra hassle that I don't need.

Fair enough.

Proud? It's a Start Menu, a place for accessing shortcuts, and what battle? Theres a battle? If you don't like something don't use it. Simple.

Fair enough.

Well from what I read on the web,Microsoft would prefer us to use the Metro start menu on Windows 8. And I have been reading some depressing stories, that start menu software like Classic Shell,Start Menu 7 and others. That bring back the start button and Windows 7 and Windows XP start menu,may not work in the RTM version.

But that does not mean that it is true. They said that about Windows 8 Release Preview(RP for short.) But Classic Shell and all of the other start menu software is working. And we have our Windows XP and Windows 7 start button and start menu on Windows 8 RP.

And I think Classic Shell is the first start menu software that lets you boot straight to the desktop,by passing the Metro start screen. Well you only see the start screen for one second,if that. Then you go straight to the desktop without having to click the desktop tile.

Before you had to do a file edit and that only worked in Windows 8 CP. Andrea Borman.

If you don't like something don't use it. Simple.

bull****. If you don't like something, modify it until you do. Is that not one of the great things about PC's, how customisable they are?

bull****. If you don't like something, modify it until you do. Is that not one of the great things about PC's, how customisable they are?

At what price? I'm kinda wondering what her boot time is with all that junk running, especially on old netbook hardware.