Photo

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#16 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 30 June 2012 - 21:02

Just out of curiosity which features can't you tolerate being without? And not the hundreds listed in your blog, which features can't you live without?

I can't speak for xpclient here, but for me their neutering of media centre (making it a payware addon) is a massive no-no for me, it's the only software that really interfaces well with an IR-receiver, remote, and a massive library of video files.

#17 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 30 June 2012 - 22:04

I have just found out,there is a new version of Classic Shell just been released today. Classic Shell 3.5.1 see here-http://sourceforge.n...5/topic/5315813

This version of Classic Shell is also for all versions of Windows 8,including Windows 8 Release Preview,as well as for Windows 7 and Windows Vista. This version,Classic Shell 3.5.1 now boots straight to the desktop in Windows 8,by passing the Metro start screen.

Before in the old version of Classic Shell,you had to click the desktop tile to get to the desktop on Windows 8. Not anymore. Now in this new and improved version of Classic Shell,you are now taken straight to the desktop on every start up on Windows 8.Instead of the Metro start screen,which is what most users like me want.

And another thing I have noticed is that now when you click "search for files and folders" in the Classic Shell start menu. You are now taken to Windows Explorer in Windows 8,just like on Windows 7.Not to the Metro start menu,like you was in the previous version of Classic Shell.Which I did not really like.

So although before,if you had Classic Shell installed on Windows 8, you hardly dealt with the Metro theme and Metro start menu. Now in the new updated version of Classic Shell 3.5.1,you don't deal with it at all. Now all of your work is done from the Classic Shell start menu,which is how it should be.

So time to upgrade to the new version of Classic Shell. Andrea Borman.

#18 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 30 June 2012 - 22:17

I can't speak for xpclient here, but for me their neutering of media centre (making it a payware addon) is a massive no-no for me, it's the only software that really interfaces well with an IR-receiver, remote, and a massive library of video files.

Isn't Windows 8 supposed to be cheaper as a result of removing it? If the cost of Media Center is the same as the cost removed from Windows will it bother you much?

Andrea Borman.

Out of curiosity, why do you end every single post with that, and put it in your signature block?

#19 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 30 June 2012 - 22:34

Isn't Windows 8 supposed to be cheaper as a result of removing it? If the cost of Media Center is the same as the cost removed from Windows will it bother you much?

Yes it will because it's extra hassle that I don't need.

#20 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 30 June 2012 - 22:49

Proud to present my Windows XP start menu and desktop on Windows 8 RP.Thanks to Classic Shell and I have even got the Windows XP network icon thanks to network activity Icon for Windows 7 here-http://www.itsamples...-indicator.html

Which also works on Windows 8,as well as on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

It seems we are winning the battle to see less of the Metro theme.as now with this new version of Classic Shell,we can boot straight to the desktop in Windows 8 RP. No more hacks. Andrea Borman.

Windows XP start menu Windows 8..JPG

#21 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

Posted 30 June 2012 - 22:53

Proud to present my Windows XP start menu......
......It seems we are winning the battle

Proud? It's a Start Menu, a place for accessing shortcuts, and what battle? Theres a battle? If you don't like something don't use it. Simple.

Yes it will because it's extra hassle that I don't need.

Fair enough.

#22 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 30 June 2012 - 23:04

Proud? It's a Start Menu, a place for accessing shortcuts, and what battle? Theres a battle? If you don't like something don't use it. Simple.
Fair enough.

Well from what I read on the web,Microsoft would prefer us to use the Metro start menu on Windows 8. And I have been reading some depressing stories, that start menu software like Classic Shell,Start Menu 7 and others. That bring back the start button and Windows 7 and Windows XP start menu,may not work in the RTM version.

But that does not mean that it is true. They said that about Windows 8 Release Preview(RP for short.) But Classic Shell and all of the other start menu software is working. And we have our Windows XP and Windows 7 start button and start menu on Windows 8 RP.

And I think Classic Shell is the first start menu software that lets you boot straight to the desktop,by passing the Metro start screen. Well you only see the start screen for one second,if that. Then you go straight to the desktop without having to click the desktop tile.

Before you had to do a file edit and that only worked in Windows 8 CP. Andrea Borman.

#23 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 30 June 2012 - 23:06

I have even got the Windows XP network icon thanks to network activity Icon for Windows 7 here-http://www.itsamples...-indicator.html

Check out NetSpeedMonitor

#24 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 30 June 2012 - 23:12

If you don't like something don't use it. Simple.

bull****. If you don't like something, modify it until you do. Is that not one of the great things about PC's, how customisable they are?

#25 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 30 June 2012 - 23:20

bull****. If you don't like something, modify it until you do. Is that not one of the great things about PC's, how customisable they are?

At what price? I'm kinda wondering what her boot time is with all that junk running, especially on old netbook hardware.

#26 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

Posted 30 June 2012 - 23:30

I didn't say "Don't modify it" I said don't use it. The people here aren't using the Start Screen are they? They found an alternative.

At what price? I'm kinda wondering what her boot time is with all that junk running.

I find it interesting that someone so against the startscreen has a desk full of icons....

#27 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:13

So now Classic Shell boots directly to the desktop in the new and improved version. Also the other changes are that when you search your folders on Windows 8,you are now taken to Windows Explorer,instead of the Metro start menu.

But also you can now add and create your own custom start button on Windows 7 in the new version of Classic Shell. However,you cannot change the start button on Windows Vista.Because the new version Classic Shell does not support this.Or at least not yet.

But this is the first time we have ever been able to change the start button on Windows 7. There are several tutorials on the web about changing the start button on Windows 7,Windows Vista and Windows XP. But it involves editing the Windows Shell files and that's just too risky,as you can break Windows.

So Classic Shell is the safe way to do it. I am not sure if Classic shell really changes the start button on Windows 7.Or just places it's own custom button or one that you have chosen on top of the Windows 7 start button. To make it look like the start button has changed.

The only other start menu software I know of that changes the start button on Windows 7 is Start Menu 7. But it just looks like they have placed a second start button over the Windows 7 start button. So it's not very well done.

The other start menu software that changes the start button is Vi start.Which gives you the Windows 7 start button and start menu on Windows XP. And Vi Start also works on Windows 8 and so does Start Menu 7.

But neither of the two start menu software's are as customisable as Classic Shell. And you can see in my picture of my Windows XP start button on Windows 7. That Classic Shell does change the start button on Windows 7. As well as giving you a start button and Windows XP and Windows 7 start menu on Windows 7.

And in this version of Classic Shell,you now have all of the functions of the Windows 7 and Windows XP start menu on Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

Windows XP start button on Windows 7..JPG

#28 thekim

thekim

Neowinian

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:26

This looks very ugly, AndreaBorman

#29 ThisIsStockerHD

ThisIsStockerHD

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:31

This looks very ugly, AndreaBorman

A massive true dat, I can understand you make like it like that Andrea, but I wouldn't be able to look at that. Plus, Im one of the minority that actually likes the start screen.

#30 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:37

Andrea Borman, Indeed that looks hideous Andrea Borman, Andrea Borman Andrea Borman.

Andrea Borman.