Photo

116 replies to this topic

#46 +PmRd

PmRd

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone 8 (Nokia 1020)

Posted 01 July 2012 - 13:37

I hope some of you people stay far away from design and tech jobs..

#47 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 July 2012 - 13:42

I hope some of you people stay far away from design and tech jobs..

I could say the same about the people who thought Metro was a good idea.

#48 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 01 July 2012 - 13:49

I could say the same about the people who thought Metro was a good idea.

Give it till Windows 9, and we'll forget all about the point and click OS days.

#49 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 July 2012 - 13:52

No 'we' won't. You might.

#50 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 01 July 2012 - 14:37

I'd rather people spent time trying to improve Metro Start than trying to recreate the past. Imagine Metro Start with animated app rollovers and launching, super-tiles (i.e. twice the current size), mini-tiles (ala Windows Phone 8), live previews of websites, dynamic backgrounds (similar to PolarClock), keeping the taskbar constantly visible, allowing desktop apps to appear on top of the start screen, etc. I'm not saying all of those ideas are particularly good but the potential is huge. The most obvious fix to address some of the usability issues with Metro multitasking would be to keep it visible at all times.

If you look back to the XP modding scene there were a lot of slight variations on Luna it was dominated by people trying to do new things. The modding scene today is dramatically less innovative and has actually regressed in many respects.

#51 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 01 July 2012 - 20:17

But don't forget Windows Vista. Classic Shell also works on Windows Vista.

As you know there is the Classic Windows 98 start menu on Windows Vista but the Microsoft one has limited functions. As you can see in my picture. But the Classic Shell Classic Start menu is much more customisable than Microsoft's one.

In the Classic Shell Classic start menu you can enable the search bar and change the folder names. And also you have the Windows XP start menu,which looks nice on Windows Vista. And also a classic version of the Windows Vista and Windows 7 start menu,with the expanding programs menu.

And Classic Shell also has Classic Explorer which puts classic toolbar buttons in Windows Explorer. Classic Shell also has Classic IE9 which I never installed and I have never upgraded to IE9 on Windows Vista or Windows 7. I have got IE8 and I have uninstalled IE10 from Windows 8.

Pictures,Microsoft Classic start menu on Windows Vista. As you can see it is not very customisable and has limited functions. Other pictures,Classic Shell Classic start menu and Windows XP start menu on Windows Vista.Andrea Borman.

Microsoft Classic Start menu on Vista..jpg

Classic Shell on Windows Vista..jpg

Classic Shell Classic start menu on Vista..jpg

#52 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 01 July 2012 - 20:32

And Classic Shell also has Classic Explorer which puts classic toolbar buttons in Windows Explorer. Classic Shell also has Classic IE9 which I never install and I have never upgraded to IE9 on Windows Vista or Windows 7. I have got IE8 and I have uninstalled IE10 from Windows 8.

No. You don't. You don't just simply install IE8 to Windows 8 without breaking things. And for the love of God, get off IE8!

No 'we' won't. You might.

Whether you like it or not, computing is moving past the point and click OS. The future is all about interactive and dynamic input.

#53 thekim

thekim

Neowinian

Posted 01 July 2012 - 20:33

this is just trolling.

#54 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 01 July 2012 - 20:55

No. You don't. You don't just simply install IE8 to Windows 8 without breaking things. And for the love of God, get off IE8!

Whether you like it or not, computing is moving past the point and click OS. The future is all about interactive and dynamic input.

No,I don't have IE9 on my Windows 7 or on Windows Vista. I have IE8 on both my Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

IE9 is horrible. It is slow,I don't like the toolbar and has a confusing download manager. So I will never install IE9. And I certainly won't install IE10 if they make it for Windows Vista and Windows 7.

On Windows 8 they have IE10 which is exactly like IE9 which I have uninstalled by deleting the program file on C drive.

But I have IE engine based browsers on Windows 8 like I do on my other versions of Windows.I have Advanced browser and Ace Explorer which are Internet Explorer shells. And when I go on the browser sniffer sites on Advanced browser on Windows 8,it says I am running IE8.

Which suggests that IE8 or the source code of IE8 is still on Windows 8,like it is on Windows 7. But you just cannot install IE8 on Windows 8. As Windows won't let you download it.

On Windows XP I had IE6 but I had to upgrade when IE6 stopped working and Advanced browser and my other IE based web browser would not work either. As they ran off of some of the html code of IE6. This often happens on IE6 when you visit some websites and often they crash IE6. Which does not happen on IE8. So I upgraded to IE8 . And I now have IE8 on my Windows XP.

Windows Vista comes with IE7 as my Windows Vista did but forget IE7 that is worse than IE6. Andrea Borman.

#55 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 01 July 2012 - 21:03

You get more desktop icons in every screenshot, I give it another 10 posts before your desktop is gone. Also what's with the Rainbow Vomit colour scheme? Are you partially colour-blind?

#56 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 01 July 2012 - 21:03

But I have IE engine based browsers on Windows 8 like I do on my other versions of Windows.I have Advanced browser and Ace Explorer which are Internet Explorer shells. And when I go on the browser sniffer sites on Advanced browser on Windows 8,it says I am running IE8.

Which suggests that IE8 or the source code of IE8 is still on Windows 8,like it is on Windows 7. But you just cannot install IE8 on Windows 8. As Windows won't let you download it.

No, on Windows 8 it is the IE10 rendering engine you are using. However, it's in IE8 compatibility mode. The developer of Advanced Browser and Ace Explorer have to set a key in the registry for it to take it out of compatibility mode. I think it's IE7 compatibility mode by default, at least on Windows 7.

#57 OP UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 July 2012 - 21:10

No offense but that is the most cluttered desktop and ugly menu and window colors I have seen in years. What is the point of making the beautiful Aero look like Windows classic?

#58 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 01 July 2012 - 21:19

Makay wrote-
You get more desktop icons in every screenshot, I give it another 10 posts before your desktop is gone. Also what's with the Rainbow Vomit colour scheme? Are you partially colour-blind?

What do you mean my desktop will be gone?
Well You can always set your desktop icons to small size. On Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8,there is large icons,medium which most people use and small. On Windows XP there is just Medium icons and small icons. And medium icons is the default setting.

No, on Windows 8 it is the IE10 rendering engine you are using. However, it's in IE8 compatibility mode. The developer of Advanced Browser and Ace Explorer have to set a key in the registry for it to take it out of compatibility mode. I think it's IE7 compatibility mode by default, at least on Windows 7.

Well actually when I go onto some browser sniffer sites in Advanced browser,Ace Explorer and other IE based web browsers,some say I am running IE7 on Windows 8. And also You Tube tells me that.

But when I look on the registry in Windows 8 it says the version of Internet Explorer is IE9 not IE10.And it also says IE8. So that means that IE10 and IE9 are the same version. That is IE10 is IE9.

So IE8 is still in Windows 8. Because if you have IE9 installed on Windows Vista and Windows 7 and open Advanced browser. The browser sniffer sites say IE9.
Andrea Borman.

#59 DJGM

DJGM

Mancunian

Posted 01 July 2012 - 21:22

Andrea ... if you have an AMD or Nvidia graphics card/chip on your computer, instead of trying make the Basic theme look
like a hash-up of the old Windows Classic theme from XP, you should re-enable the full Aero UI. It'll take full advantage of
the graphics card/chip, and takes a fair amount of strain off the main processor ... especially on a netbook!

#60 Cøi

Cøi

The Aviator

Posted 01 July 2012 - 21:26

On Windows 8 they have IE10 which is exactly like IE9 which I have uninstalled by deleting the program file on C drive.

But when I look on the registry in Windows 8 it says the version of Internet Explorer is IE9 not IE10.And it also says IE8. So that means that IE10 and IE9 are the same version. That is IE10 is IE9.

:cry: