Windows 7 Network Icon in Tray area.

Hello

I am on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. The Network icon use to show in tray area fine but ever since I uninstalled something it has disappeared. In systems Icon on and off the Network Icon option is grayed out and not working. I tried Google and did various things but it comes and goes with every reboot. How do I get it back?

Please help.

post-52027-0-02537200-1335639694_thumb.j

When you go to the Network and Sharing Center, what comes up? It's almost as if your adapter is disabled or something, or a driver was uninstalled.

Yes it's even off after the reboot. Yes I did SFC/SCANNOW everything seems to be ok!! But no icon. Yes it's like telling the icon not to appear. However my internet is working fine and everything else is fine.

Did you create a system restore point before installing Tune-up utilities? Is it an option to do a simple system restore?

Why do people still use these Tune Up apps. They are always riddled with issues breaking your OS.

Guys ok I got it back. What I did is I changed speed duplex on the adapter, that got the icon to appear than I went to turn system icon on and off and turned the action center icon off and than turned the network icon off and than back on again and then rebooted. And after three reboots it's still on. So it's back :)

Here's my two cents...

Have you checked whether the networking icon has been disabled in the local Group Policy?

Type "gpedit.msc" in the Start Menu search/run box.

In User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Start Menus and Taskbar, check the following setting: Remove the networking icon

Good Luck

In regedit browse to this key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify

Delete both IconStreams & PastIconsStream. Then kill explorer in task manager and File -> Run "explorer.exe". This should reset the tray icons to default settings.

I think at this point you should download Tuneup utilities again. It's been so long since I've used that program (XP days) but there should be an option to revert all changes back to default. Do this and then uninstall the application.

JJ it worked. Came on after reboot. I hope thats the case each time, otherwise I don't want to do a format over a icon. The problem found by the tool you gave me a link for was icon cache and it repaired it.

I think at this point you should download Tuneup utilities again. It's been so long since I've used that program (XP days) but there should be an option to revert all changes back to default. Do this and then uninstall the application.

I was going to suggest the same if the fixit didn't work but I doubt he will be able to revert settings because uninstalling an app usually wipes all preferences.

Instead you should go to the menu where TuneUp detects problems with Windows and try seeing if applying fixes within TuneUp solves your problem.