Windows 8 on the desktop and touch

*edit* the topic title should be Windows 8 on the desktop and touch, doh.

With the Windows 8 RC just days away I am gearing up to install it for the first time. It occured to me there's a lot of touch functionality in Win8 that most desktop users just won't be able to use, so what's the most elegant solution to this?

We know that Microsoft manufactures mice, keyboards, gamepads, all sorts of peripherals for Windows systems... but what about touchpads and the the like designed for Windows 8? How are they going to fill this gap in their product lineup? They make mice with touch-sensitive surfaces, but I'm having a hard time imagining myself using one of those right now.

I'd like to still use a nice gaming mouse of my choice and still have a companion touch device for Windows 8 apps and games that use touch input. What is the best touch solution for desktop users who intend to install Windows 8 but doesn't want to be "limited" to only a mouse?

the Apple magic trackpad?

Wacom's new Intuos5?

What are your suggestions?

Unless you have a touchscreen device such as a tablet then you will be limited to using your mouse and keyboard on a traditional desktop with W8. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some physical USB type of a product for your fingers to simulate your finger movements on the screen for desktops and laptops if your that desperate to have to want and touch your screen instead of using a mouse. I'm not familiar with the trackpad or Intuos5.

Ohh I had no idea that it was a direct analogue to the screen like an iPad, etc., yeah that does put a wrench in things

I think most of the current 'touch' mice etc are still using that input method in the backend (souped up touchpads), but I am curious how much could be replicated on the MS Touch mouse for example (swipe to close, scroll etc). Clicking directly on the screen will always be different than navigation on something you aren't looking at. And lets be honest, trackpads are crap across the board, the more 'smart' they make them the more annoying they've become.

I think we are really going to be waiting for touch monitors whenever they decide to hit the market at a reasonable price point since MS's conception seems to be aimed at its use for specific actions when more accurate control systems are present.

Anything in the Metro UI can be used with Mouse and Keyboard

True but lets stay on topic. (Since many of us find its not always in a graceful or ergonomic way (large button sizes, long 'travel' motions, scroll acceleration, field of view, etc)). Certain actions will always favor one control over another. Like drawing circles.

Ugh. The thought of desktops with touch monitors makes me want to regurgitate the burger i had for lunch. Who in their right mind wants to sit for extended hours at work with their arms out in front of them? Unless you have a big-ass monitor right in front of your face ? la Minority Report, it's going to be uncomfortable as hell. I personally don't see that one going anywhere.

Also for true touch functionality for desktop monitors it has to have 10 point multitouch. Most cheap touch screens for desktops are 2 point optical screens. most of the ones that are fully compatible are $1000 plus right now.

Ugh. The thought of desktops with touch monitors makes me want to regurgitate the burger i had for lunch. Who in their right mind wants to sit for extended hours at work with their arms out in front of them? Unless you have a big-ass monitor right in front of your face ? la Minority Report, it's going to be uncomfortable as hell. I personally don't see that one going anywhere.

While a common complaint, I don't think MS see it as something you will 'hover' over like we do with conventional devices, but merely have it supplement our normal activity. We obviously won't be using the on-screen keyboard etc. But the ability to fingerpaint or play casual games does have appeal.