Evolution Debate Soon Will Be History

And what about the "missing link" that no-one has addressed as of yet? We share a lot of genetic material with the "ape" species. Where is the missing DNA- where did it go?

That seems a little silly. Sure you should believe something that's proven fact but not believing in something that isn't? The first problem with that is that statement discredits scientific theories (such as evolution, gravity etc) and secondly that doesn't leave any room for postulating new theories.

As with anything you should leave room for doubt, not doing so (regardless of the amount of evidence) is foolish.

There's a difference between not believing in something and believing something is possible or probable. Believing in something with certainty, if it hasn't been proven, is foolish, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't attempt to prove it or fervently seek answers; further, it doesn't mean one shouldn't think it is probable. My statement discrediting scientific theories shouldn't be seen as a problem. If gravity and evolution haven't been proven as fact, believing in them with certainty is the problem. If there is much evidence to suggest something probably exists, believing it's probable makes sense, believing it's unlikely seems foolish, and believing it's definitely true is foolish.

Adam and eve were the first on this planet, dinosaur bones were the toys they were given to play with but they give up cus there dog kept running off and burying them all over the place!

No, no no no no no. It was Adam and Steve. Then Eve moved in and wrecked everything!

If we evolved from monkeys then why do we still have monkeys? :rofl:

Because only SOME of the monkeys evolved. There are different types of lizards (for example) and there are different types of apes. We are a type of ape.

And what about the "missing link" that no-one has addressed as of yet? We share a lot of genetic material with the "ape" species. Where is the missing DNA- where did it go?

There IS no missing link. It's a fallacy invented by creationists in a lame attempt to discredit reality.

I honestly believe humans at some point or another mated with extraterrestrials. Too much Ancient Aliens maybe?

There's a difference between not believing in something and believing something is possible or probable. It's foolish to believe something with certainty, if it hasn't been proven, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't attempt to prove it or seek answers, and it doesn't mean one shouldn't think it is probable. That statement discrediting scientific theories shouldn't be seen as a problem. If gravity and evolution haven't been proven as fact, believing in them with certainty is the problem; however, considering the evidence for both of those theories, believing that they're probable makes sense. If there is much evidence to suggest something probably exists, believing it's unlikely to exist seems foolish, as does believing it definitely exists.

Just FYI, evolution nor gravity are fact.

Despite them both having overwhelming amounts of evidence and not likely to be disproved any time soon they cannot be called fact because they don't meet the criteria of 'fact'. However many scientists usually do call them 'fact' because 'theory' to those who don't follow science much insinuates that there is lots of doubt and that the theory hasn't really been thought out. For this reason they tend to call it 'fact' so that it's easier for non-science folk to understand the abundance of evidence and likelihood of its validity.

You mentioned you weren't sure if it was fact or not so I was just letting you know. :p

Evolution is both a theory and a fact, just like gravity is both a theory and a fact. It's a fact that things that are dropped fall. That there is an attractive force between particles of matter. There exists a theory that explains why and how. Likewise, it is a fact that evolution occurs - it occurs on small scales all the time. Just take a look at the flu virus. But there exists a theory that explains why and how.

Evolution exists. Fact. Why/how? The theory: natural selection, survival of the fittest.

By that logic, air is not a fact either, for you cannot see and prove it, but only breath it because scientists say so...

So I say your logic is just as fallable as the logic used by said scientists who theorized gravity and evolution. :p

The others beat me to it :p

Theory just states how and why. It is still a fact. Sure, gravity might not behave the same in another universe/situation (ie black hole), but that doesn't change the fact that Gravity is real and works how we theorise it to. Same with Evolution, it is fact. We can see it right now. The Theory of Evolution is just the story of why and possibly how. We don't have all the answers, but we have enough to know that it exist and happens/ed.

battlestar-galactica-tricia-helfer-as-cylon-number-six.jpg

:shiftyninja:

evolution debates will be over when religious people find a way around showing how creation actually meant evolution

Despite them both having overwhelming amounts of evidence and not likely to be disproved any time soon they cannot be called fact because they don't meet the criteria of 'fact'. However many scientists usually do call them 'fact' because 'theory' to those who don't follow science much insinuates that there is lots of doubt and that the theory hasn't really been thought out. For this reason they tend to call it 'fact' so that it's easier for non-science folk to understand the abundance of evidence and likelihood of its validity.

You mentioned you weren't sure if it was fact or not so I was just letting you know. :p

Thank you for the explanation :) I honestly didn't know about that, and I've always wondered about the term "scientific fact."

There IS no missing link. It's a fallacy invented by creationists in a lame attempt to discredit reality.

I do believe that there is proof that we, as humans, share some of the same DNA material as the "apes". I don't understand where you're coming from at this point.

I think we can all agree that Evolution exists. We can even see micro-evolution in bacteria in real-time. However, it still doesn't explain everything, like for instance, how rna/dna came to exist in the first place. I have a feeling it's going to be some time yet before we have a complete understanding of how life started.

Do you not believe in gravity, germs, or cells?

I don't think you put Gravity in the same category as Germs or Cells. We can see the latter forms through a Microscope, however, Gravity is still largely a mystery. It's an invisible force with seemingly no source. We can witness its effects on objects, but that's as much as we know about it.

I think we can all agree that Evolution exists. We can even see micro-evolution in bacteria in real-time. However, it still doesn't explain everything, like for instance, how rna/dna came to exist in the first place. I have a feeling it's going to be some time yet before we have a complete understanding of how life started.

I'd like to see the point of when we get to "why" life exist. Not in a "what is the meaning" but in a "what makes these things want to combine this way, instead of like this....". Out of all the non living things we have witnessed in the universe, it is a huge mind **** to think about why things combine into each other, basically millions of little cells that work together in a whole to make 1 being....Like, If coral could think... would it think of it's self as one big being, or as trillions of little beings?

I'd like to see the point of when we get to "why" life exist. Not in a "what is the meaning" but in a "what makes these things want to combine this way, instead of like this....". Out of all the non living things we have witnessed in the universe, it is a huge mind **** to think about why things combine into each other, basically millions of little cells that work together in a whole to make 1 being....Like, If coral could think... would it think of it's self as one big being, or as trillions of little beings?

That's a good point. We're all just a collection of largely symbiotic cells (with the exception of rogue cancerous ones) after all. Are we a colony of cells or a single organism. I lean towards the former. Our body does influence our thinking and actions after all.

I read something a while ago that said that this combinatorial behaviour begins as a form of parasitism, then later evolves into symbiosis.

The Bible and the sciences go hand in hand do they not? There is proof when dealing with both sides. I believe that it's ultimately up to the individual on what you believe I suppose. This argument could go round and round (and it has). I just hope that we, as a race, will progress and just get along. Life is short. Enjoy it while you have the chance. Just my 2 cents.

A scientific theory is a set of principles that explain and predict phenomena.[1] Scientists create scientific theories with the scientific method, when they are originally proposed as hypotheses and tested for accuracy through observations and experiments.[2]

http://en.wikipedia....ientific_theory

Every time a discussion comes up that includes the word theory (pertaining to Scientific Theory) someone has to post or explain what the hell it actually means! That so many people just do not get it, is totally baffling. Most of these people do not know the difference between, there and their, your and you're (you are) so I suppose it should not surprise me, but dammit, it does!