Windows 8 Release Preview Discussion

Ok now that links are live and everyone already jizzed their pants :p -

Who's already done installing and got some first impressions?

Pictures of anything new? Post em!

Bad stuff? Bitch and moan away!

Gonna be installing it later on my laptop but for now, interested in hearing all the details.

DOWNLOAD: http://windows.micro...dows-8/download (Assistant)

DOWNLOAD: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso (ISOs)

(apparently people don't visit the front page!?)

Is an install where I keep my files as good as a clean install? Or should I just migrate my files to an external drive and then copy over? They're already backed up so I'm not bothered about losing them.

Don't you already have your drive partitioned? With any drive (for me) there is always a C and a D. If Windows ever crashes or anything I never worry about needing to backup as everything is already on D. Programs i'll install again anyways.

For my laptop however, everything is linked on the server so my SSD only has Windows on it.

Gonna love seeing how this baby flies on SSD and 8GB of RAM :)

Don't you already have your drive partitioned? With any drive (for me) there is always a C and a D. If Windows ever crashes or anything I never worry about needing to backup as everything is already on D. Programs i'll install again anyways.

For my laptop however, everything is linked on the server so my SSD only has Windows on it.

I have 2 x 500GB Drives, Windows on the C Drive, and my Steam and Origin Games, and pictures on the D Drive, my Videos and Windows backups are stored on my external I: drive, I don't have my C: Drive partitioned, I installed Win8CP as my only OS.

I'm not on a fast connection here at work so I'll probably install it on vbox in the morning at this rate.

I finished installing it on a VM and boy this thing is snappy!

The new flatter aero looks nice :) (still has transparency)

Is an install where I keep my files as good as a clean install? Or should I just migrate my files to an external drive and then copy over? They're already backed up so I'm not bothered about losing them.

Why don't you install it on a VHD booting natively? That's how I have the CP install running at home.

I finished installing it on a VM and boy this thing is snappy!

The new flatter aero looks nice :) (still has transparency)

You install in VMware or Vbox?

Does anyone know if I upgrade my current Win 7 with this if the current Catalyst 12.4 drivers are going to work??

I'm afraid of losing compatibility with Crysis 2 and Skyrim :(

The verge guy said you can upgrade from the CPy , but people on news post are saying you can't. Who's right? Or is there some trick to make it upgrade?

You can upgrade but no apps, files, documents will be retained. Basically it's just like a new install though since you can execute the setup within CP it is technically an upgrade process.

Installing as I type. Can't wait to give my impressions. But it's past midnight here. Sleepy time. Tomorrow it is!!

Workstation 8 running on Windows 7

Guess I'll see how it goes on vbox, I upgraded to the newest version of it today in anticipation of the RP so now I'm waiting for this ISO to finish downloading.

This version works MUCH better with mouse without borders

Great little app!

I still don't like the start screen hover link, its still a 5x5 icon on the bottom left..... compared to the charms hover area on the far right which is much larger...

the "average" yes average user is going to have issues with this, I wish the hover area on the left was larger

the taskbar does feel empty also not having some kind of visual reference on the left that has been there for almost a decade now... even a small rectangle like the aero peak has on win7... just feels like there is a margin there that doesn't belong with nothing there

In my case, I'm using a modified VHD dual-boot install (for interim testing).

I created a VHD and did the initial install in Oracle VirtualBox (the current version supports - and can even create - VHDs), then, once both portions of Setup were done, I used EasyBCD to dual-boot the VHD with my existing W8CP install.

However, even though I'm basically triple-clutching (a VHD on a WD Caviar Green, albeit the 1 TB SATA version with 32MB cache is still relatively slow - supposedly), the RP is (so far) far from slow.

Yeesh.

i like that you can customize it to the way you want it 38218463.jpg
Nice. About time they gave us the ability to change the lock screen background without resorting to registry hacking or third-party programs.