Windows 8 Release Preview Discussion

Why do metro apps take forever to open? The splash screen non-sense. Photoshop can open faster than the settings app.

<bragging>I think the slowest app I have at the moment is Chrome - takes a second longer to open then Mail :p</bragging>

Jokes a side, does it take really that long to launch an app? I've used the pre-installed ones (People, Mail, Internet Explorer) and the Wikipedia app (just for the sake of installing an app), and the wait was almost negligible, a second at most. Tried opening Keepass, loaded in the same amount of time. The Settings app felt fast as well, albeit, the first time I launched (just after installing) it took a lot longer to load.

As for issues and stuff, it's still too early to judge. I do like the reduced Start Button and App Preview Buttons on the left corners, as well as the app titles in the switcher. Was it possible to close apps with the middle mouse button on Win8CP?

I've not been able to figure out how to launch IE in metro mode.

If you change the default web browser, IE in Metro disappears, it's related to security (the exact reason eludes me).

So on running the installer from the CP... does the keep "nothing" option move everything in Windows.Old, or does it completely wipe everything?

Idk if its just me, but playing BF3 makes everything look weird... its like... it looks like I'm playing at a low HZ monitor or something, settings are fine and FPS are 60 FPS due to V-Sync, but it just looks bizarre. And I'm having issues with every time I'm close to an explosion the drivers or GPU's like, half die for 2 seconds then come back.

On EVGA GTS 450's in SLI with the latest WHQL drivers (301.42)

Hopefully NVIDIA will release drivers for this.

+1 for GT 430.

Lockups on IE and Metro apps.

So on running the installer from the CP... does the keep "nothing" option move everything in Windows.Old, or does it completely wipe everything?

Moves stuff. Stupidest install dialog I've ever seen.

Is anyone experiencing high cpu usage with Skype constantly? Like even if idle it's using about 30% of my CPU (i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz)

So Skype is still incompatible with Windows 8? Sad.

Skype's codebase is ****. I wish Microsoft would clean it up already.

+1 for GT 430.

Lockups on IE and Metro apps.

Errors with display driver here too. Also using GT 430. The system locked and a bunch of artifacts appeared on the screen followed by this notification: "NVIDIA display driver has stopped working". This happened in the Consumer Preview too, however this is the first time the whole OS froze. Had to hard shut down the machine. This is not a problem with my video card as this does not happen in Windows 7. By the way, I'm using the drivers that come with Windows 8. Hopefully NVIDIA releases updated drivers soon.

Other than that, the RP feels faster than the CP. Oh, and first post. Registered months ago but was not able to login for some reason.

Skype's codebase is ****. I wish Microsoft would clean it up already.

I hope they do!

Downloading both ISOs at 134 KB/s

Anyone else have Flash installed by default now by publisher - Microsoft Windows 3rd Party Component? I was like WTF, how is flash already working!

I've *never* had issues with Skype in Windows 8 - not in the Consumer Preview or even the Developer Preview (which I found rather shocking with an old webcam and Intel's G41/ICH7 corporate-stable/consumer-stable chipset tag-team (which has issues with USB 2.0 support dropping back to USB 1.1; hardware issue, not OS issue)).

Getting ready to reinstall Skype and see if the run of success continues.

Anyone else have Flash installed by default now by publisher - Microsoft Windows 3rd Party Component? I was like WTF, how is flash already working!

Yes, and it's ****ing me off, 'cos I think that's why I don't get any video using the hulu desktop app.

Hmm, can't install it on both VMware and VirtualBox. Getting 0x0000005D error. That, afair, means incompatible CPU. 64 bit Russian ISO, Intel 2500K, 64 bit Win7, 8GB RAM. Virtualization is on.

CP was working fine on both. Mac OS X 10.7 works fine on VMware as well...

Enabled Intel Execute Disable in BIOS.

Well, from a first sight i'm deeply disappointed. Half a year and almost no changes from CP. Most apps still lacks lots of basic functionality, very poor localization level, very poor performance (very basic metro apps swapping a lot on a cold start). It just not ready to be Release preview. And it definitely not ready for deployment.

If it will be released in a current state it will follow Windows ME and Vista fate...

I know about that. Somebody said that there was a way to just copy and paste in the files and it would work. Didn't know about that.

Open elevated CMD prompt and type the following pressing enter after each line

diskpart

list disk

select disk x (x = being the disk number of your USB drive)

clean

create partition primary

active

format fs=fat32 quick

assign

Exit

Then you can copy/paste everything from the Windows 8 installation DVD/ISO onto the USB key and boot from that

That "Travel" app is so cool, I opened it clicked on some city's picture and I was instantly taken to a high definition street view kind of thing, really neat actually, also loving the other apps such as Music, Videos etc. lots of cool new apps in general. The OS seems extremely fast and responsive, well done, much better than the consumer preview.

mail app don't work for me!! :(

Same. It loads but it only supports Hotmail and Google accounts. Even when I configured it for Gmail it recognised all my folders but wouldn't load any emails. Not only that but it's incredibly slow and requiring it to run in fullscreen is just ridiculous on a 30" display - the amount of wasted space is ridiculous.

Barely any Metro apps take advantage of vertical space. Most apps leave the lower half of the display empty, yet require me to scroll off to the side for content. Even the apps that do use the extra space - like SkyDrive - just simply aren't practical for using on a desktop. I expect this will change over time - particularly as some developers will target Metro apps at desktop user - but they're just not designed for desktop use. The start screen is really the only part that works and while it's an improvement over the start menu in many ways - certainly better overall - it's certainly not what I'd call "great". And as mentioned, Metro apps seem to take a long time to launch - considerably longer than desktop apps. This is likely because they rely on online content but even so it doesn't seem right. Also, it's annoying when you're using an app like The Register as the bright red they use is blinding - it's just horrible.

well after using it for a few hours now, I still feel like the mouse integration sucks... I keep finding myself trying to do stuff I'd do with my fingers with a mouse and it doesn't act the same... if you can do it with touch you should be able to reproduce the response with a mouse click and drag (except multitouch of course)

Me: Must.... not.... install................on............main.........PC....

Main PC: Desire... is... Irrelevant,...... I AM.... A.... MACHINE

• Like 2

Is anyone experiencing high cpu usage with Skype constantly? Like even if idle it's using about 30% of my CPU (i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz)

I am experiencing the same issue. 33% at idling, 2.8Ghz Dual-Core i7.

Fo0Jq.jpg

Edited by McKay