Windows 8 Release Preview Discussion

win8 windows 8 release preview release candidate rc beta

• Please log in to reply
1057 replies to this topic

#16 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:10

Installing as I type. Can't wait to give my impressions. But it's past midnight here. Sleepy time. Tomorrow it is!!

#17 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:15

You install in VMware or Vbox?

Workstation 8 running on Windows 7

#18 x-scratch

x-scratch

whaaaaaaaat

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:18

my thoughts changed about win 8 so far i like it :)

#19 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:23

Workstation 8 running on Windows 7

Guess I'll see how it goes on vbox, I upgraded to the newest version of it today in anticipation of the RP so now I'm waiting for this ISO to finish downloading.

#20 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:27

This version works MUCH better with mouse without borders

Great little app!

#21 x-scratch

x-scratch

whaaaaaaaat

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:35

i like that you can customize it to the way you want it Posted Image

#22 thekim

thekim

Neowinian

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:38

I have no more exceptions to Windows 8 so I will not install.... Wait for windows 9 :ninja:

#23 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:40

I still don't like the start screen hover link, its still a 5x5 icon on the bottom left..... compared to the charms hover area on the far right which is much larger...

the "average" yes average user is going to have issues with this, I wish the hover area on the left was larger

the taskbar does feel empty also not having some kind of visual reference on the left that has been there for almost a decade now... even a small rectangle like the aero peak has on win7... just feels like there is a margin there that doesn't belong with nothing there

#24 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:42

Don't you already have your drive partitioned? With any drive (for me) there is always a C and a D. If Windows ever crashes or anything I never worry about needing to backup as everything is already on D. Programs i'll install again anyways.

For my laptop however, everything is linked on the server so my SSD only has Windows on it.

Gonna love seeing how this baby flies on SSD and 8GB of RAM :)

In my case, I'm using a modified VHD dual-boot install (for interim testing).

I created a VHD and did the initial install in Oracle VirtualBox (the current version supports - and can even create - VHDs), then, once both portions of Setup were done, I used EasyBCD to dual-boot the VHD with my existing W8CP install.

However, even though I'm basically triple-clutching (a VHD on a WD Caviar Green, albeit the 1 TB SATA version with 32MB cache is still relatively slow - supposedly), the RP is (so far) far from slow.

Yeesh.

#25 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:43

i like that you can customize it to the way you want it Posted Image

Nice. About time they gave us the ability to change the lock screen background without resorting to registry hacking or third-party programs.

#26 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:43

I just about got both x86 & x64 ISOs done downloading, but I have to go to class here in a few minutes so I won't really be able to install and mess with it till later tonight :(

#27 contextfree

contextfree

Neowinian

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:47

I still don't like the start screen hover link, its still a 5x5 icon on the bottom left..... compared to the charms hover area on the far right which is much larger...

the "average" yes average user is going to have issues with this, I wish the hover area on the left was larger

the taskbar does feel empty also not having some kind of visual reference on the left that has been there for almost a decade now... even a small rectangle like the aero peak has on win7... just feels like there is a margin there that doesn't belong with nothing there

Still downloading so haven't tried it yet, but I'd guess that this is because the lower left is a full opaque image that appears, whereas moving to the corners on the right by itself just makes the transparent charms appear. So the area on the right can be made larger without causing issues, but making the area on the left larger would make accidental activation too annoying.

The main change I've seen in the videos is that the charms now seem to appear instantly instead of sliding in through a slow animation, have you noticed this?

#28 Lucas

Lucas

Neowinian

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:49

Does anyone know how to install it through USB?

#29 x-scratch

x-scratch

whaaaaaaaat

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:51

yeah lucas just drag & drop the files onto usb & boot from usb

#30 Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:51

I will grab it and install it, as I still have the win8 partition I created for cp, but what I hear from early reports don't leave me hopeful at all.

On the other hand, I will try that shell thing to see if this turd can be salvaged in any way....at least insofar as my requirements and expectations go.