Windows 8 Release Preview Discussion

Got my Windows 8 Preview thang on. Checking it out now. Umm, it is...interesting. Its different. Initial dissorientation...oh ok, I see now.. hmm. So that's where my apps go, oh wait I can still pin them to the taskbar. I guess I'm OK now :).

To be honest I'm not sure I really mind the start menu taking up the whole screen. I feel like it is a better space for me to organize my apps into groups that make sense.

But it is really disorienting not having the start button. Even if all that the start button did was open the start screen, I'm ok with that. Going to the top right corner to bring up the side menu is also not really obvious, but I still managed to find it so I guess thats ok.

Oh, I see..I can goto the bottom left corner and that is still the "start button" per-say. Thats kinda neet. I really like the art direction. The sharp edges are really nice, as are the bold contrasted colors. I think they could knock out the 'aero feel' completely on the desktop and the whole system would feel like it "gelled" more. In fact I think removing the transparency all together looks more consistent with the start screen.

Ahh well, I think I might use this as my main desktop for awhile :). Seems cool to me even though I don't have a touch screen or anything like that.

Got my Windows 8 Preview thang on. Checking it out now. Umm, it is...interesting. Its different. Initial dissorientation...oh ok, I see now.. hmm. So that's where my apps go, oh wait I can still pin them to the taskbar. I guess I'm OK now :).

To be honest I'm not sure I really mind the start menu taking up the whole screen. I feel like it is a better space for me to organize my apps into groups that make sense.

But it is really disorienting not having the start button. Even if all that the start button did was open the start screen, I'm ok with that. Going to the top right corner to bring up the side menu is also not really obvious, but I still managed to find it so I guess thats ok.

Oh, I see..I can goto the bottom left corner and that is still the "start button" per-say. Thats kinda neet. I really like the art direction. The sharp edges are really nice, as are the bold contrasted colors. I think they could knock out the 'aero feel' completely on the desktop and the whole system would feel like it "gelled" more. In fact I think removing the transparency all together looks more consistent with the start screen.

Ahh well, I think I might use this as my main desktop for awhile :). Seems cool to me even though I don't have a touch screen or anything like that.

You can tweak this app (start 8) to basically add a start button and still open the Metro screen fully, or not if you wish

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guess we can unpin this one now since RTM has been released (MSDN & TechNet and others

I'm guessing most everyone here has RTM so continue discussing that here:

http://www.neowin.ne...do-you-like-it/

I'll leave this going for others who are still discussing RP issues.... try not to mix the 2 :)

Anyone know how to change the beginning of the week to Monday from Sunday in the Modern calendar app? I tried switching in the Control Panel, and it didn't work.

Anyone know how to change the beginning of the week to Monday from Sunday in the Modern calendar app? I tried switching in the Control Panel, and it didn't work.

control panel -> region -> additional settings -> date -> first day of week

Worked for me.

control panel -> region -> additional settings -> date -> first day of week

Worked for me.

Thanks. Required a restart, but it eventually set.

is it to hard to windows key d that would take less than a sec for people want in there hd click the folder now stop bitching close all the topics nd why not bitch to microsoft maky they will care as of me and most we dont