Photo

Antivirus for Windows 8 Release Preview?

antivirus release preview w8 w8 rp microsoft windows8 release preview

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:22

MSE is just as good as any other free anti-virus.

Is it going to be as good as a paid one? Not if it's Avira or Kaspersky - but then again, the added protection you get is hardly worth the increasing cost of AV programs.

You can have the best AV program in the world and still easily be infected.

#17 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 01 June 2012 - 17:34

Consumer AV is dead. Time to move on.

#18 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 01 June 2012 - 17:40

Cause i like to control my computer and make sure that everything is doing it job. even doe i had to install it and update it, i liked this. Also i like to have the icon on the system tray.

WTF! This is a bit extreme isn't it? You will see an icon if there is a problem otherwise it won't. That's the beauty of MSE, it won't bugg you for "I am updating" or "Oh I am running here just so that you know" that most other AVs do.

MSE doesn't perform as well as many third-party anti-virus suites and as it is built into Winodws 8 there is no doubt that it will be more heavily targeted by exploits. The biggest problem with the alternatives is that they are simply too expensive. I went to renew my NOD32 licence and the price has jumped considerably and when I read some recent reviews it seems that NOD32 is nowhere near as good as it used to be - in fact it ranked quite poorly.

what are you folks doing on your computers that makes you feel "MSE doesn't perform well"? :/

#19 laz45

laz45

Neowinian

Posted 01 June 2012 - 17:48

People still use AV's???

#20 Cassell

Cassell

Neowinian

Posted 01 June 2012 - 17:51

Norton 360 ver6 is designed for windows 8.

#21 er0n

er0n

Neowinian

Posted 01 June 2012 - 17:53

try this: http://www.webroot.c...n.php?trpd=WSAV

#22 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 01 June 2012 - 18:01

I find it a bit funny how because MSE/WD being part of windows now somehow makes it more of a target to exploits when, afaik, nothing got turned into swiss cheese more than Nortans poor excuse for a AV suit. And didn't the source code for one of the other ones leak on the net a few months ago?

#23 Copernic

Copernic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 01 June 2012 - 18:16

People still use AV's???

So what do people use?

#24 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 01 June 2012 - 18:18

brain works well, especially combined with hosts and filtering list

#25 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 01 June 2012 - 22:08

WTF! This is a bit extreme isn't it? You will see an icon if there is a problem otherwise it won't. That's the beauty of MSE, it won't bugg you for "I am updating" or "Oh I am running here just so that you know" that most other AVs do.

Personal choice. Also i looked at the AV threw the Action Center and found it 45 days out of date. i have to manual update, (after a fresh install) is the normal or should AV updating automatic.

#26 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:39

what are you folks doing on your computers that makes you feel "MSE doesn't perform well"? :/

In independent reviews it doesn't score as highly for removal or detection as paid-for products like Kaspersky or Bitdefender. There's nothing worse than ineffective security as it gives you a false sense of security.

Does anybody have any experience with Bitdefender? The recent comparisons I've seen seem to rank it as one of the best, though I'm always wary as there are so many fake comparison sites designed to get you to buy a particular product.

#27 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:02

So what do people use?

You don't need to use anti-virus software at all. You'd be amazed how far a little common sense when it comes to computers can go in preventing viruses. Frankly, I've never used anti-virus software on Windows at all outside of MSE (now built into Win8) and I've never had a virus or any major issues at all.

#28 pjak

pjak

Neowinian

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:13

"In independent reviews it doesn't score as highly for removal or detection as paid-for products"..."comparison sites designed to get you to buy a particular product"

I think you answered your own question - MSE is free so there isn't much of an incentive to review it...

#29 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 02 June 2012 - 13:19

I think you answered your own question - MSE is free so there isn't much of an incentive to review it...

That simply isn't true. Most of the comprehensive anti-virus tests include the free ones. The lack of reviews isn't the issue.

You don't need to use anti-virus software at all. You'd be amazed how far a little common sense when it comes to computers can go in preventing viruses. Frankly, I've never used anti-virus software on Windows at all outside of MSE (now built into Win8) and I've never had a virus or any major issues at all.

What a ridiculous statement. You say that you don't need any anti-virus software and then go on to say you use MSE. Further, even with good computing practices there are still plenty of vectors for malicious software. There have been plenty of high profile websites that were hacked and ended up distributing malware and viruses to users. There is no doubt that good computer practices can help reduce your chance of infection but that is completely different to suggesting you don't need anti-virus software, which is simply terrible advice.

#30 Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 02 June 2012 - 13:44

Eset smart security, both firewall and av seem to work fine.