Antivirus for Windows 8 Release Preview?

It has been repeatedly proven to be a poor performer. So any Kaspersky/NOD32/Avast users out there? Care to point to a beta version that works?

Windows 8 has it built in, now called Windows Defender (aka Security Essentials).

Dont like this. would like to install one and not just think "its ok windows has sorted it"

Dont like this. would like to install one and not just think "its ok windows has sorted it"

Why? A lot of people would have just installed Microsoft Security Essentials anyway - who's same antimalware engine is now part of Windows Defender

Why? A lot of people would have just installed Microsoft Security Essentials anyway - who's same antimalware engine is now part of Windows Defender

Cause i like to control my computer and make sure that everything is doing it job. even doe i had to install it and update it, i liked this. Also i like to have the icon on the system tray.

Has anyone found a proper working antivirus for Release Preview?

And what about Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials/Forefront Client Security (three different names for the same core program)? What about it is *improper*?

MSE is what a lot of Windows 7 users use (and I used it myself on 7). Forefront is used in business (from SMB to the enterprise).

Windows Defender is thus a LOT less *beta* than you think.

Of course, you COULD always run one of the Norton 2012 betas (currently, I know of nobody else even remotely ready for Windows 8).

Avast should work right away, I'm amazed how they always get their software working quickly on a new prerelease OS. Seen it with XP x64, Vista, 7 and now 8.

MSE doesn't perform as well as many third-party anti-virus suites and as it is built into Winodws 8 there is no doubt that it will be more heavily targeted by exploits. The biggest problem with the alternatives is that they are simply too expensive. I went to renew my NOD32 licence and the price has jumped considerably and when I read some recent reviews it seems that NOD32 is nowhere near as good as it used to be - in fact it ranked quite poorly.

MSE is just as good as any other free anti-virus.

Is it going to be as good as a paid one? Not if it's Avira or Kaspersky - but then again, the added protection you get is hardly worth the increasing cost of AV programs.

You can have the best AV program in the world and still easily be infected.

Cause i like to control my computer and make sure that everything is doing it job. even doe i had to install it and update it, i liked this. Also i like to have the icon on the system tray.

WTF! This is a bit extreme isn't it? You will see an icon if there is a problem otherwise it won't. That's the beauty of MSE, it won't bugg you for "I am updating" or "Oh I am running here just so that you know" that most other AVs do.

MSE doesn't perform as well as many third-party anti-virus suites and as it is built into Winodws 8 there is no doubt that it will be more heavily targeted by exploits. The biggest problem with the alternatives is that they are simply too expensive. I went to renew my NOD32 licence and the price has jumped considerably and when I read some recent reviews it seems that NOD32 is nowhere near as good as it used to be - in fact it ranked quite poorly.

what are you folks doing on your computers that makes you feel "MSE doesn't perform well"? :/

• Like 2

I find it a bit funny how because MSE/WD being part of windows now somehow makes it more of a target to exploits when, afaik, nothing got turned into swiss cheese more than Nortans poor excuse for a AV suit. And didn't the source code for one of the other ones leak on the net a few months ago?

WTF! This is a bit extreme isn't it? You will see an icon if there is a problem otherwise it won't. That's the beauty of MSE, it won't bugg you for "I am updating" or "Oh I am running here just so that you know" that most other AVs do.

Personal choice. Also i looked at the AV threw the Action Center and found it 45 days out of date. i have to manual update, (after a fresh install) is the normal or should AV updating automatic.