Flash Player will not be available on Android 4.1+ through Google Play stor

Nobody said that on mobile. On desktop, yeah. On mobile it is important because we have tons of content we want to watch and interact with that is in Flash and support for it was crucial to be at least optional as HTML5 is terrible on mobile and there are very few mobile optimized sites for mobile anyways.

Then why all the fuzz about Steve Jobs not wanting Flash on the iOS devices? I specifically remember you kicking up and down about that, yet iOS devices are mobile. So you did say it on mobile, seems like Adobe betrayed you.

Then why all the fuzz about Steve Jobs not wanting Flash on the iOS devices? I specifically remember you kicking up and down about that, yet iOS devices are mobile. So you did say it on mobile, seems like Adobe betrayed you.

Only in a mind of people like you you can read it like that. The issue was ALWAYS about Apple not giving people choice and option of viewing flash content that's still a huge amount of the web while claiming it's for the good of the consumers which was clearly BS. Adobe didn't betray anyone. Flash on mobile has been around for years now and I think it's pretty clear that web on mobile is pretty awful to begin with. Be it flash or html5 it's terrible but still finds use. Apps are where it's at on mobile. Has been and will be and why Adobe decided to stop improving Flash Player in mobile browser and bring new and advanced features to AIR.

I have several sites I use whether home or mobile, and I cannot access because my iPad cannot do flash. News sites, business sites, etc. My older Samsung Galaxy Tab (original 7 inch version) handles those sites for me, and thus I keep it handy as well.

Like Flash or not (no opinion express here about the technology, the code, or the plugins) it can be very necessary depending on which sites you visit, or use.

I have several sites I use whether home or mobile, and I cannot access because my iPad cannot do flash. News sites, business sites, etc. My older Samsung Galaxy Tab (original 7 inch version) handles those sites for me, and thus I keep it handy as well.

Like Flash or not (no opinion express here about the technology, the code, or the plugins) it can be very necessary depending on which sites you visit, or use.

Unfortunately there is no replacement. I wonder what all those companies serving commercial content with DRM and other stuff will do now. Probably just make apps.

I thought I would miss flash when I bought my WP7.5 and I haven't even noticed it not being there

That's because most people using smartphones use apps. That's why many people don't notice it that much.

but Windows Phone doesn't have "enough" apps?

http://blogs.adobe.c...oid-update.html

Sadly this will limit Android devices to access flash content on the web only on certified devices (which means not so much). So much flash content out there I enjoyed on Android will now be inaccessible. :(

HAHAHAHAHA and how long you Droned about how Flash was king and getting better and better.

but i will give you props for posting an article basically saying the opposite of what you have been preaching

WP apps are a joke atm

I feel the same way about Android apps on a tablet compared to iOS. All of them are essentially just blown-up phone apps as Google doesn't allow for dedicated tablet apps.

I feel the same way about Android apps on a tablet compared to iOS. All of them are essentially just blown-up phone apps as Google doesn't allow for dedicated tablet apps.

I've never owned or even used an iOS device yet (wow never really thought about that until now... )

but I have the TF101 and Google Play has sections of its market called "Staff choices for Tablets" and although not dedicated tablet apps, I think some of them are pretty decently scaled, and then there is the nVIdia TegraZone which has THD games and they are all HD and look great on a tablet, but I guess since tablets are still essentially infants compared to phones, it will take a while before the market has a decent selection of them.

Most annoying for me is getting a great HD game on my tablet and then there is no support for the dock keys, and the on-screen touch controls are spaced for peoples thumbs on a phone.... either that or a sasquatch :)

Back in the day I thought having flash on my phone might come handy, even if only for the "just in case".

Thing is I can't remember using flash even once in all this time :huh: I would still prefer having the posibility of watching flash content even if I'll most likely not use it, but at least I don't think I'll be missing much.

I'm sure those that really need flash will eventually be able to get it from XDA anyway.

Since when? As far as I'm aware, you can limit an android app on Google Play to only be installable on certain devices, as well as certain countries, screen sizes, OS versions...etc, etc. There is nothing (other than perhaps lack of install base) preventing devs from doing tablet only apps.

good,

now if we could only rid Android of Java

So you'd have Google rewrite the majority of the OS just so you can not have to deal with Java? Really?

So you'd have Google rewrite the majority of the OS just so you can not have to deal with Java? Really?

not so much not have to deal with java but I just agree with the people that say Android would be much better today if google had gone with C# instead of java

so to answer your question lightly ... yes

why the big fuss, this was noticed a while ago, as i said on the main page thread what i want to know it's if air platform is supported? so far i don't see confirmation or denial of this

why the big fuss, this was noticed a while ago, as i said on the main page thread what i want to know it's if air platform is supported? so far i don't see confirmation or denial of this

AIR is very alive and well. It's actually pretty unbelievable at this point in terms of features and performance. AIR 3.4 is due very soon.

It's a shame that Adobe is doing this. Flash is a good platform.

What's sad is that it was coming back in a big way. Microsoft allowed it on Metro, Firefox on mobile implemented it and they have made incredible optimizations and performance improvements to the regular Flash player. AIR helped Flash get great multitouch support and stuff and if they have reignited Flash on mobile they would have done amazingly well not to mention that power of smartphones and tablets is now increasing faster than ever. It wouldn't have been a problem at all.

I mean the Flash Player on Android consistently has 4.5 star rating and with Android activating million devices daily that's a huge market.

The problem is that Adobe bought a ton of companies and stuff to support HTML5 as well and now they are protecting their investment.

Flash is a big joke for android!

Why anyone want to use it?

It is laggy, doesn't load fast, slow updates, makes the website load really slow etc.

not so much not have to deal with java but I just agree with the people that say Android would be much better today if google had gone with C# instead of java

so to answer your question lightly ... yes

I think the only difference visible to users, would be that Google would have been sued by Microsoft instead of Oracle.

I think the only difference visible to users, would be that Google would have been sued by Microsoft instead of Oracle.

C# is standardized afaik

C# is standardized afaik

Yeah, C# is standardised by the ECMA, while Java isn't, but Oracle didn't sue Google over the language, it sued over the API structure (claiming it was copyrighted) and use of some original Sun code (Like rangeCheck)

And me saying Microsoft would sue was a joke :laugh: The core runtime is standardised so they could implement that, but they'd still have to have their own GUI layer and such on top of that (It's not like they could use WinForms or XAML). Simply switching from Java to C# wouldn't gain them anything, apart from possible developer experience.