Road rage behind shooting of 16-year-old Maine girl

Massachusetts police are hunting for the alleged shooter of a 16-year-old Maine girl who was struck in the arm while riding with her family along a major interstate in what authorities are calling a road rage incident.

The girl was traveling with her family on I-495 north in Merrimac, Mass., on Sunday when she was hit by a gunshot from another car. Witnesses told police there had been some sort of highway dispute involving the two cars.

The family was on their way home to Limington, Maine, just after noon on Sunday when the teenager was shot. The girl and three other relatives were returning from a trip to Massachusetts in a white 2002 Nissan Xterra.

The teen, who has not been named by police, was taken to a hospital in Newburyport with injuries to her left upper arm that police say are not life-threatening.

Authorities, meanwhile, are searching for the shooting suspect. Police said the shot was fired by a male passenger in a white Honda Accord with tinted windows and possible Massachusetts registration plates.

The Newburyport Daily News, citing law enforcement sources, described the alleged shooter as a light-skinned black or Hispanic male in his 20s with short hair. He was wearing aviator sunglasses and a gray T-shirt at the time of the incident, according to the newspaper, and was riding in a car driven by a white female wearing sunglasses.

One minute late may save your life. When someone cuts me off, I always slow down and let them have their way. You never know how many crazy people out there on the road.

The amount of road rage these days is ridiculous. I can't even go to DQ (which isn't even 10 miles away) without at least 1 or 2 psychotic people weaving in and out of lanes, swerving from texting, or cutting others off. God help you if you say anything, too - they'll follow you (tailgating, of course) and harrass you until you go way out of their way. It's not just in my current state, either - it's ALL OVER. Scary times.

The "logic" of the shooter makes me laugh. You're upset with a driver, so you not only pull out a gun, you shoot one of the passengers who has no control over anything? O_o

The "logic" of the shooter makes me laugh. You're upset with a driver, so you not only pull out a gun, you shoot one of the passengers who has no control over anything? O_o

You can't fix stupid.

How does this make national news? We had a 17 year old get shot in the back of the head in the middle of the street and it got a 2 minute shot on the local news. Wasn't even a big deal. People get shot/murdered all the time.

How does this make national news? We had a 17 year old get shot in the back of the head in the middle of the street and it got a 2 minute shot on the local news. Wasn't even a big deal. People get shot/murdered all the time.

I've never been able to figure out why some stories go national and some don't.

The amount of road rage these days is ridiculous. I can't even go to DQ (which isn't even 10 miles away) without at least 1 or 2 psychotic people weaving in and out of lanes, swerving from texting, or cutting others off. God help you if you say anything, too - they'll follow you (tailgating, of course) and harrass you until you go way out of their way. It's not just in my current state, either - it's ALL OVER. Scary times.

over here if anyone tailgates ya, you just slam your breaks on and cause them to crash into you, the rule is here if you are hit from behind unless you are driving illegally (no license/drunk etc) then the person who hit from behind is at fault... so imagine that here ... someone is a dick, you flip them the bird they tail gate and people start crashing everywhere that persons insurence then has to pay out 1000s and 1000s for the car and injury