Do You Like Office 2013? Thoughts on Preview

office 2013 office 365

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 16 July 2012 - 23:25

Microsoft released the customer preview version of Office 2013 (aka Office 15). Labeled as the most ambitious office release by Microsoft, ti brings new features that relate to connecting Office to the cloud and to social networks. This thread is about discussing your impression on the new release of Office 2013 and Office 365 Preview. Do you like it, or do you hate it? Do you like the metro UI on the programs? What are your thoughts on Office 365 preview: did you used 365 before, and if so, is the new service better?

I really like the new version of Office, save some annoyances. There are things, like the blindingly white interface that hurts my eyes, but other than that Office looks great. The installer has been fantastic, something that plays a big role in first impressions. I loved the video tour in the installers and tours built in to the Apps as templates. The animations are nice and the cloud features work smoothly. I have some more extensive testing to do, but the initial thoughts are very positive. Finally, I love the new metro look and feel. Except the extreme whiteness, the UI is great, sleek, and pretty.

I will send a frown about the white interface; if you find it blinding, please do so too. this is your chance

So, please comment on what you think of the new release!

Best,

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

#2 JonathanMarston

JonathanMarston

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 16 July 2012 - 23:30

You pretty much summed up my thoughts as well. Seems like a decent upgrade, they just need to tone down the white a little. Just add a touch of gray to the background on the non-"content" areas and they'll have a winner.

Oh yeah, and they need to do something about the dreadful new navigation bar in Outlook...

#3 Mordkanin

Mordkanin

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 16 July 2012 - 23:30

The smooth text typing/cursor thing is quite nice. Makes it feel much more...moderny? Futuristic? I don't know. It's hard to describe, but it's neat.

#4 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 July 2012 - 00:02

Microsoft, for the love of god, if you insist on making the UI for Metro applications look as dull as a well used #2 pencil, fine, just keep it in Metro and out of the desktop application.

#5 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2012 - 00:35

I think they've gone a little overboard with the removal of 'chrome'.

Attached Images

• chromeless.jpg
  • smallwindow.jpg

#6 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 17 July 2012 - 00:37

What are you doing? Because I don't see that with mine...

#7 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2012 - 00:38

What are you doing? Because I don't see that with mine...

The one on the right is a very small window. It's just to further illustrate the point though.

#8 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:01

What is your point? The UI scales with the window size. That's not a bad thing.

It looks like you just went overboard with resizing the windows to a tiny size. Microsoft could have removed your ability to resize it to smaller than a certain size. That would be the lazy way to deal with it.

#9 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:04

What is your point?

That the UI is harder to 'parse' than it would have to be and that content unnecessarily flows right into the UI. There's an advantage to buttons actually looking like buttons, or at least having them separated from other UI elements and the content in such a away that it is easy to grasp the structure of the whole thing.

It looks like you just went overboard with resizing the windows to a tiny size. Microsoft could have removed your ability to resize it to smaller than a certain size. That would be the lazy way to deal with it.

My point isn't specifically about the right screenshot. That's just carrying it to the extremes. Just look at the tabs in the left screenshot and how they can't be readily identified as such and aren't visually clearly separated from either the titlebar or the document content.

#10 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:56

That the UI is harder to 'parse' than it would have to be and that content unnecessarily flows right into the UI. There's an advantage to buttons actually looking like buttons, or at least having them separated from other UI elements and the content in such a away that it is easy to grasp the structure of the whole thing.

My point isn't specifically about the right screenshot. That's just carrying it to the extremes. Just look at the tabs in the left screenshot and how they can't be readily identified as such and aren't visually clearly separated from either the titlebar or the document content.

It's more *businesslike* - which actually makes sense for a productivity suite. Also, I don't doubt that there will be some *dressing up* done later (wasn't the same sort of complaint made about Visual Studio 2012?).

Seriously, though - why should a productivity suite mainly intended for productivity have much in the way of *bling*?

#11 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:58

why should a productivity suite mainly intended for productivity have much in the way of *bling*?

Who said anything about *bling*. I'm talking about usability. I think it looks great.

#12 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:21

Who said anything about *bling*. I'm talking about usability. I think it looks great.

There will doubtless be more changes.

By the by, which *theme* did you choose for Office 2013? (I've done two C2R installs - one on my 8RP bare-metal install, and the other on a Windows 7 VM; both are x64. I went with Clouds on 8, and Circuits on 7. One thing that I like is that both are rather *understated* - did anyone choose a themeless install? That actually is the default - so if you see all that white, that is likely why.)

#13 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:28

I like it from a functionality standpoint, but from a UI standpoint I feel like I should be wearing sunglasses when I use it.

#14 Ci7

Ci7

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony XZ

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:13

it is good

but the UI need to be silver or at least for such an option

and for some reason office theme is stuck at 'none' other chooses never apply for some reason :?

#15 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:16

the animation for the 'file' menu is overly long IMO

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!