Lumias outshipped iPhone, Samsung Android phones through first three quarte

Finally, some good news for Nokia: Lumias outshipped

iPhone, Samsung Android phones through first three quarters

nokia-lumia-800_41.jpg

Nokia (NOK) has hit a bit of a rough patch lately, having

just reported its third consecutive billion-dollar quarterly loss

earlier this week. Of course, investors saw some promise

in Nokia?s earnings report, and it turns out there may be

even more cause for optimism than they initially thought.

According to market research firm Strategy Analytics,

Nokia?s Windows Phone efforts are off to a better start

than Apple?s (AAPL) iPhone or Samsung?s (005930KS)

Android smartphones at this point in their respective product

cycles.

SA-WP-Nokia-07-2012.png

?We estimate Nokia shipped 6.9 million Lumia smartphones

with the Microsoft (MSFT) Windows Phone operating system

cumulatively worldwide during the first three quarters after

commercial launch, from Q4 2011 to Q2 2012,? Neil Shah, a

senior analyst at Strategy Analytics, said in a statement. ?This

compares with 3.7 million units of the Apple iPhone family in

its first three quarters during 2007, and 1.3 million units for

the Samsung Android family in its first three quarters during

2009. It is an encouraging start for Nokia and Microsoft.?

Shah?s colleague Neil Mawtson added, ?Based on historical

shipment benchmarks, Nokia?s new Lumia portfolio is

performing reasonably well. Some of the pessimism

surrounding Nokia and Microsoft?s emerging partnership

so far may be misplaced. However, Nokia and Microsoft

are clearly not out of the woods yet. With a new Apple

iPhone 5 expected on the horizon, and Samsung?s Galaxy

S3 selling in huge quantities, Nokia will need to pull

something impressive out of the bag for the next-generation

Windows Phone 8 launch later this year to sustain its

tentative early momentum.?

Of course, there?s one important caveat to Strategy Analytics?s

report: When Apple?s iPhone and Samsung?s Android

smartphones launched, the smartphone market paled

in comparison to today?s market. Comparing smartphone

shipments in 2012 to smartphone shipments in 2007 or

2009 is like comparing modern-day salaries to salaries

in the 1960s without accounting for inflation.

Shipped != Sold sadly sure there is a correlation but, I could ship 10 million items and sell 1 million....

Agreed.

Atari shipped a bunch of E.T. carts also. But they ended up in a landfill in the end

You also have to compare how many markets each was for sale in, i.e. the first quarter I think the iPhone was US only. If they can hit 10 million first year then I think they will have done ok.

What about non-Samsung Android devices? Or did they just take the largest manufacturer from that OS family...

I've never been a fan of using shipping statistics as a metric of market performance, shipping doesn't represent a sale. If anything this is further evidence of how badly Nokia gambled on the success of WP.

Units shipped, Nokia has had to write a large chunk of them off, and also the market is much bigger than when the other two started, flawed much xD

I've never been a fan of using shipping statistics as a metric of market performance, shipping doesn't represent a sale. If anything this is further evidence of how badly Nokia gambled on the success of WP.

I thought shipping represented a sale for the OEM. As opposed to a sale to the public.

Units shipped, Nokia has had to write a large chunk of them off, and also the market is much bigger than when the other two started, flawed much xD

Really? Did everyone here miss some piece of news that only you got access too?

• Like 2

I thought shipping represented a sale for the OEM. As opposed to a sale to the public.

Not really sure but i would be surprised if that were the case

Units shipped, Nokia has had to write a large chunk of them off,

Source?

That's what I thought, you're full of it. If you're referring to the Lumia 900 data issue, that affected maybe, at most, 100,000 phones, a tiny percentage of phones shipped.

Um all three (iPhone, Samsung and Nokia) are units shipped, so you can compare them.

The other thing you pointed out, when the iPhone came out it had pretty much no competition. When Android (in the case of Samsung) came out it only had to compete against the iPhone and like the 2 phones HTC had on sale. When the lumia came out it has to compete against two very well established competitors (iOS and the 6 billion different android handsets on sale) as well as HTC / Samsung / LG in the WP arena.

Yea, they shipped a lot in hopes of selling a lot but their goal has fallen way short.

I thought Nokia's goal was 10 million Lumia's sold in 2012? They sold 4 million this last quarter, 2 million last quarter. With two quarters to go it looks like they may infact reach that goal.

gotta admit, I was hoping that the title meant it was outselling iPhones and Samsungs already :(

anyways, good news!

I thought Nokia's goal was 10 million Lumia's sold in 2012? They sold 4 million this last quarter, 2 million last quarter. With two quarters to go it looks like they may infact reach that goal.

Sorry, was talking mainly about the US sales and just didnt state that.

And out of curiosity, you have a link that shows how many Lumias were sold world wide?

I think it's wrong to compare the Lumia to the iPhone or Android at this time in their development because the market today is completely different now than it was then.

I think it's wrong to compare the Lumia to the iPhone or Android at this time in their development because the market today is completely different now than it was then.

Why do you think it's wrong? The comparison wasn't made to show the superiority of Lumia shipments. It was made to show the comparison between numbers. It's just raw data. How is data "wrong"?

And while it doesn't show that the Lumia series is superior to either Apple or Samsung, it does show that media claims that WP is "dead" are ridiculous, even more so when you realize that the media said the exact same thing about Android during its infancy. What magical number, exactly, does Nokia need to hit before the tech media can get over its sensationalist, clickbaiting headlines?