SAS hero jailed: Sergeant sentenced to two years after gun found

You can actually own a tank in the UK :)

And in the US, in some states you can own rocket launchers, howitzers, etc.. That's just nuts..

In Canada we have no real issues with you own rifles and shotguns for hunting.. [ and defense of Person.. not property, insurance covers that ].. so long as you get licensed [ we are sure you aren't nuts ], and secure the weapons property.

You can even own handguns if you are willing to go through the process..

Gun Control, not Gun Banning..

Who has rocket launchers lol? Howitzers sure but again as I said does the average joe have the money to afford them? No, hell it took me a while to save up for my ar-15 that's in my sig. was $973 before all the stuff I did to it with all the stuff i did to it its pushing $1,700. To me that's a lot of money now imagine a tank lol unreachable.

Who has rocket launchers lol? Howitzers sure but again as I said does the average joe have the money to afford them? No, hell it took me a while to save up for my ar-15 that's in my sig. was $973 before all the stuff I did to it. To me that's a lot of money now imagine a tank lol unreachable.

I've seen stories about them.. scares the **** about of me lol.

Oh, and as for who knows they can own a tank in the UK, that would be everyone who watches Top Gear.. which is, I hope, everyone :D

You can here too but come on now does the average joe own a tank? Nope does a millionair/billionair own tanks, yep. Hardly the average joe. The average joe here has to save up to buy a gun so having a tank is way out of reach and even then the action which makes the tank actually fire has to be demilled I believe. I don't know i'm just an average joe I have no experience with tanks lol.

http://www.mortarinvestments.eu/products/tanks-2/t-72-42#currency=GBP there you go a T-72 for almost half what a BMW M5 goes for.

Ok so he was over seas when it was found, solves that question. Didn't know if that place was in England or not apparently not.

:rolleyes:

As a responsible gun owner, with a licence and several shotguns and hunting rifles, i stay out of these threads.

But this one has given me a right chuckle.

As many have stated, the guy broke the law. It doesn't matter what he does for a living, whether he was a lollipop man or an SAS soldier, he broke the law AND he knew better than most the sentence that would be imposed on him if he got caught. He did indeed get caught and sentenced accordingly.

:rolleyes:

To be fair, I googled it myself :p The name wouldn't, to me, seem out of place in the UK..

That said, they said secret operations.. so I googled the name when I saw it :)

For someone who said Britain obviously doesn't care about its soldiers its a bit rich considering they don't even know where Helmand Province is. Its one of the most dangerous places in Afghanistan that the UK forces were stationed in for years and relatively recently handed over to US forces.

For someone who said Britain obviously doesn't care about its soldiers its a bit rich considering they don't even know where Helmand Province is. Its one of the most dangerous places in Afghanistan that the UK forces were stationed in for years and relatively recently handed over to US forces.

I was thinking exactly this.

It's all very well been proud of the job 'your boys' do on the battlefield but at least understand where that battlefield is ffs!

He has been tried and convicted under Military Law, not Civilian Law. However, the conviction he has been convicted of in Military terms, now carries over to Civilian life, and remains on his Nationally held Criminal record.

It is amusing reading these threads full of whirlpools, and USian outrage. Specially when USAians claim that "OMG, country XYZ doesn't care about their military!!1". Because we all know that their veteran stereotypes are all lies, eh?

The law is the law - however, based on the information contained in the original post - this soldier was dealt with by way of a courts martial. To get to this stage he would have had a preliminary hearing, and as the punishment at the previous hearing would have affected his pay (ie possible jail time) it would then have been automatically passed up the line for a Courts Martial. If my memory seves me correctly (as i had to help in a few courts martials as an ex service-man) the CM board would have comprised of several senior officer, plus a civillian judge to act as the legal advisor to the board.

Kingcracker, we have laws in this land for a reason, gun crime is very very low in this country. PLease do not put American values on British culture and our way of life. Most people in this country only see guns on the news or in museums. We dont have any 2nd amendments giving the right to bear arms! A very select few of British Police are armed and even fewer of them are armed on a regular basis. Any weapons that these officers use are kept in secure armouries unless required - NO officer is allowed to keep them at home with them. Likewise, any weapons issued to our armed forces are issed as and when required, they are never allowed to leave their bases unless it is for a prescribed parade (eg Trooping of the Colour), or they are on exercise in a designated exercise area (eg Salisbury plain). They do not keep their weapons at home. Again they are kept in a secure armoury on base. So please, keep your gun culture in America, we are proud that our police do not have to carry weapons on a daily basis to carry out their job. I would also like to point out that he has been sent to "The Glasshouse"! or to give it its proper name, Military Corrective Training Centre Colchester (MCTC). Based on the news report, he has not been discharged and sent to prison. Military Law is quite clear on this. If he was to be sentenced to a period of imprisonment, he would have been discharged from service, and sent to a civilian prison. Service men & women are NOT allowed to spend a period of imprisonment and remain in the services. However, he has been sentenced to a period of detention, which is being served at MCTC Colchester. Whilst he will not have the same freedom as you or i have, he will have a lot more freedom than a civillian prisoner will have! As the name suggests, it is Military Corrective Training - ie to make a soldier a better soldier. A lot of junior ranks who spend a period of detention in colchester, on release actually get promotion quicker due to the type of trining they receive at Colchester. And no, i never spent time their - part of my job when i was in the armed forces was to supervise RAF service detainees.

The law is the law - however, based on the information contained in the original post - this soldier was dealt with by way of a courts martial. To get to this stage he would have had a preliminary hearing, and as the punishment at the previous hearing would have affected his pay (ie possible jail time) it would then have been automatically passed up the line for a Courts Martial. If my memory seves me correctly (as i had to help in a few courts martials as an ex service-man) the CM board would have comprised of several senior officer, plus a civillian judge to act as the legal advisor to the board.

Kingcracker, we have laws in this land for a reason, gun crime is very very low in this country. PLease do not put American values on British culture and our way of life. Most people in this country only see guns on the news or in museums. We dont have any 2nd amendments giving the right to bear arms! A very select few of British Police are armed and even fewer of them are armed on a regular basis. Any weapons that these officers use are kept in secure armouries unless required - NO officer is allowed to keep them at home with them. Likewise, any weapons issued to our armed forces are issed as and when required, they are never allowed to leave their bases unless it is for a prescribed parade (eg Trooping of the Colour), or they are on exercise in a designated exercise area (eg Salisbury plain). They do not keep their weapons at home. Again they are kept in a secure armoury on base. So please, keep your gun culture in America, we are proud that our police do not have to carry weapons on a daily basis to carry out their job. I would also like to point out that he has been sent to "The Glasshouse"! or to give it its proper name, Military Corrective Training Centre Colchester (MCTC). Based on the news report, he has not been discharged and sent to prison. Military Law is quite clear on this. If he was to be sentenced to a period of imprisonment, he would have been discharged from service, and sent to a civilian prison. Service men & women are NOT allowed to spend a period of imprisonment and remain in the services. However, he has been sentenced to a period of detention, which is being served at MCTC Colchester. Whilst he will not have the same freedom as you or i have, he will have a lot more freedom than a civillian prisoner will have! As the name suggests, it is Military Corrective Training - ie to make a soldier a better soldier. A lot of junior ranks who spend a period of detention in colchester, on release actually get promotion quicker due to the type of trining they receive at Colchester. And no, i never spent time their - part of my job when i was in the armed forces was to supervise RAF service detainees.

"Don't try to put American values on British culture", oh I see so its ok for the British to put their values on American culture is it? Because I've seen it enough on this forum. Didn't see you trying to stop them. Secondly yes you guys have strict gun laws but like so many British that tried to force their values on American culture i'm voicing my opinion. You don't have to tell me who owns guns and who doesn't. Some civilians own guns, i'm surprised shotguns aren't banned yet since that shooting in England that killed several people a year or two ago. I've made it clear that I don't like a protectionist culture were everyone is babied for their own good :rolleyes:. My parents taught me right from wrong when I was growing up I don't need the government telling me things are bad and shouldn't be touched, i'll decide that for myself. He broke the law and has to do the crime of course but to me its till F'd up that he has to time for something as simple as that.

"Don't try to put American values on British culture", oh I see so its ok for the British to put their values on American culture is it? Because I've seen it enough on this forum. Didn't see you trying to stop them. Secondly yes you guys have strict gun laws but like so many British that tried to force their values on American culture i'm voicing my opinion. You don't have to tell me who owns guns and who doesn't. Some civilians own guns, i'm surprised shotguns aren't banned yet since that shooting in England that killed several people a year or two ago. I've made it clear that I don't like a protectionist culture were everyone is babied for their own good :rolleyes:. My parents taught me right from wrong when I was growing up I don't need the government telling me things are bad and shouldn't be touched, i'll decide that for myself. He broke the law and has to do the crime of course but to me its till F'd up that he has to time for something as simple as that.

Not really.. he broke the law so he faces the penalty. It's odd you consider people following the law to be 'babied'

Yeah I guess the British don't care one bit about their men in uniform. He probably nearly died several times but yep law is law who cares! :rolleyes:

So you are saying he should be above the law and we should allow him to do whatever he wants?

So you are saying he should be above the law and we should allow him to do whatever he wants?

No. Its a stupid law to begin with. serve your country probably almost die then go to jail for something like this is stupid.

Not really.. he broke the law so he faces the penalty. It's odd you consider people following the law to be 'babied'

Lol no they follow the law because its the law the government put the laws in place because the government babies its citizens better not touch that its and evil killing machine! Ban it!

No. Its a stupid law to begin with. serve your country probably almost die then go to jail for something like this is stupid.

Lol no they follow the law because its the law the government put the laws in place because the government babies its citizens better not touch that its and evil killing machine! Ban it!

There's just no need for them here. It's not really treating people like babies. It's weird you keep trying to promote owning a gun though..

I hate to say it, but you are as bad as some of the UK people on this bored calling America stupid for its gun laws.

And who exactly chooses what laws are "stupid"?

You cannot pick and choose what laws you follow.

There's just no need for them here. It's not really treating people like babies. It's weird you keep trying to promote owning a gun though..

Where do you live Flinty? You don't have to own a gun for self defense, seems like a lot of people seem to think guns are only used for one purpose which isn't true. Do people only use computers to hack and send virus's? No.

I know right! While I was in Afghanistan they found the briefcase full of Cocaine under my bed! And now I'm going to prison! I deserve special treatment because I volunteered for the Armed Forces!

Where do you live Flinty? You don't have to own a gun for self defense, seems like a lot of people seem to think guns are only used for one purpose which isn't true. Do people only use computers to hack and send virus's? No.

I live in England. Never wanted a gun and never seen the need for a gun.

I'll just leave this here for all the Americans and how many are saved by their guns.. http://news.national...-world-graphic/

Regardless the US is a lost cause.

It would take all the armies of a world searching for a year to find all the guns in the US.. Not to mention generations of education to remove the deep seeded cultural paranoia so many Americans seem to have to anyone having authority.. Honestly don't know how a country can survive when so many of it's people don't respect or trust their own government, police, armies, doctors, scientists, etc..

Get your facts straight before talking out of your ass and stop generalizing

Don't sugarcoat it, as a Conceal Carry holder, I don't lie to myself, a gun is for killing period. We practice our skills to improve our ability to kill. The difference between me and you is that I am willing to recognize why I own a gun and even though some people from the UK disrespect us American gun owners, I wont do the same. Let them do as they want and be the bigger person.

Don't sugarcoat it, as a Conceal Carry holder, I don't lie to myself, a gun is for killing period. We practice our skills to improve our ability to kill. The difference between me and you is that I am willing to recognize why I own a gun and even though some people from the UK disrespect us American gun owners, I wont do the same. Let them do as they want and be the bigger person.

I don't go to the range and shoot my Saiga 7.62x39 or my savage 308 to practice to kill someone.. If you're practicing with weapons like that to kill someone then there might be something wrong. If you're shooting 100+ yards practicing to kill someone then you need checked out.I can't think of a self defense situation where you would need to engage someone from 100 yards out.