SAS hero jailed: Sergeant sentenced to two years after gun found

I don't go to the range and shoot my Saiga 7.62x39 or my savage 308 to practice to kill someone.. If you're practicing with weapons like that to kill someone then there might be something wrong. If you're shooting 100+ yards practicing to kill someone then you need checked out.I can't think of a self defense situation where you would need to engage someone from 100 yards out.

Yeah, you do that to improve your ego, I know your type and would not be friends with them. and that doesn't stop the fact that a guns function and invented purpose is killing. I carry a 1911, its purpose is to stop an attacker or defend a victim. You take that gun to the range for the same reason a man buys a red sports car, but that doesn't stop the function.

Oh come on the government bans them because they want the people to believe they are bad dangerous things hence "evil".

you are sadly mistaken on this part. Out of curiosity are you suggesting that they should grant him an exception to the rule?
  • Like 2

Don't sugarcoat it, as a Conceal Carry holder, I don't lie to myself, a gun is for killing period. We practice our skills to improve our ability to kill. The difference between me and you is that I am willing to recognize why I own a gun and even though some people from the UK disrespect us American gun owners, I wont do the same. Let them do as they want and be the bigger person.

Yea, because American's haven't bashed other countries who don't' support owning a gun.. please..

Yea, because American's haven't bashed other countries who don't' support owning a gun.. please..

Your right, the OP proved your point well, Im saying that I personally, will do state my opinion if asked, but I will not come out and attack your culture. I respect british culture.

Yeah, you do that to improve your ego, I know your type and would not be friends with them. and that doesn't stop the fact that a guns function and invented purpose is killing. I carry a 1911, its purpose is to stop an attacker or defend a victim. You take that gun to the range for the same reason a man buys a red sports car, but that doesn't stop the function.

My ego? Seriously? So to you someone that shoots for a hobby its all about ego? I don't know where you got that idea and no you don't know me. Lets lets get this straight I never said guns weren't meant for killing I said there are other uses that don't involve killing which is target shooting. I also never said guns aren't used for self defense but I said to me self defense is second while hobby shooting is first.

Your right, the OP proved your point well, Im saying that I personally, will do state my opinion if asked, but I will not come out and attack your culture. I respect british culture.

Well they don't respect ours and if you don't like that I voiced my opinion that's tough. You don't to voice your opinion on anything.

My ego? Seriously? So to you someone that shoots for a hobby its all about ego? I don't know where you got that idea and no you don't know me. Lets lets get this straight I never said guns weren't meant for killing I said there are other uses that don't involve killing which is target shooting. I also never said guns aren't used for self defense but I said to me self defense is second while hobby shooting is first.

Well they don't respect ours and if you don't like I voiced my opinion that's tough.

e

I could be wrong, but thats the impression you give with your atitude and how you discuss your weapons. In the end I wish we could live in a world without weapons, I have a love hate relationship with my gun. I just dont believe this is possible because utopia is impossible Be the bigger person and let people be who they want to be and you be who you want or your no different from them.

e

I could be wrong, but thats the impression you give with your atitude and how you discuss your weapons. In the end I wish we could live in a world without weapons, I have a love hate relationship with my gun. I just dont believe this is possible because utopia is impossible Be the bigger person and let people be who they want to be and you be who you want or your no different from them.

You are way off, everyone that knows me in person knows I don't have an ego. Now that I focus on firearms as a hobby I don't wish them to go away, But I do wish that people wouldn't be murdered by mad men and criminals. I never want to see a time where I get put in jail for something as simple as a handgun but that's pretty much how it is in New York and I believe they still have a lot of murders.

You are way off, everyone that knows me in person knows I don't have an ego. Now that I focus on firearms as a hobby I don't wish them to go away, But I do wish that people wouldn't be murdered by mad men and criminals. I never want to see a time where I get put in jail for something as simple as a handgun.

Then stay in the United States where we have that freedom. But whats good for America, is not necessarily good for everyone else. Clearly the average UK citizen wants guns illegal, who are you to tell the majority of the population that their laws are stupid, are you British, do you have a visa, what vested interest do you have. And dont say its because they make fun of our laws because A, thats generalizing, and B, that puts you on their level. Same goes to all you brits by the way who try to tell us Americans how stupid our gun laws our when the majority is happy the way it is.

Guns are designed to launch a projectile. Ammunition is designed to be less-than-lethal or lethal.

That is true, people like to debate birdshot vs buckshot birdshot wouldn't kill someone (usually) but buckshot could. There was a case where some gangbangers (there were illegal too) ran up on a guy with a shotgun and shot him in the head. They used birdshot. Guy survived and was out the next day.But there are bean bags you can a shoot too.

Then stay in the United States where we have that freedom. But whats good for America, is not necessarily good for everyone else. Clearly the average UK citizen wants guns illegal, who are you to tell the majority of the population that their laws are stupid, are you British, do you have a visa, what vested interest do you have. And dont say its because they make fun of our laws because A, thats generalizing, and B, that puts you on their level. Same goes to all you brits by the way who try to tell us Americans how stupid our gun laws our when the majority is happy the way it is.

They've done the same thing to the U.S I guess its not a two way street here is it sidroc. British get free reign to criticize a culture and they are free from anyone speaking against theirs or what? I couldn't move there any way I'd have to give up my guns and my dog because they think my dog is dangerous too :rolleyes: .

That is true, people like to debate birdshot vs buckshot birdshot wouldn't kill someone (usually) but buckshot could. There was a case where some gangbangers (there were illegal too) ran up on a guy with a shotgun and shot him in the head. They used birdshot. Guy survived and was out the next day.But there are bean bags you can a shoot too.

They've done the same thing to the U.S I guess its not a two way street here is it sidroc. British get free reign to criticize a culture and they are free from anyone speaking against theirs or what? I couldn't move there any way I'd have to give up my guns and my dog because they think my dog is dangerous too :rolleyes: .

No, if they make a thread critizing us, I will respond in full force and possibly even attack their culture, however, I would never start a thread with that purpose as that puts on on their level. I guess I am saying to be the bigger person.

You've started two threads with both criticizing where Britain stands on guns in the first post even though one wasn't even about Britain.

You're first one about Russia's possible legalization of guns ended with "How many Brits will go after the Russians if this bill becomes law?" in the very first post and this threads first post ends with "Served his country put his life on the line for it and now is serving 2 years for this?!? Give him asylum in the U.S and make him a citizen asap. "

Jesus. This isn't ****ing kindergarten!! It's not ****ing ok to bash another country simply because you feel slighted. You come off as an arrogant gun-waving nutbar.

And for the record, you wouldn't "lose" your dog in the UK because the dog's dangerous. The quarantine exists to prevent the spread of disease.

• Like 2

You've started two threads with both criticizing where Britain stands on guns in the first post even though one wasn't even about Britain.

You're first one about Russia's possible legalization of guns ended with "How many Brits will go after the Russians if this bill becomes law?" in the first post and this thread's first post ends with "Served his country put his life on the line for it and now is serving 2 years for this?!? Give him asylum in the U.S and make him a citizen asap. "

The Russian thread was more of a question since they love to bash Americans I wondered how many would comment in that thread. Secondly yes I think he should be given asylum in the U.S for a simple crime like that (from my point of view).

I'd like to point out I'm not criticising KingCracker for owning and using weapons as a hobby and a past time.

There's nothing wrong with that, i do it myself in the UK where it's much rarer and much more tightly controlled

What i'm here to discuss is whether the sentence imposed on the soldier were fair, which, in my opinion, they were.

Jesus. This isn't ****ing kindergarten!! It's not ****ing ok to bash another country simply because you feel slighted. You come off as an arrogant gun-waving nutbar.

And for the record, you wouldn't "lose" your dog in the UK because the dog's dangerous. The quarantine exists to prevent the spread of disease.

I wouldn't lose my Pitbull? I thought they were banned under the dangerous dog act. I'd probably have to get rid of most of my knives as well. Hell probably half the stuff I own is considered to dangerous to be in the hands of civilians there.

The Russian thread was more of a question since they love to bash Americans I wondered how many would comment in that thread. Secondly yes I think he should be given asylum in the U.S for a simple crime like that (from my point of view).

My point was it seems you often bring Britain into the discussion and then when anyone responds you say they're criticizing America.

This is one good reason why we broke away from these asshats many years ago.

Backwards ass country. Go die for it, but keep a handgun and die IN it

Yeah, fantastically constructive comments there.

Yeah I guess the British don't care one bit about their men in uniform. He probably nearly died several times but yep law is law who cares! :rolleyes:

[. . .]

Yes, the law is the law. What do you believe he should be allowed to get away with? What laws do you think he should be able to break, just because he fought for the country?

Yes, the law is the law. What do you believe he should be allowed to get away with? What laws do you think he should be able to break, just because he fought for the country?

Maybe I shouldn't have said that. At the time when I first found out about the story it kinda made me angry more because of the law than anything else. Sure he broke the law he as to do the time. Still think its a crappy law, which I know the majority of people there think its a just law. I mean I have a handgun sitting right next to me now and I look at it and think if I was in the U.K id get 2 years for that??

Yeah he broke the law, so he got what he deserved.

I respect the people who defend my country, but they're not above the law. Nor are police officers, judges, lawyers, ministers, or anybody else. EVERYONE must abide by the law or face the consequences, no matter how decorated they are.

In the UK we have sentencing guidelines that the judges must follow. Assuming that the weapon was completely working and loaded, then it would be deemed more serious than if it was imitation or unloaded. The judge probably had no option but to give him a custodial sentence.

That's the way the cookie crumbles I'm afraid.

KingCracker: I fail to see what is so hard to grasp. What the British soldier did is illegal in the UK as well as in most of the rest of Europe; he was punished for it according to the British law. You go on and on about how stupid the law is, and how Brits make fun of Americans for the laxer gun laws over there.

Can't we all get along? Which purpose does the permanent mud slinging in gun related threads (of which there have been too many lately) serve?

I would suggest both sides accept the differences between the US and Europe when it comes to gun culture. Trying to change the other isn't going to work, regardless how often you regurgitate the same old arguments.

And KingCracker, the way you keep bringing up previous gun discussions and feel attacked makes you look butthurt and pathetic Just saying.

• Like 2

KingCracker: I fail to see what is so hard to grasp. What the British soldier did is illegal in the UK as well as in most of the rest of Europe; he was punished for it according to the British law. You go on and on about how stupid the law is, and how Brits make fun of Americans for the laxer gun laws over there.

Can't we all get along? Which purpose does the permanent mud slinging in gun related threads (of which there have been too many lately) serve?

I would suggest both sides accept the differences between the US and Europe when it comes to gun culture. Trying to change the other isn't going to work, regardless how often you regurgitate the same old arguments.

And KingCracker, the way you keep bringing up previous gun discussions and feel attacked makes you look butthurt and pathetic Just saying.

I don't care how it makes me look. If they are allowed to voice their opinion then shouldn't I be allowed to voice mine? No?

. I mean I have a handgun sitting right next to me now and I look at it and think if I was in the U.K id get 2 years for that??

There are countries out there where it's perfectly legal to have sex with your 14 year old daughter. I wonder if they're sitting at home going "I can't believe that's illegal in America, how stupid!".

Unfortunately this is the sort of trash reporting I expect from The Mirror. To use the headline "SAS hero jailed" is deliberately weighting the story to favour him, even though he committed a crime; it would be as irresponsible as leading with "SAS criminal jailed". Reporting the facts is less interesting than creating a narrative that favours their reader base.

I can certainly understand why a soldier encountering firearms violence on a daily basis would want to protect himself and his family in any way that he could but if he wanted to keep firearms he should have gone through the correct legal channels. Handguns are illegal in the UK but he could have certainly applied for a shotgun or rifle licence, which he would likely have been granted.

I'm sure to most Americans this sort of treatment sounds incredibly unfair and excessive but illegal firearms and gun crime are taken incredibly seriously in the UK. A good example of that is the fuss over Raoul Moat a couple of years back - he only killed one person and shot another (a police officer) but it lead to one of the largest manhunts in UK history and shocked the nation. Soldiers are not known for being the most mentally stable of people and illegal firearms possession is a serious breach of the trust we place in our armed forces. In the UK we treat our soldiers with respect, though they are not idolised nor are they above criticism. In this case he broke the law.