Book Reader for Nexus 7

nexus android

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ambiance

ambiance

Identity Thief

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:47

Just received my Nexus and I'm loving it so far. My only grip is Google Books. I wish I had read more about it as I have found I can only view books purchased from Play and not import from outside of it. I tried Aldiko and it's ok, and if that's the best alternative, I'm not impressed. It has an unpolished interface, page turning lags (which is odd as there is no animation whatsoever), when I open a book it seems to automatically turn up the brightness to 11 and there are no options. For anything.

Any recommendations?

Edit: For me this is almost a deal breaker. My sister wanted a Nexus when I showed it to her and II might end up giving this up and waiting for the 7 inch iPad. At least iBooks can do what I need. Really hope Google Books does sooner than later.

#2 nvllsvm

nvllsvm

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:05

Of what format are the books you want to read?

I found Aldiko the best for epub's and ezPDF Reader of PDF's.

FBReader (epub) and Cool Reader (epub) are pretty fast, but have an even more unpolished interface and some minor formatting problems.

#3 Saint Shiv

Saint Shiv

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:18

Moon Reader is really nice too. There's also the Kindle and Nook apps, and I give another nod to Aldiko for most formats.

I would say a toss up betweem Aldiko and Moon Reader.

#4 +Duble Kay

Duble Kay

They flutter behind you your possible pasts

• Phone: Galaxy S5

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:39

I would throw my vote at Moon Reader Pro

#5 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:49

ezPDF Reader for pdf and Moon reader pro..

you can use google docs to store pdfs in ex pdf reader and open it from the app.

#6 OP ambiance

ambiance

Identity Thief

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:00

I went back and forth between Moon Reader and Aldiko. I'd say Moon Readeris better, but both seem to rape the battery. It doesn't really matter at this point and If I can't transfer the promotional credit to my sister it's going back. It's partly my fault for assuming I could import books. It's a shame because that was the reason I purchased it in the first place and everything else about this tablet is great.

#7 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:14

I've used to the Barnes and Noble app to successfully import other books I've accquired from outside sources. I believe it even does PDF files as well.

#8 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:04

Hello,

I have been using both the Amazon Kindle and Barnes & Noble Nook apps on my Google Nexus 7 tablet and haven't come across any major issues, but I am mostly reading content for those two particular services. There's also a native Adobe Acrobat Reader for PDF files, I believe, but I have not used that yet.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#9 Mohitster

Mohitster

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 525

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:20

Have you tried Kindle app? I think you can import .mobi files in it. You just have to place those files in the "kindle" folder on the disk.

#10 V9s

V9s

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2012 - 13:14

Try mantano reader premium, it's very smooth with PDFs.

Aldiko is unoptomized for PDFs but works well with epubs (and also has smooth page turning effects (for epubs only)). You can also change the brightness settings for it too so it doesn't blind you when you start it up.

#11 OP ambiance

ambiance

Identity Thief

Posted 14 August 2012 - 18:48

Try mantano reader premium, it's very smooth with PDFs.

Aldiko is unoptomized for PDFs but works well with epubs (and also has smooth page turning effects (for epubs only)). You can also change the brightness settings for it too so it doesn't blind you when you start it up.

Yeah, I realized that there are options available only when you read a book. Thought that was a bit daft. I tried several other readers and thought Mantano was the best. They all pale in comparison to Google's native reader though, IMO.

#12 JST Cars

JST Cars

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 01 November 2012 - 22:54

Hi

I've transferred a PDF from my laptop to my Nexus, installed Adobe Reader app onto Nexus and I'm reading my file.

1. Download Adobe Reader from Google Play - its free
2. Connect Nexus to your laptop or PC vis USB cable - you can try Wifi.
3. In My Computer go to the PDF that you want to transfer and right mouse click the file. In the list of options select 'Send to' which gives you another list of all the places you can send it too, the Nexus should be in the list - select it.
4. Disconnect the USB and open up Adobe Reader on your Nexus and select the file from the list of available books

Hope this helps

#13 smith.s

smith.s

Neowinian

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:26

Install the app called 'OverDrive Media Console'. Its a free app.

#14 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:39

moomreader pro, and if u need to just use calibre to convert

#15 Julius Caro

Julius Caro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:54

At some point they updated adobe reader on android and it became hella smooth. Not sure which app I'd use to read epub files though.

I would install google drive on a PC and on the tablet to sync stuff. When you open the files from google drive you should get the little pop up asking you which app to use.