911 Tape: Father admits to shooting daughter's boyfriend

Out of Corbin, KY, do not mess with this guy's kids.

Video: http://www.wkyt.com/...&clipId=7642866

It is a chilling 911 call detailing the moments after a man was shot and killed in Corbin.

It happened Monday. Police say Bill Cox shot his daughter's boyfriend, Ryan Abner.

During the call, Cox admits to shooting Abner and says he expects to go to prison.

Bill Cox called 911 around 1:45 Monday afternoon.

"What's going on?" asked the dispatcher.

"I shot a guy," Cox answered.

"You just shot the guy? What did you shoot him for?" said the dispatcher.

"He said he was going to kill me. I was sitting up here waiting on him," Cox answered.

Cox was describing what happened on Forest Circle Drive, where he lived.

Cox told 911 dispatchers he shot and killed his 15-year-old daughter's boyfriend, 21-year-old Ryan Abner.

"He'd been hitting my daughter; see he got a kid by my daughter. He's been hitting her, beating her up. I just got tired of it," Cox told the dispatcher.

Police say Abner was in his SUV on the street. He was shot several times.

"Can you still see him?" asked the dispatcher.

"No, he's dead. I shot him good, made sure he's dead," said Cox.

"He's dead?" asked the dispatcher.

"Yeah, I may go to prison over it, but he's gotta stop beating on my daughter and stuff," Cox said.

Then Cox's daughter can be heard on the 911 call.

"You killed him! You killed him!" she screamed.

"I know honey. I meant to," Cox said. "I'm glad he's dead by God. Won't have to worry about nobody else."

Cox told dispatchers Abner threatened his life before the shooting.

"I tell you what. I might go to prison over this but it's worth it," Cox told the dispatcher.

He remained on the phone with dispatch until police arrived, then he surrendered.

Ryan Abner's mother denies the allegations her son beat Cox's daughter.

Cox pleaded not guilty to murder and wanton endangerment charges. He is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on August 28th. Bond is set at $250,000.

Source

Sounds like he failed in his duties as a father long before this incident.

Sounds like the Edu system and your parents failed to raise you with the ability to think... stupid teenage girl is stupid also...

You can mess with them all you want now, he's prison bound.

Probably. He may have gotten away with it if they could have proven the guy threatened him, but they said that the guy was in his car, on the street when he was shot, and not an immediate threat to the guy's life. Not that I think he was wrong for eliminating an oxygen thief who would impregnate and physically abuse a 14 year old girl, assuming all that is true, but he's going to have a hard time pleading it in court since the guy was in a car and technically on public property. Hey may be in Kentucky, but it doesn't look very rural from the video, so I imagine the prosecution will be a little more detail oriented.

You can mess with them all you want now, he's prison bound.

Possibly. It depends on a number of factors. First factor being that the guy sleeping with his daughter is 21 while she's 15. Last I checked that's statutory rape in most states. On top of that, if the boyfriend did indeed threaten and have intent to kill him, well then that could lead to a justified homicide ruling.

Possibly. It depends on a number of factors. First factor being that the guy sleeping with his daughter is 21 while she's 15. Last I checked that's statutory rape in most states. On top of that, if the boyfriend did indeed threaten and have intent to kill him, well then that could lead to a justified homicide ruling.

If he was in a vehicle, and not trying to run him over, it's prison time. There's no way you could argue that your life was in imminent danger from someone sitting in a vehicle.

One stipulation of the rules of engagement are opportunity. Did this person present the opportunity to carry out a lethal outcome against the father? Doubtful.

Unless you get Johnny Cochran as a lawyer, you're screwed.

Age of consent is 16 in Kentucky....If the kid posed a real threat to the family, this might not be so open and shut. He might be able to find a sympathetic jury.

Age of consent is 16 in Kentucky....If the kid posed a real threat to the family, this might not be so open and shut. He might be able to find a sympathetic jury.

Bear in mind that woman have gotten away with cold blooded murder by claiming abuse. This is not open and shut.

"He'd been hitting my daughter; see he got a kid by my daughter. He's been hitting her, beating her up. I just got tired of it," Cox told the dispatcher.

So lets see, not only was this guy 21, he was rapeing a 15 year old girl and knocked her up at one point as well. This guy should have been in jail for rape anyway, as for the father, he should have been in jail for not calling the cops sooner and allowing this abuse to continue. All that said it was in Kentucky and they sound like a bunch of rednecks so what can we realy do about it. :pinch:

So lets see, not only was this guy 21, he was rapeing a 15 year old girl and knocked her up at one point as well. This guy should have been in jail for rape anyway, as for the father, he should have been in jail for not calling the cops sooner and allowing this abuse to continue. All that said it was in Kentucky and they sound like a bunch of rednecks so what can we realy do about it. :pinch:

I have seen situations were the mother helps hide relationships like this from the father because she thinks the father is too strict. He may of only recently been made aware of all the details. Hopefully we get followup stories.

If he was in a vehicle, and not trying to run him over, it's prison time. There's no way you could argue that your life was in imminent danger from someone sitting in a vehicle. One stipulation of the rules of engagement are opportunity. Did this person present the opportunity to carry out a lethal outcome against the father? Doubtful. Unless you get Johnny Cochran as a lawyer, you're screwed.

ooo Ghost Lawyers, I'd love to see that in court

ooo Ghost Lawyers, I'd love to see that in court

Maybe an idea for a new Bill Cosby movie. We already had Ghost Dad all those years ago... ;)

/BackOnTopic

That said. I still say we should see how this plays out. I have a feeling there's a lot more to the story than what was in the article.

Bear in mind that woman have gotten away with cold blooded murder by claiming abuse. This is not open and shut.

Considering the kid was knocked up @ the age of 14 and the boyfriend was over the age of 18 at the time, its considered Child Molestation.

I think he could go with the Crime aof Passion, or Protecting his Daughter route, and portray the 21yo as a molester. It wouldnt be hard to find a sympathetic jury

No one deserves to be shot dead, no matter what wrong they've committed. The father should have called the police on the boy and let the law deal with it, as should happen. Now this boy's family and friends have to suffer, due to the girl's father's senseless actions.