microsoft security essentials prerelease

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BoInTheMix

BoInTheMix

MS Leak

• Phone: Nexus 5 32GB White

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:44

Hey guys, we got an invitation for you to the new Microsoft Security Essentials Prerelease Program on Connect. the new beta is available to download for windows 7, windows vista and windows xp, still no support for windows 8. microsoft did not say what's new in this beta (RC?) Build. but if you want to give it a chance go ahead and download it.

Posted Image

if you have a previous Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you need to uninstall it fist before installing the beta!

Download: Microsoft Security Essentials Prerelease Build 4.1.509.0 Directly
Download: Microsoft Security Essentials Prerelease Build 4.1.509.0 From Connect (Sign up to the beta With Invitation)

Source: techit.co.il

btw, i sent it as a news tip to the neowin team, don't know if you see it. have fun to all of the beta lovers! ;)

#2 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:01

There's probably no support for Windows 8 because Windows 8 is already running a version of this but using the Windows Defender name instead. That's my guess anyways.

#3 OP BoInTheMix

BoInTheMix

MS Leak

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:07

i guess, but i like security essentials more then defender (remained me windows vista)

#4 dafin0

dafin0

Neowinian

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:13

i guess, but i like security essentials more then defender (remained me windows vista)

the only difference is the name, it looks 99.9% the same

#5 OP BoInTheMix

BoInTheMix

MS Leak

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:19

the only difference is the name, it looks 99.9% the same

i know, but as much as i remember (and correct me if i'm wrong) there is a more features in MSE then Defender.. and the ui is much better.

#6 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:25

i know, but as much as i remember (and correct me if i'm wrong) there is a more features in MSE then Defender.. and the ui is much better.

The UI is exactly the same. Feature-wise the only differences I've noticed is MSE adds a "Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials..." item to the explorer context menu and has a "Scheduled Scan" (Windows Defender has a scheduled task to do this too, but it's not configurable in the Defender UI).

#7 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:45

For all intents and purposes, MSE replaced Defender in Windows 8. It's the same UI and 99% of the features of MSE, but just called Defender. It's nothing like the old Windows Defender. The only thing it's missing is the Right Click -> Scan this File option.

#8 it_freakDude

it_freakDude

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC 7 Mozart (Microsoft® Windows® Phone 7.8); Samsung GALAXY S Advance (Google Android™ 4.1.2 I9070PDXAME1)

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:10

For all intents and purposes, MSE replaced Defender in Windows 8. It's the same UI and 99% of the features of MSE, but just called Defender. It's nothing like the old Windows Defender. The only thing it's missing is the Right Click -> Scan this File option.

MSE has Network Inspection but Windows Defender in Windows 8 doesn't have it

#9 jesseinsf

jesseinsf

Windows 7/8.1 Support Guru

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:17

The integrated MSE into Defender with Windows 8. They had to ditch one name in the process. Thats it. They just ditched the MSE name. As for NIS, Microsoft may include it in future versions or create their own that is comparable. MS has to be careful because the other security companies might have a cow if MS includes the NIS technology in Defender.

#10 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:26

doesnt install orupdate in win8, as i upgraded from win7 the last preview got carried over now i cant uninstall it nor update it :/ also its on windows update anyways

#11 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:40

doesnt install orupdate in win8, as i upgraded from win7 the last preview got carried over now i cant uninstall it nor update it :/ also its on windows update anyways

It won't, since 8 already has Windows Defender installed, which is basically MSE (minus a couple features & shell integration/systray icon) built-in. :)

#12 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:39

Screenshots?

#13 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:59

It won't, since 8 already has Windows Defender installed, which is basically MSE (minus a couple features & shell integration/systray icon) built-in. :)

yeah no ****, but if u had the prerealse installed with windows 7 and upgraded to windows 8 it isnt uninstalled, which means now i cant remove it or update it

#14 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 August 2012 - 13:07

yeah no ****, but if u had the prerealse installed with windows 7 and upgraded to windows 8 it isnt uninstalled, which means now i cant remove it or update it

Navigate to the Microsoft Security Client folder (should be under Program Files).
Right click on setup.exe and select Properties.
Select the Compatibility tab & click the 'Change settings for all users' button.
Click 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and select Windows 7.
Close out of the dialog boxes by hitting OK in both of them.
Try running the uninstaller again from the control panel.
You can also try at that point opening an Elevated Command Prompt and Navigating to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\ and then typing in setup.exe /x

That should (note should) remove it. No attitude was needed.

#15 Billa

Billa

Auld Lang Syne

Posted 25 August 2012 - 13:09

Is there a whole changelog for this release?