DEA drops charges against fugitive because 2TB of data is too expensive to

hmmm, in the UK i've seen hospitals running their whole network on windows xp! XP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my local doctor runs his stuff via a DOS program! DOS for F*** sake!

You guys won't believe this. But i posted a topic today, the article was from 2008, the video below it was from this month. The guy in it was a mathematician for the NSA, the best they had. He stumbled on a plan called "Stellar Wind" whereby Bush, Cheney, Hayden and George tenet all circumvented the constitution and implemented a plan to conduct not only international surveillance but US domestic surveillance. If you watch the video, he claims that, the NSA is constructing a Massive.. i mean massive building to house huge computer/computer storage systems (huge storage servers?) to house up to 100 years of communications from around the planet. then say if you knew me and called me, they could daisy chain through your data, and generate a profile through data mining that can be retrieved at any time and construct a lifestyle.. do you prefer hookers? they'll string your phone calls to say hookers and match your bank withdrawals and create a profile on you. this video appears to be a New York times OP-DOCumentary on this program. I love how he answered their question which caused him to spill the beans on the this classified program to all the un-authorized agents that he was confronted by

thread I started about this.

but every nation not just the US and this is unprecedented that my nation would create this bastion of international snooping.

this thread made me think immediately about this. Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread. just made me think wow.

This already exists. It's called google.com

So create large volumes of data and get out of jail?

So create large volumes of data and get out of jail?

It looks like that way, Anything more than 2TB and they cant be arsed with it, So go big on your crimes or go home. Copy all your illegal activiy a few times and they wont even bother.

hmmm, in the UK i've seen hospitals running their whole network on windows xp! XP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my local doctor runs his stuff via a DOS program! DOS for F*** sake!

Ditto!

the DEA only has 40TB of storage... worldwide? That's what, a day of Facebook?

Thats 5% so its considerably larger!

This is one of the few cases where I'd in inclined to say someone might have been paid off. There's obviously evidence, no one in their right mind would right it all off because there's too much. If there's too much, that's all the more reason to push for a successful prosecution.

42TB of documents and pictures is different than 42TB of videos. A doc or a pic can be a few MB, a video is a few GB. If he has TB's of docs and pics, that is a whole lot of reading to do and a whole lot of pics to go through.

I would not be surprised the space required to store the information is not actually the real reason why the charges are dismissed.

The guy probably has some "friends" ...

here they still use windows 2000 in some and xp in others... scary

There's nothing special about 15x 3TB drives.

bgdghr2.jpg

Details... I can only see that the case is a Lian Li.

What are you using for the swappable drive bays? I want to get that hot swap bay setup for my current rig :D

What are you using for the swappable drive bays?

I'm using these backplanes.

Intel Core i7-2600

ASUS P8P67 PRO

2x 4GB Corair 1600MHz DDR3

Intel P67 (6 Drives)

Marvell 9128 (2 Drives)

2x Marvell 9230 (8 Drives) (Originally had an Adaptec HBA but it had issues with the new WD Red drives)

Running Windows 7 with FlexRAID.

I'm using these backplanes.

Intel Core i7-2600

ASUS P8P67 PRO

2x 4GB Corair 1600MHz DDR3

Intel P67 (6 Drives)

Marvell 9128 (2 Drives)

2x Marvell 9230 (8 Drives) (Originally had an Adaptec HBA but it had issues with the new WD Red drives)

Running Windows 7 with FlexRAID.

Awesome! Thanks.

One more question :)

I can't tell if the bay supports hooking up to the status ports on the RAID card to enable you to get the failure reading direct from the RAID card itself. Is yours connected to the RAID card at all for this purpose?

I can't tell if the bay supports hooking up to the status ports on the RAID card to enable you to get the failure reading direct from the RAID card itself. Is yours connected to the RAID card at all for this purpose?

That all worked fine with the Adaptec card I was previously using and the IcyDock enclosures, however I no longer have this facility since the replacement cards (2x Highpoint 640L based on Marvell 9320) don't offer a header for signalling drive status. One of the annoyances I had with the Adaptec card (apart from the size issue with the WD Red drives) was that it reported an error condition with any Seagate 6Gbps drive even though nothing was ever wrong, so I wasn't too concerned about losing the feature. FlexRAID offers a fair bit of functionality with SMART monitoring and event notification anyway.

I think my local doctors ran some Dos based system until recently too.

If its a proprietary system though does it really matter? i dont think having Windows 8 over XP will help the doctor do his job any better.

I think my local doctors ran some Dos based system until recently too.

If its a proprietary system though does it really matter? i dont think having Windows 8 over XP will help the doctor do his job any better.

yeah but i cant imagine our personal records are that safe if they are using an operating system that old.

Also they still pay some nuts amount for the licenses from microsoft, so those old computers are still costing bucket loads from license fees

yeah but i cant imagine our personal records are that safe if they are using an operating system that old.

Also they still pay some nuts amount for the licenses from microsoft, so those old computers are still costing bucket loads from license fees

not to mention the maintenance: backups must be a nightmare!

Why not? Do you even know if it is on a network, or a network that is being accessed by internet computers...I have worked in that environment and some things cannot talk to any computers outside of their network space, nor can they talk to computers that have any sort of connection to the internet. That network is completely isolated from everyone else. The only way to access the computer is to be physically at the computer in many cases....need to get up out of my chair and take a walk to view backup logs 3 buildings over, quite annoying if you ask me.