Windows 8 Rename Network

Answered Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 lt8480

lt8480

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 August 2012 - 19:13

In Windows 7 you could do it but the option seems to be hidden or gone in Windows 8.

In Windows 7 you opened "Network and Sharing Center" and then clicked the icon, here it would then let you change the name and icon. - The icon is gone in Windows 8.

*Please note I'm trying to rename the network itselt, not the network connection / adapter.

At the moment it is listed as "Network 3" which isn't particularly helpful for identifying the network. - Windows 7 on the same network seems to identify it by the router name.

Best Answer +BudMan , 31 August 2012 - 16:24

Just some clarification - this is what you want to change. And yours says Network 3?

Could you post up a screenshot of yours please.. Just so we are all clear what your seeing and want to change.

edit: Ok not sure if you can do this with some clicking anywhere like you use to be able to do. I am not anywhere near up to speed on win8 changes.

But you for sure can change it here

Go to the full post

#2 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 29 August 2012 - 19:40

In Windows 7 you could do it but the option seems to be hidden or gone in Windows 8.

In Windows 7 you opened "Network and Sharing Center" and then clicked the icon, here it would then let you change the name and icon. - The icon is gone in Windows 8.

*Please note I'm trying to rename the network itselt, not the network connection / adapter.

At the moment it is listed as "Network 3" which isn't particularly helpful for identifying the network. - Windows 7 on the same network seems to identify it by the router name.

Probably another useful feature stripped from Windows 8 because their 'telemetry' showed no one ever changed the name or the icon. Of course, I did, which is why it's gone now. Most likely.

#3 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 31 August 2012 - 16:24   Best Answer

Just some clarification - this is what you want to change. And yours says Network 3?

changethis.jpg

Could you post up a screenshot of yours please.. Just so we are all clear what your seeing and want to change.

edit: Ok not sure if you can do this with some clicking anywhere like you use to be able to do. I am not anywhere near up to speed on win8 changes.

But you for sure can change it here

changed.jpg

#4 OP lt8480

lt8480

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 September 2012 - 18:57

Thanks BudMan - yep that's exactly what I wanted to change :) - why on earth they would remove the quick click option is beyond comprehension.

#5 rsrcomp

rsrcomp

Neowinian

Posted 04 September 2012 - 19:08

Right click "Computer"
Left click "Properties"
Left click "Change Settings"
Left click "Change"

Same as it's been since the days of Windows 2000

#6 Lee G.

Lee G.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 September 2012 - 19:12

Right click "Computer"
Left click "Properties"
Left click "Change Settings"
Left click "Change"

Same as it's been since the days of Windows 2000

That's to change the Workgroup name, not the Network name.

#7 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 04 September 2012 - 19:59

Yeah, this is a useful feature as changing network adapters (most people do with with wireless USB adapters) or making some router changes can leave you with <My Network Name> 2. Doesn't keep anything from working but is quite irritating.

#8 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 04 September 2012 - 20:18

Hah. I have like 40 times "The Phone House XX" in my list, where XX is a different number every time. Every store has their own WiFi hotspot, every time you connect Windows creates a different network thing. A bit annoying at times.

#9 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:01

Thanks BudMan - yep that's exactly what I wanted to change :) - why on earth they would remove the quick click option is beyond comprehension.

I'm sure they were using the same logic when removing the ability to change fonts in the UI.

#10 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:13

This is one of the few removed features that really bugs me. Makes setting the default printer per network annoyingly hard.

#11 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 September 2012 - 17:16

Probably another useful feature stripped from Windows 8 because their 'telemetry' showed no one ever changed the name or the icon. Of course, I did, which is why it's gone now. Most likely.

I honestly didn't even know you could do this in win7 in the first place :/

#12 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows Embedded Standard 8 & Server 2012/08 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 06 September 2012 - 17:21

You can set this via a DHCP server 015 DNS Domain Name for the entire network

#13 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 06 September 2012 - 17:29

Mine says DD-WRT which is what my router is named in router settings, changing that should also change the name of the network right ?

#14 OP lt8480

lt8480

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 September 2012 - 21:31

Every router I've ever changed only changes the Wireless name, the ethernet name seems to almost always stay as the name of the manufacturer or even worse is given the generic name "Network".

If you were using only a switch to connect multiple machines then it would almost certainly display only the generic name.

#15 PaCpiS

PaCpiS

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2012 - 20:57

Just to say Thanks a lot BudMan. I wasn't able to get a better solution even in MSft website.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!