Nokia's new PureView ad is amazing, too bad it's faked

This is dumb. In video Nokia show's the guy using the phone to record and then they shoot with something else ? and they apologise since they were caught ?

What if they were not caught, theywould have impressed lot of people on a lie.

I already see a lot of people will try to emulate this same thing on their Lumia phone when it is out and the video will be a fail and will be all over youtube and Social network.

mean while someone at Samsung is having a good laugh~

To play Devi's advocate, never once in the original post did they say that the video was shot using 920. They only said OIS (even before the "correction" and apology).

I guess people at the verge needed a reason to hate on Nokia/WP and they found one.

This is dumb. In video Nokia show's the guy using the phone to record and then they shoot with something else ? and they apologise since they were caught ?

What if they were not caught, theywould have impressed lot of people on a lie.

I already see a lot of people will try to emulate this same thing on their Lumia phone when it is out and the video will be a fail and will be all over youtube and Social network.

mean while someone at Samsung is having a good laugh~

Such an advert would have been very hard to shoot correctly. They could have had the guy in the van using a Lumia 920, but that still wouldn't have been "real" because he was in a van, not on a bike. As it stands, it would have been very dangerous for them to make an advert in which someone was riding on a bike, one-handed, with no helmet, not looking in front of him, recording a video of the girl next to him on his smartphone.

I would have thought anyone would have understood that. If what they simulate is an accurate representation, what's the problem?

Breaking news: Advertising agency used camera crew to film advert!

This is how ads are made, not to mention the ad doesn't state it wash shot with the 920 anyway.

I would have thought anyone would have understood that. If what they simulate is an accurate representation, what's the problem?

^^^ total sense.

Honestly guys, there are enough hands on with the 920 already and videos up on youtube from said hands-on that we can get a very good idea of the abilities of the camera tech. I honestly have no doubt about it's abilities and for me it's a clear winner. Anyone who goes into a retail shop in the future and sees it first hand compared to the current phone or another phone will be blown away.

Seeing how crazy most consumers are about taking pictures this is going to be a huge selling point for the 920, and if the sales people at the carriers do their jobs it'll be a easy sell as well.

Such an advert would have been very hard to shoot correctly.

They could've just shot a different scenario; one that did use a Lumia 920 and wasn't dangerous either.

If what they simulate is an accurate representation, what's the problem?

It's an accurate representation of optical image stabilisation (OIS), but it's difficult to say whether or not it's an accurate representation of the Lumia 920's OIS capabilities. Based on the demo videos of the Lumia 920, indeed it appears to have a camera that bests its competitors considerably. However, I doubt that it's capable of the OIS shown in the video and actually shot by a professional DSLR. That to me, is not an accurate representation.

Yes, they never said that the ad was shot with a 920. But having that video in the context of their Lumia announcements implied that the image stabilisation in this video was PureView technology, especially when Nokia's Executive VP was holding the phone out to the press and talking about PureView with that video playing in the background. That to me, is misleading.

Regardless, I'm glad that they've actually done something about this and issued an apology for causing any possible confusion.

They could've just shot a different scenario; one that did use a Lumia 920 and wasn't dangerous either.

[. . .]

Oh I definitely agree. That was my thought, too. When I first saw the video, I was actually concerned that it's promoting such dangerous riding.

[. . .]

It's an accurate representation of optical image stabilisation, but it's difficult to say whether or not it's an accurate representation of image stabilisation by the Lumia 920. Based on the demo videos of the Lumia 920, indeed it appears to have a camera that bests its competitors. However, I doubt that it's capable of the OIS shown in the video and shot by a professional DSLR. That to me, is not an accurate representation.

Yes, they never said that the ad was shot with a 920. But having that video in the context of their Lumia announcements implied that the image stabilisation in this video was PureView technology, especially when Nokia's Executive VP was holding the phone out to the press and talking about PureView with that video playing in the background. That to me, seems deceiving and misleading.

Regardless, I'm glad that they've actually done something about this and issued an apology for causing any possible confusion.

I was talking about if it was accurate of what the Lumia 920 is capable of, not just if it was accurate OIS :) If it's accurate of the Lumia 920's capabilities, I don't see a problem, other than that it is promoting dangerous riding.

If it's accurate of the Lumia 920's capabilities, I don't see a problem

I wouldn't have a problem with that either, I'd be more impressed than I already am with the 920's hardware. However, I doubt that its PureView OIS is that good. In that ad, both the person shooting the video and the subject of the video were moving relatively quickly. Current demos showcased decent, steady videos but shot with minimal movement involved. To be fair, that level of stabilisation is enough for me anyway; I don't intend to take videos while biking, driving, etc.