• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#31 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:41

No jumping today either.

I don't know how's the weather usually in that area, but it seems to me that getting slow stable winds all through the balloon inflation, launch and ascension is going to be like a lottery.

It is fairly hard to get completely calm winds in most places in the US. Unlike places like Europe, we have winds coming from multiple directions. The chances of getting calm winds in pretty slim so that is why they had to get off the ground yesterday. They were saying it would be windy for the rest of the week.

#32 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,923 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 17:51

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Extreme athlete Felix Baumgartner has decided against a second attempt at making a supersonic skydive over New Mexico on Thursday.

Baumgartner aborted his mission Tuesday due to high winds, but his team had hoped the weather Thursday might allow him another try.

His meteorologist Wednesday morning ruled out a Thursday jump. The team will hold a briefing to talk about next steps.

In order for the jump to take place, optimal conditions must be possible for wind, precipitation, cloud cover and solar flares.

:huh: Maybe he never will.

#33 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 17:55

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Extreme athlete Felix Baumgartner has decided against a second attempt at making a supersonic skydive over New Mexico on Thursday.

Baumgartner aborted his mission Tuesday due to high winds, but his team had hoped the weather Thursday might allow him another try.

His meteorologist Wednesday morning ruled out a Thursday jump. The team will hold a briefing to talk about next steps.

In order for the jump to take place, optimal conditions must be possible for wind, precipitation, cloud cover and solar flares.

:huh: Maybe he never will.

He will. Right now its the winds that are stopping him and he has already done 2 or 3 test jumps with optimal winds. Just waiting to roll another 20.

#34 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 10 October 2012 - 19:58

I know what he feels like, the winds, solar flares, black hole emissions, cloud formations, proper angle of the earth on it's axis, etc.... keep me from free falling from 20 miles up. :yes:

I say stop being a wuss and just do it already. We can either celebrate your success or be in awe in your failure. (Y)

#35 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 23:58

He may never jump if he has to wait until things are perfect.

#36 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,714 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:23

He may never jump if he has to wait until things are perfect.

Yeah but things are complicated enough already even with perfect weather, I'd also keep waiting if I was him.

Heck, I jump from a mere 4k and I've spent whole days in the DZ waiting for one single frigging cloud to get out of the way :/

#37 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:39

He’s just doing it for the attention; nobody give it to him.

Hilarious

http://www.theonion....of-space,29860/

#38 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• 1,739 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:37

Next launch window is now the 14th, fingers crossed they can do it thins time.

#39 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,923 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 15:22

^ I would not be surprised if this turns out to be one of the events that is delayed to the point of being canceled altogether.

#40 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 15:26

^ I would not be surprised if this turns out to be one of the events that is delayed to the point of being canceled altogether.

Possibly but it is Red Bull and they have plenty of funds for this. Wonder how much the ballons/gas costs? That is currently the only real expense since everyone else is on salary anyway regardless of if they are doing this project or some other project.

#41 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• 1,739 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:41

Possibly but it is Red Bull and they have plenty of funds for this. Wonder how much the ballons/gas costs? That is currently the only real expense since everyone else is on salary anyway regardless of if they are doing this project or some other project.

To an extent yes, but every time they unpack a balloon and fill it and don't launch it's wasted...they cannot re-use the balloon (and obviously the gas)....and that thing can't be cheap.
This is why the last failed launch was so bad, a few previous ones had been cancelled but they never got the balloon out so it wasn't a massive cost as you said just ongoing people really...but the last one would have been far more expensive.

#42 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• 1,739 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 19:17

UPDATE! Weather window on the 14th is open.

#43 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• 1,739 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:27

Jump looks to be a go! balloon is inflated. Watch live now: http://www.redbullstratos.com/live/

#44 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:51

Jump looks to be a go! balloon is inflated. Watch live now: http://www.redbullstratos.com/live/

Firefox keeps telling me "Standby" but opening in IE the stream is live now

He's at 28,000ft atm, they estimate about 120>130k ft until the balloon pops

#45 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 16:09

Is anyone else watching this ?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!