Adobe Reader XI (11.0.00) Released

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 smashguy

smashguy

Neowinian ELITE!

• 1,795 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:45

Adobe Reader software is the global standard for electronic document sharing. It is the only PDF file viewer that can open and interact with all PDF documents. Use Adobe Reader to view, search, digitally sign, verify, print, and collaborate on Adobe PDF files. Adobe Reader provides industry-leading security; its Protected Mode helps safeguard your computer software and data from malicious code. It also enables a new level of end-user interaction thanks to the ability to natively display rich media content created with Adobe Flash® technology.

View: Release Notes
Download: Link | Other Languages

#2 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,854 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:03

I generally use third party software because i find it to be more stable, and use less resources, however, i will give it a go and see if they have made any improvements to make me want to go back.

Performance is smoother However,

Adobe Acrobat Reader XI Uses around 111 of Ram whereas Foxit uses only 9Mb of ram to open the same PDF file.

#3 Avi

Avi

Neowinian

• 1,148 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:29

Thx. Installed and works well.

#4 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:54

Preview in OS X
Foxit in Windows

Never again am I going to use Adobe's solution when I have the chance to ignore it.

Glassed Silver:mac

#5 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:59

I generally use third party software because i find it to be more stable, and use less resources, however, i will give it a go and see if they have made any improvements to make me want to go back.

Performance is smoother However,

Adobe Acrobat Reader XI Uses around 111 of Ram whereas Foxit uses only 9Mb of ram to open the same PDF file.

Same but 138mb for Acrobat and 11mb for foxit to open the same pdf. I have 12gb of ram though so it don't matter either way but i prefer foxit so it stays

#6 funkydude

funkydude

Neowinian

• 615 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:08

It seems people are forgetting that so far, Adobe Reader is the only reader that actually bothers to implement a sandbox (excluding the Windows 8 PDF reader). Using other PDF viewers is the same as using say Opera, the "security" you gain is nothing other than it's low popularity. Even alternate PDF viewers have to push updates to fix exploits, and there have been several exploits for Reader 9 this year... but they don't run on Reader 10 due to the sandbox. It appears that Reader 11 has improved on it.

Note: I'm not endorsing the use of Adobe Reader (I use Windows 8's reader due to its sandbox) I'm just saying it might not be wise to just shrug it off :)

#7 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,386 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:28

Same but 138mb for Acrobat and 11mb for foxit to open the same pdf. I have 12gb of ram though so it don't matter either way but i prefer foxit so it stays

Use Reader not Acrobat.. Acrobat loads tons of tools and features for authoring PDF files. That's why it's so big.

#8 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:34

Adobe Reader 8 & 9 was an absolute dog, and a lot of people switched to Foxit because of this.
Reader 10 (and now 11) is not so bad on a PC which is at least a Pentium 4, even if it uses more memory, it has 100% compatibility, has automatic update and it doesn't bundle other software with the updates (like Foxit)

#9 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• 12,563 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:38

Adobe Reader is bloatware, to which most have switched to third party pdf readers.

For me it's Foxit. I don't read a lot of pdf's, but when I do, Foxit takes the cake.

#10 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

• 2,737 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:39

wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole, and neobond holding it....I stray away from "reader"...foxit, or any other open source solution works best for my personal needs. Personally, I feel bad when/if people think they need either "adobe", or "adobe reader", or just "reader"....makes me cringe. So many alternatives that are way less hassle. But that's just my two pennies....YMMV. ;)

#11 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:47

Adobe Reader is bloatware, to which most have switched to third party pdf readers.

For me it's Foxit. I don't read a lot of pdf's, but when I do, Foxit takes the cake.

I don't always read pdf's, but when I do, I read them in Foxit!

Posted Image

Glassed Silver:ios

#12 MS Pandya

MS Pandya

In love with Microsoft

• 2,696 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:51

Adobe Reader or bust for me. I don't begrudge it the use of ~100MB of RAM, and it's nice and fast. It's also boatloads more secure (actually important), supports more features and generally does a better job rendering. I've found Foxit to be a bit iffy with PDFs now and then.

#13 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• 1,770 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:54

If you use Chrome you can avoid installing another PDF reader because you can just associate chrome to open PDF files, same for Firefox with the PDF.js plugin (that still needs lot of improvements though).

#14 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,423 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:56

Thanks for the heads up!

Definately sticking with Adobe Reader. (Y) The alternatives don't even come close to being good for various reasons.

#15 Copernic

Copernic

Neowinian Senior

• 3,716 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:02

Already posted:

http://www.neowin.ne...reader-xi-11000