Man used child's birthday money to buy marijuana

MORGAN ? Morgan County Sheriff's investigators say that a Wyoming man used his child's birthday money to buy a quarter pound of marijuana.

Andrew Mook, 28, was stopped in a car east of Morgan city limits because his license plate light was out, according to deputies.

The Standard-Examiner reports there was a 16-year-old behind the wheel and a 6-year-old boy and a 2-year-old girl in the backseat, as well as a 34-year-old man.

The deputy who pulled the car over just happened to have a Labrador retriever with him trained in sniffing for drugs.

A search yielded the marijuana along with three mostly empty baggies believed to have once contained marijuana. There was also a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun in the car.

Mook is already a convicted felon and was booked on charges of possession of a firearm by a restricted person, possession of marijuana, paraphernalia as well as child endangerment.

The Standard-Examiner reports that after being booked into jail, the daughter's mother called the jail upset because at least $60 of money spent on the marijuana was saved for the girl's birthday. Based on street values the marijuana would have cost between $1,200 to $1,600.

source & video

"Andrew Mook, 28, was stopped in a car east of Morgan city limits because his license plate light was out, according to deputies.

The Standard-Examiner reports there was a 16-year-old behind the wheel and a 6-year-old boy and a 2-year-old girl in the backseat, as well as a 34-year-old man."

so how many people were in the car? two people behind the wheel? i dont get it.

"Andrew Mook, 28, was stopped in a car east of Morgan city limits because his license plate light was out, according to deputies. The Standard-Examiner reports there was a 16-year-old behind the wheel and a 6-year-old boy and a 2-year-old girl in the backseat, as well as a 34-year-old man." so how many people were in the car? two people behind the wheel? i dont get it.

News are meant to be shocking, how dare you think! :D

Just shows that druggies dont give a s*** about anyone else not even their own kids.

Druggies? Would you consider the millions of people in America who is on antidepressants, tylenol or even alcohol in the same light? My question is why during "routine traffic stop" did the dog come out to sniff out the car? What was the probable cause? I am not defending the guy cause he clearly had a gun when he shouldn't but I cannot stand when the police go over their boundaries and is probably rewarded for this "outstanding" police work.

• Like 3

Lets consider the Illegal drug found in the car which is funded from theft and given some baggies were empty its odds on the officer could smell the remains within the car hence the use of the dog.As to your attempt to muddy the water with insinuation the term I use is in reference to people using drugs held on the illegal drug register funded mainly by theft and corruption....

Just shows that druggies dont give a s*** about anyone else not even their own kids.

Ha uhh okay. I think alcoholics are worse "druggies" than potheads. Plenty of alcoholics don't give a crap about anyone else when they're driving drunk on the road.. and it doesn't help when they get home and mistreat their spouses or kids

If you wanted to stimulate the economy, the govt ought to give pot to everyone. Massive munchies, massive sales.

• Like 1

This seems like another attempt to bash marijuana.Its more likely that a nicotine addicted idiot will take their last 6 bux for a pack of cancer,instead of buying their starving kid some food.

BTW ,medical marijuana is legal in 16 states.

• Like 1

Ha uhh okay. I think alcoholics are worse "druggies" than potheads. Plenty of alcoholics don't give a crap about anyone else when they're driving drunk on the road.. and it doesn't help when they get home and mistreat their spouses or kids

If you wanted to stimulate the economy, the govt ought to give pot to everyone. Massive munchies, massive sales.

NO NO!! I'M LESS BAD THAN YOU!

Essentially sums up your position. In other words - pathetic.

NO NO!! I'M LESS BAD THAN YOU!

Essentially sums up your position. In other words - pathetic.

Haha quick to judge eh? Sorry bud, I haven't smoked pot in my entire life. Of course this is the internet, and you don't have to believe me :rofl:

Anecdotally, of the people I know, the potheads are far more pleasant to be around than the drunks.. of course your own results may vary.

I was mainly speaking from a medical perspective, I find marijuana to be a far less harmful substance. In retrospect I should have elaborated, but I'll take the time to do that now.

Marijuana has an absurdly high LD50 (amount needed to be lethal: http://druglibrary.o...mj_overdose.htm) and no liver cirrhosis from chronic consumption (versus alcohol). Unlike cigarettes, THC is an anti-inflammatory agent that can inhibit cancerous cell growth (inflammation as a result of irritation or chronic infection may lead to cancer). It's why you don't see high rates of lung cancer among marijuana users. Of the users who do get cancer, typically it's carcinogens from the paper used to roll the joints.

Another reason I'm for legalization is to cut down on the number of minor offenders that go to prison for possession (disproportionately affects African Americans more than other races, despite similar percentage of usage among all, but that's for another discussion). We have the largest prison population in the world, and it costs an awful lot of money to house them all. It's time we quit punishing people for their own lifestyle habits if they are not endangering others.

Legalize it, tax it, put the cartels out of business, and regulate it. Like alcohol, you shouldn't be allowed to legally drive under the influence of marijuana (some studies show motor impairment, others are inconclusive), minors can't legally purchase it, etc.

Looking forward to Eugene Jarecki's documentary "The House I Live In" about the drug war.

http://movies.nytime...recki.html?_r=0

"Andrew Mook, 28, was stopped in a car east of Morgan city limits because his license plate light was out, according to deputies.

The Standard-Examiner reports there was a 16-year-old behind the wheel and a 6-year-old boy and a 2-year-old girl in the backseat, as well as a 34-year-old man."

so how many people were in the car? two people behind the wheel? i dont get it.

5?

16 year old driving

28 year old in passenger seat

6, 2 and 34 year old in the back

So your inference is that we should remove any laws that imprison minor offenders because they fill our jails and cost tax payers money....Hmm hard to justify that I think.As to the contention about not endagering others, I have extreme doubts about that given the affects of the drugs on human senses and reduced reaction rates.

Similar arguments have been made in regard to legalising and taxing the sex industry yet nothing has come of it because it is too hot a potato for any 4 year term politician who values his next election to touch.

So your inference is that we should remove any laws that imprison minor offenders because they fill our jails and cost tax payers money....Hmm hard to justify that I think.As to the contention about not endagering others, I have extreme doubts about that given the affects of the drugs on human senses and reduced reaction rates.

Similar arguments have been made in regard to legalising and taxing the sex industry yet nothing has come of it because it is too hot a potato for any 4 year term politician who values his next election to touch.

who has the right to call them druggies? thieves yes...druggies? what gives you all the right? how is your caffine addiction going? or your nicotine addiction? what about asprin for your headache? or the alcohol you drink with friends?

• Like 2

who has the right to call them druggies? thieves yes...druggies? what gives you all the right? how is your caffine addiction going? or your nicotine addiction? what about asprin for your headache? or the alcohol you drink with friends?

Exactly...This is the reason I lost faith in the general population...People think if you smoke the occasional joint you're automatically a "druggie, loser". What's more pathetic is how brainwashed these people are into thinking alcohol isn't a drug as its legal(people actually think this), and these people slam people who smoke cannabis (like myself) whilst they go out on a Friday or Saturday night and get so blind drunk they have no idea what they're doing. Now i know that's not every drinker, but just look at the trouble it causes. In the UK alone i have to work, pay taxes and keep myself alive, whilst paying for emergency services to help out some idiot who has had 15 pints of cider and thinks he can knock Mike Tyson out.

If people took half the time even researching what they put in there body I'm pretty sure alcohol would be barely consumed. But no, typical sheeple, do exactly what the government tells you and enjoy your liver problems in your 50's/60's, enjoy the mental health side of alcohol (kills braincells) and enjoy the general suffering you put you body under when you drink that next pint of poison.

Dave.

P.s. And on that note I'm off for a smoke from my nice bong which filters and makes it even safer and chill out listening to some music, bothering NOBODY.

• Like 2

So your inference is that we should remove any laws that imprison minor offenders because they fill our jails and cost tax payers money....Hmm hard to justify that I think.

No, they should be removed because they are hugely damaging to society. Rather than paying to have somebody locked up for years the money should go to support rehabilitation clinics and to tackle crimes that pose a risk to society (driving under the influence of drugs; stealing to fund drug addiction, etc). It costs an obscene amount of money to fight the war on drugs, which has been a complete and utter failure - availability of drugs has increased; drug use has increased; violence relating to drug use has increased, etc. By continuing to criminalise drugs you're giving power to criminal gangs who have a MUCH worse impact on society than a few people smoking weed or snorting cocaine. It also costs an obscene amount to keep drug users in jail - rather than these people going out, making a living and contributing to society they're being locked up, turned into hardened criminals and are a drain on society. Portugal has demonstrated that decriminalising drugs can actually have a positive impact upon society.

Just because it is politically sensitive doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Legalising prostitution eliminates the criminal elements involved in the industry and not only does it mean such women will be treated much better (protected from physical violence, sexual disease and intimidation) but it means tax will be paid on their activities. Instead these vulnerable women and made to live in the shadows of society where they are most vulnerable.

PS - I've never used recreational drugs (legal or illegal) and consider them to have a predominantly negative influence on society and individuals. However, I believe their criminalisation has lead to much, much greater problems. People with drug addictions should feel free to turn up at a hospital and be treated for drug addiction, rather than fearing a criminal sentence.

• Like 1

Unlike cigarettes, THC is an anti-inflammatory agent that can inhibit cancerous cell growth (inflammation as a result of irritation or chronic infection may lead to cancer). It's why you don't see high rates of lung cancer among marijuana users. Of the users who do get cancer, typically it's carcinogens from the paper used to roll the joints.

Bull

Eur Respir J. 2008 February; 31(2): 280--286.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2516340/

When joint-years of use were fitted as a continuous variable, thus providing greater statistical power than the assessment by tertile of use, a significant increasing risk, 8%, with each joint-year of use was found (RR=1.08, 95% CI 1.02 to 1.15) (Table 2). The strength of the association was maintained when cannabis

use in the 5 years prior to diagnosis, or reference date for controls, was excluded (RR=1.10, 95% CI 1.02 to 1.18). (Table 2). A significant increase in the risk was also observed with increasing cigarette smoking, with

a 7% increase in risk for each pack-year of exposure (RR=1.07, 95% CI 1.05 to 1.09), after adjustment for confounding variables including cannabis smoking. Therefore, the increased risk for each pack-year of cigarette smoking was similar to that for each joint-year of cannabis use.

Bull

Eur Respir J. 2008 February; 31(2): 280--286.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2516340/

When joint-years of use were fitted as a continuous variable, thus providing greater statistical power than the assessment by tertile of use, a significant increasing risk, 8%, with each joint-year of use was found (RR=1.08, 95% CI 1.02 to 1.15) (Table 2). The strength of the association was maintained when cannabis

use in the 5 years prior to diagnosis, or reference date for controls, was excluded (RR=1.10, 95% CI 1.02 to 1.18). (Table 2). A significant increase in the risk was also observed with increasing cigarette smoking, with

a 7% increase in risk for each pack-year of exposure (RR=1.07, 95% CI 1.05 to 1.09), after adjustment for confounding variables including cannabis smoking. Therefore, the increased risk for each pack-year of cigarette smoking was similar to that for each joint-year of cannabis use.

Haha for every study showing a link, there's also one that disproves a link. I'm hoping more conclusive large scale studies are done.

I should mention that the European Respiratory Journal for which this study was published is a low impact factor journal: http://erj.ersjourna...isc/about.xhtml

The journal article you cite studied 79 people, the study below has studied more than 1,000 in the LA area.

A pulmonologist at UCLA (http://www.lung.med....lty/tashkin.htm) who did previous work associating marijuana use and lung cancer did a larger more recent study that disproved his previous research. His study was funded by the NIH, and if it means anything, the DEA has cited his previous studies to make the case that marijuana is harmful.

http://www.washingto...6052501729.html

I'm looking to see if this study was made into any well known journals.. so far I've found one of his more recent study that disproves the link between cannabis usage and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2665954/) which is a risk factor for lung cancer.