My Frustration when trying to use a tablet for something productive.

:D

I don't know about anyone else, but I share this kids' frustration. Give me a laptop and a mouse any day of the week over a tablet. I just want to throw it, but I never do.

• +Warwagon changed the title to My Frustration when trying to use a tablet for something productive.

My feeling dealing with things that I know but that don't work how I want:

full

I understand the kid's frustration. I would never do it in person though, that's a client's piece of hardware!

• Like 2

On 31/12/2022 at 08:08, Nick H. said:

My feeling dealing with things that I know but that don't work how I want:

full

I understand the kid's frustration. I would never do it in person though, that's a client's piece of hardware!

Yep, I personally just always feel like throwing it. Never have though.

On 31/12/2022 at 15:09, Warwagon said:

Yep, I personally just always feel like throwing it. Never have though.

I get a good laugh from the user when I say, "ok...we have two more options left. I can try <option A>, and then if that doesn't work...yep, we're high enough in the building, I'll just throw it out the window." :laugh:

so no good and valid use case for using a tablet!`?

i use mine 
for note-taking, 
YouTube, 
e-mail, 
reading documents, 
ssh to my home server, 
face time sometimes, 
looking for cooking recipes, 
watching the cooking shows while cooking,

cheers 

v. 

On 05/01/2023 at 07:36, vaticano said:

so no good and valid use case for using a tablet!`?

i use mine 
for note-taking, 
YouTube, 
e-mail, 
reading documents, 
ssh to my home server, 
face time sometimes, 
looking for cooking recipes, 
watching the cooking shows while cooking,

cheers 

v. 

I use mine for 

Occasional reading Facebook
Reading Emails
Messenger video call with the girlfriend
Looking stuff up on youtube (rarely because of aids)
looking stuff up online (But then I just grab a laptop)

consuming information is great, creating is what annoys me, using the on screen keyboard.

On 05/01/2023 at 15:47, Warwagon said:

I use mine for 

Reading Emails

consuming information is great, creating is what annoys me, using the on screen keyboard.

fully agreed - 

i agree fully -  thats why i sometimes take the Thinkpad 13 inch  - instead of the tablet. 

Just find that a tablet is basically designed for a certain type of use and application - and that's where it can show its advantages: In my opinion, it has to do with the properties:
In my opinion, a T. is smaller and lighter than a notebook and larger than my 5-inch cell phone. - you can easily record content, share (communicate) or read in social networks

vaticano ;)

On 05/01/2023 at 09:05, vaticano said:

fully agreed - 

i agree fully -  thats why i sometimes take the Thinkpad 13 inch  - instead of the tablet. 

Just find that a tablet is basically designed for a certain type of use and application - and that's where it can show its advantages: In my opinion, it has to do with the properties:
In my opinion, a T. is smaller and lighter than a notebook and larger than my 5-inch cell phone. - you can easily record content, share (communicate) or read in social networks

vaticano ;)

I hate phones just as much but having a camera in your pocket to quickly take good quality photos and share them.. is amazing.

On 05/01/2023 at 09:47, Warwagon said:

I use mine for 

Reading Emails

"Looking stuff up on youtube (rarely because of aids) "

Huh? LOL

Would never even consider using a tablet or phone for something productive because I WOULD throw it!

On 05/01/2023 at 09:56, cork1958 said:

"Looking stuff up on youtube (rarely because of aids) "

Huh? LOL

Would never even consider using a tablet or phone for something productive because I WOULD throw it!

Aids are my nick name for "Ads"

On 05/01/2023 at 11:04, Warwagon said:

I had thought that maybe that's what you were getting at but couldn't resist saying something about that.  :)

I have a Surface Pro 8...with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

On 05/01/2023 at 08:47, Warwagon said:

So....don't use that!

On 31/12/2022 at 08:35, Warwagon said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I share this kids' frustration. Give me a laptop and a mouse any day of the week over a tablet. I just want to throw it, but I never do.

I can relate.

Once I had to log into the web-based back-end of a Wordpress website on a Surface Pro... without the Surface keyboard and trackpad.  Only touchscreen.

It was extremely frustrating!

I always have a mouse with me... even on my traditional laptops.  I'm not a fan of touchpads either.  (though I will use my Macbook Air touchpad in a pinch... it's great for short uses)

:) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 06/01/2023 at 05:04, Warwagon said:

Ain't nuffin uBlock origin can't vaccinate against  it works great just don't use uncle googles chrome I use vivaldi on my phone and tablet no aids infected YT for me thank you very much 

• 1 month later...

I just don't understand why mobile apps have to suck and give you fewer features than using a computer. Facebook is a PERFECT example. If I want to see how many times someone posted on my swap, on a desktop I can just click their name and see a posting list with the date and times. 

On Mobile it just shows me a bunch of pictures just like you are browsing the Facebook Market place, it's completely worthless!

If I want to see how many members my group has, on the desktop I click members and on the next page I see a total member count! On the phone ... I can go to the member's section but it never gives me the total number of member number.

To search for a post on a Facebook business page, on a desktop you click the search button and type in what you want to search for. 

On a mobile app, I can't even remember how to do it, there are over 4 steps. My sister finally found out how to do it and when I watched the video she sent me, I laughed.

not long ago someone asked me why I have a high powered workstation for coding... they said "you can just do that on a tablet, why have a desktop? Who even has a desktop anymore?" why? because coding anything is a nightmare without a keyboard and mouse, preferable multiple screens, and a high power processor for compiling....

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 09/07/2023 at 14:33, neufuse said:

"you can just do that on a tablet, why have a desktop? "

I would have laughed in their face.

On 10/07/2023 at 08:51, tmorris1 said:

FWIW, you can usually connect a bluetooth keyboard or mouse to a tablet.

I'm the guy with the keyboard and mouse on an iPad and a Steam Deck. Heck, I've even connected a mouse to my phone.

Sometimes you just need them.

On 10/07/2023 at 13:28, Joe User said:

I'm the guy with the keyboard and mouse on an iPad and a Steam Deck. Heck, I've even connected a mouse to my phone.

Sometimes you just need them.

Heck, I even use a wired keyboard and mouse on my laptops! Don't care for wireless devices like those. My fingers feel like they're cramped up when using keyboard on a laptop.

Wouldn't dream of doing anything productive on a tablet or phone.

You do realise that there are TONS of Windows and Android tablets that have thin, light attachable keyboards and can use mice, and in the case of Windows tablets like the Surface, they ARE laptops?

They can also use pens if you don't want to lug a mouse and like to draw/sketch.

Perhaps the problem isn't the tablet, but the way you've chosen to use it?

I mean, even the iPad can have a keyboard attached, although it is heavier and clunkier than the other options. Mouse - 'sort of'.