Photo

Windows Phone 8. Like it? Buying it?

poll windows phone 8

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

Poll: Windows Phone

Like it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Buying it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which device you like the most?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 TrekRich

TrekRich

Neowinian

Posted 30 October 2012 - 19:14

I really want the Lumia 920 but its on EE here in the UK and the signal sucks where i live. Just had a go on my gf's iphone 5 and the apps are really great. So really torn on what to do. I can upgrade in Jan and its killing me having to wait :cry: I have a Lumia 710 at the moment and its great. But the lack of app support on the 710 is getting annoying now. Then again will it be any better for the WP 8?

#32 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 30 October 2012 - 19:19

Why the **** would you buy a Windows based phone when you have a Mac? What did you think was going to happen? As for lack of apps for WP8, it's been out for one ****ing day. :|

Right... One should only buy iOS devices if they run Mac OS and Android if they run Linux... Except Windows is the #1 desktop OS and Windows Phone is barely #4 in mobile OSs so the world doesn't seem to follow your flawed logic.

#33 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 30 October 2012 - 19:39

BUILD just started and all but already from the little bit they showed at the WP8 segment it's looking like a very good update. There was a big list of new features/APIs that developers can take advantage of for their apps which means we should be in for some very good apps and games in 2013. Plus they're making it pretty easy to port from other platforms or go from Win8 to WP8 and vice versa. The next year should be very interesting.

#34 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 31 October 2012 - 00:11

I would have to play with one in person before I would say but based on Windows 8 on my laptop, I would now consider buying a Windows Phone. Probably one for Nokia.

#35 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 31 October 2012 - 00:40

With all the under the hood changes in WP the potential here is monstrous. If you watched any of the BUILD Keynotes, in my opinion its easy to see that Windows Phone has the potential to be leaps and bounds more powerful and at the same time more user inclined than any platform out as of right now. Of course, this is all predicated on devs taking advantage of what the new kernel, APIs, game engines, etc. bring.

Combine all of that with the sheer integration with Windows, and Xbox, and MS services and this thing can be massive. That being said, I'll be grabbing me something here in the next couple of weeks (most likely the 810 or 8X).

#36 Josh_LosAltosHills

Josh_LosAltosHills

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5. Waiting on New Nokia Phones

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:04

I like WIndowsPhone. Have since day 1. I like the new hardware. The lack of a release date and the lack of major apps 3 years in has me getting an S3 tomorrow. I'll get it off contract so I can see where WP is late next year.

#37 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 31 October 2012 - 19:16

Sorry iOS and Android users, but the Start Screen on WP8 takes it all. Highly functional, and highly glamorous. Kudos to Microsoft for such a beautiful UI.

#38 cfew

cfew

Neowinian

Posted 31 October 2012 - 19:18

I have preordered the lumia 920, and I even got a wireless charger included. Also, this will be my first smartphone, I was planing to go for the 900 first, but decided to wait for wp8 just to be sure i get the full experience.
My main worry is about the app availability, but i must say i feel a bit better after watching some of the anouncments lately concerning the market place.
Just cant wait to get my hands on it.

#39 techfreak

techfreak

Neowinian

Posted 31 October 2012 - 20:47

I am planning to get it to replace a corporate-issued Blackberry. I am very much into the Microsoft (and Google) ecosystem, and so I look forward deep integration with Exchange, Hotmail and things like Skydrive (all of which are avalaible on Android and iPhone, I know).

Its finally on the att.com web page (but no date or price):

http://www.att.com/s...bid=gQVTc_k3GUp

#40 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:24

I like WIndowsPhone. Have since day 1. I like the new hardware. The lack of a release date and the lack of major apps 3 years in has me getting an S3 tomorrow. I'll get it off contract so I can see where WP is late next year.

lack of major apps, such as?
They pretty much gave all release and pricing info that you need to know a day before your post.

#41 Subhadip

Subhadip

Neowinian

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:09

WP8 looks awesome. Everything great about WP7.5 just made better with all its drawbacks addressed. I am going for 8X, incredible design.

The "lack of major apps" complaint is overblown. I don't find anything missing and mobile Office / Skydrive, an always-on and deeply integrated Skype and the great first party apps (this time including Nokia Maps!) hold much more weight to me, not to mention an awesome interface which makes iOS and Android look thoroughly obsolete.

Of course, one should look at what apps they need and what they can't live without and make a decision accordingly.

#42 bogas04

bogas04

This title is bogus

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:30

Tough call really , while 8x looks sexier , is lighter and cheaper than 920 , 920 has better screen , touch , camera. I don't know if it's worth to spend Posted Image10k or so for those features... Also I don't really like the gloss they added to 920's body :/

#43 subcld

subcld

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 720 + 520

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:47

each one has a unique hardware feature. but Lumia 920 is my favorite
i'll decide between 920 and 8x in local store price will be one of major advantages

#44 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 November 2012 - 18:03

Sorry iOS and Android users, but the Start Screen on WP8 takes it all. Highly functional, and highly glamorous. Kudos to Microsoft for such a beautiful UI.

Subjective opinion, not objective fact. I for one thinks the WP UI looks vile.

#45 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 01 November 2012 - 18:18

Subjective opinion, not objective fact. I for one thinks the WP UI looks vile.

It's very subjective, everyone has their own personal taste. The iOS home screen UI is extremely useless as it is just a page of static icons. WP is nice, since some of the tiles are live, and can show you quick information at a glance. The only problem is that more developers need to support live tiles. I think Android has the most informational UI as the widgets show the most information and are more detailed than some of the live tiles. The widgets are more flexible in that they can be (re)sized, and you have multiple home screens to display different information per each screen.