Windows Phone 8. Like it? Buying it?

Windows Phone  

288 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lord Method Man

I don't see an option in the second question for existing Windows Phone users.

Kaneitto

I'm buying a Lumia 920 as soon as I can find a good site with a SIM free handset.

• Like 1
Muhammad Farrukh

I don't see an option in the second question for existing Windows Phone users.

Added

+primortal

I'm on VZW and soo badly want a 920. I have no interest in the HTC and might have to settle for the Samsung once more info is released for it.

• Like 1
Nick H.

I've not seen or used enough WP7 handsets to be able to tell the difference between WP7 and WP8, so I can't really comment on whether I like it or not. But I'm going to stick with my Android phone. (Y)

daniel_rh

I'm upgrading from WP7.5 but I'm gonna wait until next year, this year my money is for a Tablet with Windows 8, a Samsung ATIV SmartPC Pro 700T :woot:

• Like 2
123456789A

A 920 for me for sure. I really enjoyed the 900 and Nokia's app support has been outstanding.

• Like 2
Osiris

What your poll fails to take into account is all the damn frustration of trying to get a device. Nokia and HTC had 'announcements' a cpl months ago...we've had a launch today and it doesn't look like Aus will get any HTC/Nokia devices till end of Nov. HTC wouldnt even give a firm date on when their devices would hit shelves here (at aus launch) Even trying to import a HTC 8X looks like I will be waiting till mid november from all accounts.

My excitement for this platform and devices goes up and down and my patience for it is rapidly decreasing. The platform was brand new and I managed to get an Omnia 7 without effort and locally very quickly after the WP7 launch, not sure how things have gone backwards this time around.

• Like 2
spudtrooper

I enjoyed my samsung focus for 18 months, then i broke it and got a warranty replacement of the samsung focus 2 for a few months and i'm just waiting for ATT so i can get 2x920's for the wife and myself.

Unfortunately work gave me an iphone 4s on verizon.. even though it has a ton of apps, the integration of services is **** poor and the ui is inconsistent at best.. i may wait till verizon has a 92x (maybe a 922 in 6 months?)

• Like 1
+LogicalApex

I'll be skipping WP8. I was an early adopter for WP7 with both a Dell Venue Pro and Nokia Lumia 800 and Lumia 900, but MS really botched it all this time around.

We get the SDK today, for starters, and there were no ground breaking features in there that should have led to the death of my Lumia 900 on WP 7.8. I seriously saw nothing compelling in their launch at all; it was depressing.

The hardware from Nokia is looking awesome, but I'm no longer happy with the platform. I feel MS wasted 2 years porting WP7 to NT to make it work on the newer base. They need to stop rebooting this platform if they want people to keep paying attention.

• Like 4
Old Man Pickle

I'm coming over from iOS, played with a Lumia 900 for a few days and loved the Live Tiles/Metro/typography UI. I'll miss a few iOS apps (Feedly & a few others) and cydia.

Can you even jailbreak a Windows Phone?!

neo1911

Don't flame me, but I found the whole lineup disappointing. My main concern: Is Adreno 305 comparable with PowerVR SGX543 MP3 found in iPhone 5 or Mali 604 in upcomming Nexus 10?

Lord Method Man

Don't flame me, but I found the whole lineup disappointing.

I did too with the exception of the ATIV S. It's the only model with the specs I need to upgrade from my current handset.

Xilo

I would if my contract was up. Still have another year. I'll wait for Windows Phone 9 next year. By then, it should have enough polish and app support to be really good.

.Neo

I gave Microsoft a fair chance again by getting myself a Nokia Lumia 900. I really looked forward to trying out a new platform after owning an Android and then BlackBerry smartphone. While I do like Windows Phone's interface a lot, ultimately there were simply too many inconveniences and limitations that made me stop enjoying the product as a whole.

• Third-party app support is simply terrible compared to iOS and overall Microsoft does a very poor job at keeping their own apps up-to-date. Both Facebook and Weather haven't seen any substantial improvements since early July and are extremely slow at updating. Not to mention the lack of push notifications.
  • I've been having quite some issues with my internet connection. Especially the Facebook app is extremely sensitive and times out quickly. Internet Explorer is extremely slow at loading websites and crashes frequently.
  • On a regular basis the Lumia 900 freezes and resets when listening to music. And no, there's nothing wrong with my AAC files since they're not causing any problems on any other device. I've been hearing the same thing from some people around me.
  • Mac synchronization is a bitch. There's simply no easy way to transfer bookmarks from Safari to Windows Phone. No way to directly import my contacts into Windows Live. Hell, Windows Live/Outlook won't even allow me to import contacts from Outlook for Mac.
  • No wireless syncing on a Mac.
  • The fact I can't set Google as my default search engine is incredibly annoying.
  • Battery life is disappointing, even compared to my BlackBerry Torch 9860.

The stunt Microsoft pulled with Windows Phone 7.8 and how they're still refusing to provide us with details on what to expect made decide to get an iPhone for the very first time. Maybe if the platform matures a bit and Microsoft learns how to treat their customers properly I'll give Windows Phone another shot.

That said the Nokia part has been largely positive. I love the phone design and its sturdiness (granted it's a bit bulky and the Lumia 920 doesn't really improve on that). Nokia Drive is amazing and they frequently update the rest of their apps. The thing that really killed the Lumia 920 option for me is the lack of apps, poor Mac support and few details on Windows Phone 8.

Before anyone starts with the whole "I haven't experienced any of those issues"-routine: Good for you.

• Like 2
Noir Angel

No. Sticking with Android. Not seen enough evidence that it provides enough killer features to switch, and I still can't get over my dislike for the way they have designed their homescreen.

ahhell

I gave Microsoft a fair chance again by getting myself a Nokia Lumia 900. I really looked forward to trying out a new platform after owning an Android and then BlackBerry smartphone. While I do like Windows Phone's interface a lot, ultimately there were simply too many inconveniences and limitations that made me stop enjoying the product as a whole.

• Third-party app support is simply terrible compared to iOS and overall Microsoft does a very poor job at keeping their own apps up-to-date. Both Facebook and Weather haven't seen any substantial improvements since early July and are extremely slow at updating. Not to mention the lack of push notifications.
  • I've been having quite some issues with my internet connection. Especially the Facebook app is extremely sensitive and times out quickly. Internet Explorer is extremely slow at loading websites and crashes frequently.
  • On a regular basis the Lumia 900 freezes and resets when listening to music. And no, there's nothing wrong with my AAC files since they're not causing any problems on any other device. I've been hearing the same thing from some people around me.
  • Mac synchronization is a bitch. There's simply no easy way to transfer bookmarks from Safari to Windows Phone. No way to directly import my contacts into Windows Live. Hell, Windows Live/Outlook won't even allow me to import contacts from Outlook for Mac.
  • The fact I can't set Google as my default search engine is incredibly annoying.

The stunt Microsoft pulled with Windows Phone 7.8 and how they're still refusing to provide us with details on what to expect made decide to get an iPhone for the very first time. Maybe if the platform matures a bit and Microsoft learns how to treat their customers properly I'll give Windows Phone another shot.

That said the Nokia part has been largely positive. I love the phone design and its sturdiness (granted it's a bit bulky and the Lumia 920 doesn't really improve on that). Nokia Drive is amazing and they frequently update the rest of their apps. The thing that really killed the Lumia 920 option for me is the lack of apps, poor Mac support and few details on Windows Phone 8.

Before anyone starts with the whole "I haven't experienced any of those issues"-routine: Good for you.

Why the **** would you buy a Windows based phone when you have a Mac? What did you think was going to happen? As for lack of apps for WP8, it's been out for one ****ing day. :|

.Neo

Why the **** would you buy a Windows based phone when you have a Mac? What did you think was going to happen? As for lack of apps for WP8, it's been out for one ****ing day. :|

Because I like to try out new stuff and last time I checked the iPhone and Android play nice with Windows. There's really no valid reason why Windows Live couldn't support simple vCards. It's an open format after all. There are even fewer reasons to think of why Microsoft won't support their own Outlook for Mac library format in Windows Live.

Obviously I'm referring to app support on the Windows Phone platform as a whole. You do realize Windows Phone 8 supports Windows Phone 7.x apps right? Also, do you think cursing makes your post more interesting?

mr_sock_00

Good question to ask on Neowin....

I would consider purchasing one for my parents.

tsupersonic

I love the OS, but WP7.x hasn't worked for me (since it didn't have repeating text msg. notifications). I don't think it will be popular in the market share - it just is too far behind in the app. ecosystem, and unfortunately doesn't get the attention it deserves.

I personally want to see: 1) Repeat (multiple) notifications for text messages and 2) More apps/customization/features - at the moment, there are no unique features that are any different from other mobile platforms. 3) Native tethering without paying carrier fees. 4) Deep Google voice/maps integration. I am waiting for more reviews to see if 1, 2, 3, and 4 are met, and if they are WP8 is my next platform on Verizon. Sadly, I'll have to buy the phone outright to keep my unlimited data. Otherwise, I'm very content with my Galaxy Nexus + unlimited data (LTE). There are some Android really excels at, that I feel I can't live without, and I can't see me replacing the GN anytime soon.

Brandon H

I'm on VZW and soo badly want a 920. I have no interest in the HTC and might have to settle for the Samsung once more info is released for it.

rumors of the 922 are still floating around, so I'm still hoping it'll appear on the roster early next year
+primortal

rumors of the 922 are still floating around, so I'm still hoping it'll appear on the roster early next year

Hearing the same, fingers so crossed that its true.

Muhammad Farrukh

As far as I know, point number 1, to some extent, 2, 3 are resolved. It syncs with iTunes now. And Battery Life is supposed to have gotten better also.

pack34

I'm waiting until the holiday sales hit. Hopefully they'll have a BOGO offer so I can upgrade my wife's phone along with mine.